August 2016 Moms

Re: UO 3.4.16

• Options
    Definitely a UO....
    I'm really getting tired of all of the posts on Facebook about gender identity/transgender. I'm researching and reading about it and I REALLY just don't get it; I "identify" as female because I have lady parts, not because I fit into the social norms of being a "typical" woman (which most women don't). If you have a deep-seated desire to wear makeup and dresses, then cool, but in my opinion, that isn't the same as "identifying as female." I seriously just don't understand.
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    MrsrundellMrsrundell member
    edited March 2016
    @texasmama2014 hah- I annoy my girlfriends with my overly positive and optimistic sayings but they just throw things at me and laugh at how corny I am. Lol im a dork - can't help it!! 

I get so irritated when people constantly correct others grammar, punctuation, spelling, etc.  It just comes off as so pretentious to me.  It's a bit classless to make someone else feel bad or embarrass them over a stupid comma. I was a copy editor for years so, I get it but, just get over yourself!! Unless the person using bad grammar is an ignorant a-hole bashing others, then I'm fine with the public humiliation :) 
  • Options
    @MSUgrad12  Isn't that sort of sexist though, to say that having certain traits or desires makes you more/less a man or woman? I mean, I'm not a huge fan of wearing dresses most days, and I could never be a stay-at-home mom because I'm way too into having a successful career, and don't even get my started on my cooking skills...but I'm still a woman. I identify as a woman because I grew up as a woman, with a vagina. I grew up having periods start in the middle of class and having to run to the bathroom, with a fear of getting made fun of if anyone could tell; I grew up having to work harder just to get the same amount of money as my co-workers with penises, and I grew up being told that I intimidate boys and that I shouldn't be so open about my intelligence or so direct/forward in how I talk to people because boys who are direct are strong, but girls who are direct are bitches. 

Up until about a year ago, I thought that if you had a vagina, you were a girl - end of story. Anything beyond that is completely up to you. In my opinion, you can't really "identify" as a woman/girl unless you have experienced the things that come with biologically being a female, because everything else about being a woman is up for debate, and varies from person to person, and I know it's the same for men. That's why it doesn't make sense to me - because unless you fit perfectly into one stereotype or the other, how can you possibly identify as the gender that you weren't born as?

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Options
    My UO is probably going to not sit well with some people, but I am totally one of those people that need to see my baby before naming it.  I find it a bit weird when people have the kid named before they even conceive!   Just my opinion! :)  With that said, we do have a list of names we like and some that are front runners, but I am not dead set on any of them until we the little ones! 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Allisun85 said:

My families been rolling their eyes at me, because every time they bring up "Oh so we know the gender?" I answer with "We know the sex, but we may not know the gender for a few years! He's a male."

I also have a lot of LBQT friends, who are coming to the shower, were at my wedding, so I often remind / educate my family of these type of things, since it can become a hot topic.

Perhaps a little bit of an UO- I hope my child identifies with his sex, because I want his life to be easier. But if he thinks of himself as she, we'll respect it. We also won't go out of our way to force a non-gendered identity until he is old enough to choose... (and yes, I know parents who have done this. Oh Vermont...)

I definitely take a very English view on the matter. "My dear, I don't care what people do,  as long as they don't do it in the streets and frighten the horses."

Why have I never heard that quote? I love it. Also, I went to UVM. #ilovermont
  • Options
    @1faceinacrowd I understand being sick of Facebook posts in general, that's why I'm very liberal with my use of the "unsubscribe" button. It's a godsend especially with the upcoming election. 

Also, there are decades of psychological research on how gender is constructed -- the biological, emotional, and social forces that play a role. Not all of it is about why people may identify with something other than their biological sex, but researchers have examined why people express their gender in different ways. It goes all the way back to Freud (NOT endorsing Freud as a great theorist to look into, just pointing out that this type of research has been around for awhile). 
    Married 6/20/2015
    Mirena removed 7/6/2015
    TTC#1 July 2015
    BFP 12/4/2015
    Sam born 8/4/2016

• Options

@Katienu https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mrs_Patrick_Campbell

Juuuuust to show how long this debate has been going on ;)

• Options
    @1faceinacrowd I get that constant Facebook posts can be annoying, and I'm glad you are a tolerant person, but there are many who are not. There are so many more annoying and useless things being posted on Facebook, at least this can serve a purpose and begin to educate people on an issue that is still very controversial. Society is still very uninformed and judge mental towards gender identity issues and it takes people making a stand about it to make a difference. I'm not a huge Facebook user, but I would much rather see someone advocating for civil rights vs the new design they got on their nails. But maybe that's just me. 

Also, there have been many scientific studies on gender issues that I used in my work back in grad school (masters in social work), so if you have access to scientific journals, which I sadly no longer do, I would recommend trying to take a look there. 

• Options
    texasmama2014texasmama2014 member
    edited March 2016
    skelly70 said:
    I hate that we feel the need to capture everything in a picture or video to really experience or remember it. There is no reason for a photographer to be present in the very intimate moments in a person's life. Why do we need a picture of every "first" in a kid's life? If we spent half as much time actually looking at what's going on around us as we do looking through the lens of a camera or at a phone screen, our memories would probably be a lot richer. 
     I work with high school students, and we often take them on trips. During the trips the students are so busy taking selfies and pictures of everything we are doing that they don't even get to experience the activities. I always tell my boss, I wish that they would get so wrapped up and having fun and experiencing that they would forget to turn on the camera and that they would have real memories not just pictures.

eta: talk to text while nursing made words weird!
  • Options
    @Bookhousegirl That's a great idea! I do have access to scientific journals through the university I'm attending for my Bachelor's program right now. I'll take a gander this afternoon. It really is an interesting subject; I'm the very opposite of a psychology major (majoring in Business Analytics - a cross between project management and statistics) so I appreciate the insight from someone more knowledgeable in that realm. :smile: 

• Options
    @1faceinacrowd ..and I have my B.S in psychology. difference in thought process explained. lmao. 

Pregnancy20ticker

• Options
    @skelly70 I am glad someone else feels this way too!

I frequent concerts with my husband, and my biggest pet peeve are the people who literally record the whole show. I do not want to watch my favorite band through your phone screen. I have youtube for that. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    mouse1029mouse1029 member
    edited March 2016
    I don't get people that tell me the baby's sex is only a surprise if you find out at delivery. I was just as surprised each time finding out at an ultrasound. Unless you had IVF and like Chrissy Tiegen picked which embryo to use, it's still a surprise.

eta: fast fingers
  • Options
    Katienu ME TOO!  I.HATE.AWARDS.SHOWS.  They make me want to poke a fork in my eye.

I also hate that since I'm pregnant people ask me how I'm feeling every.single.day.  It's the most irritating thing in the world and I have no idea why I feel that way.  Oh, and it's the MOST irritating when my in-laws ask.  I know it's innocent, but I literally want to light my hair on fire and scream STFU!!!
    It's funny how everyone asks how you are feeling (I don't hate it, but I've certainly noticed it). It makes me wonder, did I look like a jerk for never asking moms-to-be how they were feeling in the past? I never knew that was "the thing" to say!
  • Options
    @MSUgrad12 @bananer@Bookhousegirl @Snaps816 @lalalorelai

I think you guys all make good points. Let me be clear - I don't hate anyone, and I'm not bashing transgenders or anyone else, not even a little bit. I'm just tired of all of the posts on Facebook because personally, I don't like the idea that we, as a society, like to separate and label ourselves to such a degree, and then talk about it All The Flippin' Time. I don't care what your sex/gender/orientation/political party is - just be who you are and move on. Do I understand gender identity? No, I don't, because as I mentioned, the only reason that "female" is part of my identity is because, well, I'm a female. Do I accept that there are people who, for some reason or another, are uncomfortable with their gender? Sure. Do we really need to constantly post about it on Facebook, constantly point out our differences, and get offended anytime someone says something that isn't politically correct? In my Unpopular Opinion, no.

Now, that said.... because I really HATE feeling like an ignorant twat, I've been researching gender identity because I really DO want to understand. But so far, it's all very "feelings-y" and there is almost no scientific data on why it happens, or what causes people to identify with a gender other than their own, at least that I can find. And as I said, I'm really not a huge fan of labels and separation anyway because I truly think that perpetuates hate more than anything. 
    I have a (close) transgender family member so clearly that makes me a little extra-sensitive to this topic.  I'm not trying to get on my high horse or anything, but I feel that I have a little more insight into this topic than most others (except of course for those who are in fact trans, work with trans people, and have really educated themselves on this issue).  I appreciate that you hate feeling ignorant and have been trying to do research.  That's really important.  One thing that's important to stress is that tolerance and understanding are two different things.  Believe me, it is REALLY difficult to understand.  I can't say I fully understand it.  One way that it was explained to me helped me out a LOT.  Think about it from the following perspective.  So, you are a woman, and you say you identify with your gender because of your genitalia.  OK, so let's take the genitalia out of the equation for a second.  When you wake up in the morning, imagine you have to present yourself to the world as a man.  That may mean something different to you than it means to other people, but just try and imagine it.  Try to imagine yourself having to be someone who you truly are not.  It's really difficult, isn't it?  So yes a lot of it is "feelings-y", but no one is asking you to try and explain what makes you feel like a woman, so why should a transwoman have to explain what makes her feel like a woman, regardless of her genitalia (or vice versa for transmen)?  Believe, me, they DO have to explain it.  Transmen and women have to try and explain their needs to their therapists and doctors in order to receive the proper gender confirmation procedures and or drugs that they need to be who they truly are.  Imagine how painful and difficult this is to go through.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Snaps816 said:
    Katienu ME TOO!  I.HATE.AWARDS.SHOWS.  They make me want to poke a fork in my eye.

I also hate that since I'm pregnant people ask me how I'm feeling every.single.day.  It's the most irritating thing in the world and I have no idea why I feel that way.  Oh, and it's the MOST irritating when my in-laws ask.  I know it's innocent, but I literally want to light my hair on fire and scream STFU!!!
    It's funny how everyone asks how you are feeling (I don't hate it, but I've certainly noticed it). It makes me wonder, did I look like a jerk for never asking moms-to-be how they were feeling in the past? I never knew that was "the thing" to say!
    I get this all. the. time. And then people act all surprised when I say that I'm feeling good. I know I'm lucky to have had such mild symptoms, but I'm in the "magic" 2nd trimester right now. How the hell am I supposed to be feeling?? 
    Married 6/20/2015
    Mirena removed 7/6/2015
    TTC#1 July 2015
    BFP 12/4/2015
    Sam born 8/4/2016