September 2015 Moms
Options

Does baby know their name?

Our son is 24 weeks today, and I just read on The Bump update that he should be able to recognize his name and respond when he hears it.  Our son's name is Maxwell, but I feel like we call him little nicknames more often than his actual name.

When we brought him home from the hospital as a newborn he was a teeny, tiny, little guy, with the thinnest little birdie legs, and these BIG eyes.  He reminded us of this cute little bird.  So the nickname "Birdie" kind of stuck, and we catch ourselves calling him that all the time.  We also use Maxi and Buddy a lot too!

Guess we should start using his name more.  Ooops!!  ;)

Re: Does baby know their name?

• Options
    My LO responds to his Noah, first and last name and his nick name "Nono"
  • Options
    We also call our LO buddy or bubbakens, but we also call him his name. He responds to all three names! :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mayci now responds to her name. But we also have tons of nicknames and I know I won't be able to break that habit. My oldest girl has about 6 names- lol. Mayci is up to about 4! 
  • Options
    We use Rowan, Ro, Ro-Ro, Roby and Roby-Goby (not sure where they came from - haha), I also call him buddy and handsome and sweet boy all the time. I don't think he "knows" any of them and he doesn't respond to any of them. So I'm with you! Guess I should start using his name more. Haha. 
  • Options
    I'm not sure if LO thinks his name is Dalton or Baby but his three older brothers are constantly saying his name or Baby and he seems to recognize both.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No one ever uses lo's real name, her real name is Rosalie, which is a bit of a mouthful I admit, but she seems to respond to rosa, roo, & punkin...
  • Options
    Mine responds to her name. She has a couple of nicknames but I tend to use her name to get her attention (like taking a picture). I didn't even really think about it until reading this thread lol.
  • Options
    LO's name is Jolene. I call her Jo, Jo Jo, mojo-jojo and she responds to them all. She responded to Mojo-jojo first so I had to start calling her by her real name. Lol!
  • Options
    He responds but I think it's more to my and DHs voice. We also have about a million nicknames and he responds to all of them so I'm thinking it's just my voice ;)
  • Options
    We are trying to stick to one to not confuse her. Evelyn, Evie, Ev & love bug haha. My mil calls her by her first and middle name and it drives me nuts because that was not what we intended!
  • Options
    Lo turns his head when his name is called. He will look elsewhere even if he is engaged with someone else. So I'm fairy certain he recognizes it. I had to make an effort to start calling him by name. We didn't decide on what his name was until after he was born, at about 2 months old i realized I wasn't thinking or referring to him by name. It was odd at first, hearing it out loud. So, maybe I've overemphasized it now!
  • Options
    Haha, we have a dog named Birdie (and two others named Lucy and mudslide) and LO probably hears their names so much he thinks they are all his name! 
  • Options
    We mix it up, Addie/Adelaide/Ads... she seems to respond to Addie, though it could just be our interaction she's interested in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son defiantly knows his name. His head whips around when he hears it and we use a lot of nicknames but my family says his name a lot 
  • Options
    Lol my daughters name is Briella. Myself and her brother call her sissy. She's totally going to think that's her name! 
  • Options
    I rarely say Violets name to her, and mostly call her baby, monkey, bunkey, monkey moo etc.  She possibly just started to respond, but not always, and possibly due to the way I say it to her.  I wondered this too.  I started using her name more often though.  
  • Options
    I'm not sure if LO does?  I have to make more of an effort to use his real name.  Nicknames are popular around here!
  • Options
    My son turns around when we call him by his name. His name is Mateo and and I always thought we would call him Mat but my niece started calling him "Teo" now my family calls him that too.
  • Options
    You know, I really thought my LO was responding to just the tone of us calling him (because we had been calling him other names and 'hot dog' and he would turn), until just today! My friend said his name in a crowded restaurant and he turned right to her, and later we tried it with other names (including 'hot dog') and then his name and he turned! It's exciting! 
  • Options
    I think DD knows her name.  She also knows her sisters.  If I say a name she looks at the appropriate sister.  Last night I asked where daddy was.  She looked at his chair and around the room after she couldn't find him.  So cute!  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also read that and freaked out a little lol. We are trying to make more of an effort to call her by her actual name, Cordelia, which we rarely call her. We started calling her "Dito" in the hospital because she was swaddled and DH said she looked like a burrito and I said she's a "cordito" and so Dito just stuck. We also call her Cordi, because Cordelia is admittedly a lot of name. She seems to respond to all three but not all the time, I think it depends on her mood and energy level.
  • Options
    We need to start using Regan's name so she'll know it. We're in the same boat with a lot of you: using nicknames. I tried saying her name today and she didn't turn around until I said it in a high pitch. I recorded it on one of her toys so she can hear it when she plays with it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    :) visit my blog to get easy recipes & mom stuff: http://somestufforwhatever.wordpress.com  :)
  • Options
    Our poor DS2 is pretty certain his name is George. It's what DS1 has decided to call him and DH and I have followed suit.  At first we thought it was funny, then it became habit.  George is Peppa Pig's little brother.  I told my husband we should just name the next one George and it might solve the problem. 
  • Options
    @ElleMF728 that's seriously adorable!
  • Options
    LO responds to Piper, Piper Savannah, PiPi, Pipes, Papaya, and Piperooni. ;) 
  • Options
    My LO responds to Finnley, Finn and Buddy. Buddy is because daddy calls him his little buddy. 
  • Options
    LO doesn't know her real name since we've called her BooBear since birth - yikes!!
  • Options
    Ava responds to her name and to sissy and chunk a monk.  One thing wr have discovered js she hatessss her middle name.it doesnt matter what tone anyine uses. If you say Ava Marie she gets the fattest lip and the tears start coming.  I will have to figure out how to post the video.
  • Options
    Yup, our little fella responds to Jakey, Jakey pegs (due to how fast he's teething) JT (Jake Thomas) & of course, Jake. :)
  • Options
    We call LO by a lot of nicknames as well- but he does respond to his name "Remy" and at least one his nicknames (Buddy.)