September 2016 Moms
Options

CONGESTION

Oh man... So the past week I've been waking up with an extremely stuffy nose. It's super bloody and mucousy. Ah the joys of pregnancy. I'm so sensitive to smells and that just makes my nose run more. I seriously feel like this guy, but with less of a penis-shaped nose... Anyone else out there with a schlong on their face?

Re: CONGESTION

• Options
    Tell me about it!! Every single morning I wake up with terrible congestion. I am wondering if it will ever go away.
  • Options
    Lol! So much yes. Which makes it difficult to sleep which means I'm even more pleasant than normal in the morning. *insert sarcasm and eye roll here* And, since I can't breathe through my nose, I become a mouth breather which makes my lips dry out. :(
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yes! now being a mouth breather at night, I have a terrible sore throat that won't go away. Add the drainage and it feels like I have strep every morning. I also have had an awesome sinus headache for a good week and a half now, this may be partly because of the bipolar weather but still isn't fun
  • Options
    Yup! I'm with you! It's been going on for quite some time, probably since about 5 or 6 weeks. It's making it hard to fall asleep and I've started breathing from my mouth and snoring as a result, something that DH does not hesitate to point out! My nose has been super sensitive since a couple of days before my BFP and all the smells make it worse and I end up with watery eyes. I'm not looking forward to allergy season.
    * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options
    I've been congested since BFP. The severity has varied, but I've been sneezing up a storm the whole time. 

• Options
    Same here!  I didn't experience this at all with DD but I've basically been congested since BFP this time.

For those of you who experienced this in past pregnancies - will it most likely go away?  Or can it continue for the entire pregnancy?
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @JennM205 I had it with DD, but didn't relate it to a pregnancy symptom. I thought I was getting sick frequently from a lowered immune system. I must have been feeling better by 3rd tri because we kept the ceiling fan on in our bedroom all summer. If I'm having congestion problems, I leave it off because it just makes it worse.

• Options
    I live and die by my netipot.
    Married 6/4/11
    Reese born 3/23/13
    Due 9/14/16

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I had this with my last pregnancy and I have it again this time. I expect it to stay for the duration like it did last time. I think it eased up in the very last month of pregnancy. I also have a very sensitive gag reflex with pregnancy. It gets triggered in the morning when I sit upright and the mucus drains back in my throat. I absolutely hate it!! Last pregnancy, I tried using a netti-pot. It only slightly helped. There were a few days when I took Sudafed before bed to break up the congestion and let me sleep. 

• Options
    I've had congestion on and off again ever since getting pregnant. Seems to stick with me for a week, clear up, and then come back.  It's so annoying!! I think I should invest in saline spray as it at least helps to loosen things up a bit.
  • Options
    I had it with my first pregnancy and now this one. I think it has something to do with the hormonal effect causing nasal passages to swell in pregnancy. It mainly bothers me at night because I get clogged and can't breathe. First thing in the morning every morning I start coughing from it, which then makes me gag/dry heave in the toilet for awhile which helps me blow my nose and clear everything out, also it settles my morning nausea until I can eat breakfast. Not the most pleasant morning routine, but I'm just used to it now.
    Anniversary       

• Options

I can totally relate!!! I've had a runny and stuffy nose since about week 7. Check out Rhinitis of Pregnancy - https://www.pregnancy.org/article/pregnancy-rhinitis-sneezing-sniffing-and-congestion

This article has some great tips on coping - I am trying to keep my head elevated when I sleep.

• Options
     I know I've posted pics of this before, but this is so much cleaner than the Neti pot. The stuff that comes out of my nose... Not so clean