October 2015 Moms
Options

*UPDATE* What Do I Do?

edited March 2016 in October 2015 Moms
I received and accepted a job offer from a well-known retail store as a copywriter last week. However, I received a phone call from another recruiter in their organization regarding a remote position they have available. I applied for both within days of each other, and to be honest, I prefer the remote position over the one I received the offer for because I want to stay home with my new baby and don't want to shell out a ton of cash for babysitting, gas, etc.

How do I explain this to the recruiter who made me the offer for the first job? I'm a little nervous because I have no clue how she's going to react. I know she's probably upset because I accepted the offer for the first job. But my heart tells me if I can work from home, at least until LO is a little older to take it. Plus, there's room for growth even in that particular department (member services). 

HELP!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
:) visit my blog to get easy recipes & mom stuff: http://somestufforwhatever.wordpress.com  :)

Re: *UPDATE* What Do I Do?

• Options
    Are you sure you can keep your baby at home while you are working ?  I just ask because my sister works from home and they made her sign something that my nephew will be in child care outside of the home while she is working ?  
  • Options
    @Disneygeek77 the recruiter never brought it up during the phone screening. And none of the docs she sent over said it; neither did the job posting. That's definitely something I'll ask if I get to the interview portion after testing.
    :) visit my blog to get easy recipes & mom stuff: http://somestufforwhatever.wordpress.com  :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My sister was able to work from home with her kids there as well. I would just be honest with them and say, thank you for the offer, but another offer has come up which allows me to work from home and I can't pass that up. Thank you for your time and understanding. 
  • Options
    At the end of the day you have to do what's best for you and your family! If that means upsetting someone,  oh well.  Apologize and let them know something more suiting for you came up!
  • Options
    Something very similar happened to us. You call/email the recruiter and you say, "I'm so sorry for the inconvenience but I just received an offer that's too good to turn down. It's perfect for my family so I have to take it. Thank you so much for your time and I apologize again for any inconvenience."
  • Options
    But what if you turn it down and don't get the other job?! Can you wait and see if you get the stay at home job? I work from home and it's great to not have to put my son into day care!
  • Options
    AiramJ said:
    But what if you turn it down and don't get the other job?! Can you wait and see if you get the stay at home job? 
    ^^^ THIS 100% ... Please make sure that they offered you the position, and there are not more interviews needed, etc.

I used to do recruiting for my district for the company I worked for. If I felt the person I interviewed over the phone had great potential, they would get passed on to my DM for another interview. Then if he wanted to employ them he would reach out and offer a position at a later time. 

If you were already offered the position by the second recruiter, then (just as the other ladies said) reach out to the first recruiter and just explain you have an awesome opportunity that better suits your current needs. Thank them for their time and for considering you.

I hope it all works out for the best! :smile: 
  • Options
    I definitely am waiting to hear about the other job. I would never turn an offer down without another in place. However, another company just threw its hat in the ring last night. I interview with them Monday. I'm stocked because it's another job where I can work remotely. I'm hoping I get that one instead because the benefits are much better and the pay is 100 times better, plus there's more opportunity for growth. Thanks, ladies. I'll keep you all posted  :D
  • Options
    You're so lucky, all these offers!
  • Options
    Update: I ended up getting an offer from the second company. I didn't give them an answer. I decided to wait until after I discussed it with my current employer. I spoke with my boss last week. He had no problem with me working from home but the COO did. However, with a little prodding, he got the COO to allow it. I was also given a raise because my workload has increased and my initial pay wasn't enough -- LOL.

This is what they offered me: Two designated days per week to work remotely (I'm able to switch them whenever), a raise, a change in title, and the possibility to increase remote days in the future if it works out well. 

My husband and I prayed very hard about this and it's something we want to move forward with. I'm a bit nervous, though, having to turn down the other two offers -- one of which I signed the offer before my employer decided to counter. Eeeek! Now, I have to figure out how to withdraw; that's a whole new monster.

Thank you ladies for giving me advice and support :)