May 2016 Moms
Options

Husband doesn't want to be part of delivery

Re: Husband doesn't want to be part of delivery

• Options
    I would be fierce at my husband if he tried to say that. I told me him he had apart of creating his child he can have apart of him coming into this world. But I don't want him looking down there while in labor. But he will be in the room with me, and he can't say blood and stuff like that bother him when he is ex military and had to deal with blood on a normal bases. Sorry that your husband is doing this to you! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I don't want my SO anywhere near the delivery room when the time comes. He was relieved to hear that and confessed he wouldn't want to see anything like that either. It doesn't even feel natural to me to have him there - it seems like something I'd want to be surrounded by women for, not a man who is meant to view me as a sexual being after the fact. I also like to deal with pain/difficult situations on my own. I'm not stating any of this to say my way is the right way, just to offer up another POV. 

But that's me, and the way I feel and I have the luxury of getting my way since my SO feels the same. The issue here is more that the OP and her husband have a difference in preference and he's not willing to meet her half way. If my SO had felt strongly about being there, I would have compromised as I can appreciate it's something some men want to be there for. Likewise, most women want a partner in the room to help support them and their husband is the logical choice for most. I agree with other posters that he can stay situated near her head. 

Is your husband aware that he doesn't need to be situated fully in front of your vagina in order to be in the delivery room? Would talking to a midwife/doctor about other options for more squeamish men help? 
  • Options
    I just mentioned the expression 'sexual being' @Bltbear82 so I can answer that from my perspective. I am not viewed by my SO as only a sexual being. I'm his best friend, his partner and we're totally inseparable. But I also like having sex with him and don't necessarily want him to see all that stuff.  That's my personal comfort zone. Totally up to someone else if they feel differently. I see many couples who leave the bathroom door open when they go, talk about TMI stuff together and they are also awesome partners. To each their own. 
  • Options
    kami09 said:
    ALSO. Yeah,it's not pretty. You know what else isn't pretty? A penis. & you know what isn't pleasant? A penis going down your throat. but guess what?! We all do it cuz men love it and we want to please our husbands. You do shit you don't want to do for the other person. Period.
    Agreed on the doing stuff for other person because it makes them happy, but heck no on the ugly peen comment! And the blow job comment!

Its all about taste, of course, but some of us do like both of those:) 

In another parallel that is probably flameworthy, DH and I both like anal sex, but we are not about to do anything like watch one another poop. He's not allowed in the bathroom when I'm sitting on the can and vice versa. Though we have promised to wipe one another's butts if we get old or sick and can't do it ourselves. 

I am am very much not equating childbirth and defecation--but I am saying there are natural processes related to sexual health that partners (because we are multifaceted people who embody different though non-exclusive roles at different points in our day) do not need to know about quite so intimately. I am, for instance, not planning on asking for his help with applying medicine in the event that I get hemorrhoids.

DH and I made this baby together and are parenting it together, and I want him there in the delivery room because he is my partner (and this is going to be an important shared experience), but both he and I want to keep him away from the Southern Hemisphere lest every time he looks at my vag he gets a flashback to baby's head sticking out of it, covered in blood, amniotic fluid, meconium and goodness knows what else. 
  • Options
    I get that I'll want a support person... I just don't see my husband as the one who I would really want support from for this. He's never done it before, he's never seen it before, he can't physically relate in any way... I love him, but he's a really passive, submissive guy, and I just feel more like I'll have to support him than him support me. He wants to be there, so of course, he's welcome to be there. But, I'm probably going to get really annoyed at him and say mean shit knowing me.
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    Ha ha @saladflambe that's how I feel. I would let him come in if he insisted but I'd not be happy about it. Oddly, if I wind up having to have a csection, then I WOULD want him there. I'm terrified of surgery and feeling the sensation of it so I'd want him there to focus on. But in that case, they put up a damn partition to make sure neither of us see anything we don't want to. 

@dshannah I get what you're saying with the bodily functions comments. I'm the same way. 
  • Options
    Personally I'm more or less with @dshannah and @seasalt123 -- I understand that yes, some men (not a majority, but from my understanding not an insignificant minority, either) do have difficulty getting over it. Some of them don't even know ahead of time that it will happen, so they go in there and they see the whole glorious/gory-ous thing, and it affects them in ways they weren't expecting and welp.

I'm not saying it's good, but it does happen. And while the easy answer is "well they should just get over it," I'm not sure how much that helps. Some people can do that and some can't. My feeling is that if it were that easy to overcome attractions and repulsions, we'd all be able to choose our partners with the utmost rationality and there would be no reason that, say, Magic Mike or Chris Hemsworth would have more lady admirers than Danny DeVito. Or, more seriously, there would be no one afflicted with embarrassing fetishes, because hey, you could just turn that feeling off.

But it's not that easy. Sexuality and attraction are weird and complicated and there are very few of us who are in complete control.

And, yes, it is a sad fact of life that there are some guys (let us call them "dirtbags") who aren't willing to put in the effort, aren't committed to the relationship, and who are, if anything, looking for an excuse to bail. I'm sure OP's husband is not among them, but they exist, they're out there. They make it hard for us to credit the others with honesty or good intentions. Because no one, other than a dirtbag, wants to say "I'm less attracted to my wife now," especially in this uniquely vulnerable and emotional situation where the guy had a huge part in what's happening.

But for some people (and I feel sorry for them, more than anything, because it's tough), it is real, and it's an incredibly difficult thing to communicate openly about with the person who's supposed to be closest to you in the world. It's fundamentally a selfish problem to have, much less admit, so I think there's a heavy component of guilt and self-loathing and lost communication in many instances. None of that is great for relationships.

tl;dr: it's complicated, it's individual, but one thing it's not, for some people, is a fake problem.

Anyway for a variety of reasons (mainly that I, too, am in the camp of "prefer to be alone when stressed and in pain," but also for some of the reasons discussed in this thread), I don't really want my husband in the room either. I'm not going to kick him out, because he does have a right to be present if he wants, but if he does choose to be there, he'll definitely be staying in the safe corner.
  • Options
    Am I that weird for expecting my husband to know what to expect and what to avoid when we go into the delivery room?!  It's not a big mystery.... And it's really not that hard to avoid seeing anything graphic if you have a little common sense about it!
    Not at all. I think that's far and away the majority view, at least in the U.S. in 2016. For most people, it works perfectly well and they're very happy with the choice and that's awesome.

But it's not a universal experience, and to the extent that I'm arguing anything in this thread (which is not very), it's just that the minority experience does happen and sometimes you can't predict it and the reaction you anticipated happening is not the one you get.

So, you know, that happens sometimes. If it does, it deserves to be recognized and worked through cooperatively. That's all I really want to say here.
  • Options
    @JessicaB0627 I'm glad you brought up breast feeding! Personally right now I don't intend to "open feed" while my husband is present. Obviously that might change but I know he doesn't equate breasts with food and covering when he's around (even if it's with a light blanket or something) isn't so horrible for me and it might make him more comfortable.
  • Options
    For the record, I made sure to add the clarifier that covering while breastfeeding at home (not at the birth center) was my plan, but that I fully recognized that plans don't always workout when you're exhausted and baby needs to eat. 
    Everyones relationship is different. It's okay for me to be conscious that my husband thinks of my breasts as non food items. He hasn't SAID "keep that shit covered" it's my CHOICE.
  • Options
    Bhahahaha @kami09 YES! Exactly!

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• Options
    jenl1681 said:
    Has OP been back to clarify/update or are we just a bunch of hens clucking here?!?!

OP posted and bailed
  • Options
    To (sort of?) change the subject...
    what was the most helpful and wonderful thing your SO did during your labor/recovery? I know some women have posted about their person being really great, but I think it would be cool for us FTM's to get a sense of the most helpful thing they did.