May 2016 Moms
Options

Husband doesn't want to be part of delivery

so my husband has decided that he's not comfortable to be part of my delivery. He was told by people of his family that it's not a good place to be and that he will have different feelings towards me when it comes to sex and so on . I have told him how important it is to me that he is there ( if my mom cannot make it in time) I want someone to be able to support me . I told him he doesn't have to look but he doesn't even want to cut the cord . So I'm probably the one who will end up doing that but now I am feeling like I am going to be alone in the delivery of our child and that I will not know anyone except my doctor . Any thoughts ? 

Re: Husband doesn't want to be part of delivery

• Options
    Wow- I would be upset about DH not wanting to be involved.  Does he understand how important it is to you?  Maybe you can have your mom and a close relative or friend attend the birth to support you.  I hope he changes his mind- it's a shame that he would willingly miss the birth of his child.  
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wait...so he doesn't even want to be in the room or he doesn't want to assist in things like catching or cutting the cord? Those are very different things. The first one makes him a complete jerk IMO, the second, eh...not so bad.
  • Options
    My DH was like that for ages. In the end, about a month before our DD he changed his mind, though he was adamant he wouldn't cut the cord. 

If you really want him there, explain that to him and then let him think about it. If hes anything like my DH, the more you push, the more he will dig his heels in. And the cord cutting thing i figured was NBD cause really who remembers that. The MW cut ours and it didn't really matter. It was that first hold that mattered. Oh we had an emergency c-section, but in the end he was with me and that was important to me
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    It's a real shame that other people have told your husband things that have set him against being in the delivery room!
    that said, think about what's most important to you- physical touch? Words of encouragement? It's okay if he is uncomfortable with the more hands on expectations we have for partners these days. Try and find one way he can be supportive of you in the most helpful way without making himself so uncomfortable it's a bad experience for him.
    my DH has decided to make decisions about cutting the cord etc until the moment of, which I'm fine with. We're using the Bradley method/husband coached birthing, so what's most important to me is having DH there to help facilitate my relaxation. I also know he can get overwhelmed sometimes so I'm okay if he needs to take a breather, go for a quick walk, or just step away. Imagine being a partner during a birth! You're watching your loved one go through what appears to be a very intense and painful experience and you can't do anything! Stressful! 
    Weve also decided not to look at/have a mirror near my lady parts during birth. Just to keep that area a certain way in our minds.
  • Options
    I'm sorry you're feeling alone in this. I don't know your background, but I know that in some cultures it's much more common for men not to want to be present or involved in the delivery, whereas it's become routine and expected in the U.S. Is that potentially a factor here?

I agree with previous posters that the first resort should be an open discussion about your feelings and expectations. He should be supportive and respectful of your position in this matter. This is a big deal -- it's not a trivial thing for him to be absent during this experience if you want him there.

Regardless, you should never have to feel that you're alone. If he truly won't budge, you might have to consider alternatives (if only so that you have that in the back of your mind as some reassurance that you won't be abandoned, no matter what). You mentioned that your mom might be able to be present; would it be feasible to try to keep her close at hand when the due date nears, or to notify her in time for her to be able to come to the hospital when you go in for delivery?

Do you have any supportive friends or other relatives who might be able to help? Can you get a doula, maybe?
  • Options
    I completely understand if he doesn't want to cut the cord or see the action down below, but to not even want to be there to hold your hand is tough. :(

• Options
    I'd be pretty upset if DH didn't want to be in the room with me at all during labor, but things like cutting the cord, holding a leg, etc. don't bother me if he doesn't want to do that. TBH, I don't recall if he did those things when I had DS. A lot of being there is just for support and socialization as you go through labor.

There's a long period of time before you start pushing (for most women) and it would be really lonely/boring if you don't have someone in there for support. The nursing staff is only in the room intermittently and the delivering physician doesn't show up until the last minute (at least that was my experience with DS).

DS: 9/18/12 - 40w5d // DD: 05/17/16 - 40w

• Options
    I had a father of 4 confess today that he really didn't want to be at the delivery of his children, but he was because he knew it was more important to be supportive of his wife than to be comfortable. It's not wrong for him to lack a desire to be there, but if you tell him it's important to you, he better suck it up and deal.

As my husband said, he's only focusing on the waist up. He doesn't have to see anything he doesn't want to, and I wouldn't work about him not wanting to cut the cord. Many dads are too squeamish to do it, and they don't have to. It's just a way for them to be involved, but it's not necessary.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    My DH did not want to cut the cord either.  Totally fine with me because I know that it is coming from a good place - he doesn't like body fluids and gross stuff.
    Would your DH benefit from a hospital tour or video of a reasonable delivery (not Hollywood-style)?  Maybe he is scared of the unknown. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Mama to Three Girls: 
    Twins born March 2014 at 26 weeks due to preterm labor
    and our 37weeker born May 9th, 2016!

• Options
    I'm sorry this is happening to you :disappointed: but he worked with you to make this baby. He should be there when it comes out. I would be BEYOND pissed if DH told me he didn't want to be in the room. I agree with other PPs, this definitely requires some serious discussion. 
  • Options
    Agreeing with the people saying don't fret about him not wanting to cut the cord.  I answered for mine knowing full well he does not deal with medical stuff well. My ob even noted her husband never cut any cords for her kids. 

Talk to him about just wanting him there with you. He helped get you here, time to man up and at least support you at the end. 
  • Options
    Why do a lot of men seem to think that they can help create a baby and then step back & wash their hands of anything else?? I've seen this so many times. It's frustrating!!

But agree with all of the above! As for cutting the cord, I saw a pic on Instagram of a woman cutting her own cord...so I'm actually hoping to do that! So maybe that's something you'd like to do and experience.
  • Options
    As other posters have said: he should be there for you if you want him there and need his support; he can stay in the northern hemisphere (boobs and up, even!); he doesn't need to do anything except offer you a familiar face and emotional support.

But if other folks have convinced him that it's this horrible, relationship-changing thing to be in the delivery room at the time I am guessing he doesn't actually have the foggiest clue about what will go on in the delivery room! Are you doing a childbirth class together, so he can see?  If not, describe it for him!

His job will be to make sure the right music is playing, to show you funny videos between contractions, to hug and hold hands, help you get comfortable, to give you a massage if you need one, etc.  If he wants to leave the room for the epidural and even for the actual birth, he can (my FIL faints at the sight of blood so when his kids were born that's what he did).
  • Options
    My initial thoughts are divorce!!!
    i agree 1000% with @zanaerob1 first post. What kind of man says he doesn't want to be there for you because it might change sex for him????  That's so selfish after everything you've endured for 10 months to bring this baby into the world. Not to mention what if (God forbid) something were to happen to you or the baby?????? And he doesn't want to be there just because it might change how he looks at you sexually. That's effed up. I'm sorry I truly feel bad for you. 

ME: 35 DH: 39

Married July 2011

DD Born 8/12

TTC #2 since 11/13

ME: Submucosal Fibroid Surgery Date APRIL 14th 2015 -Left Tube is blocked by Fibroid~Surgeon removed 26 Fibroids from my Ute and Unblocked my Tube

DH:Azoospermia...Thank God we have 12 vials of frozen swimmers

July 15-Check to see if Ute is all healed

IUI #1 8/3/15...BFN

IUI #2 9/5/15...BFP on 9/17/15

Beta #1-344

Beta #2-809

Beta #3 8,390

1st u/s 8/8/15 1 bean HB 135 @ 6w5d

• Options
    I too think it's pretty crappy that he doesn't want to be there because it can change things sexually for him. He can stay by your head and not look. My husband is apprehensive about being in the OR for my c section. He faints at the sight of blood. The sounds and smells get to him too. But he wants to be there for me and the birth of his daughter. During surgery prep, he's outside the room. Then they bring him in right by my head with the curtain up. He probably won't cut the cord but they'll hand us the baby all wrapped up. I'm hoping adrenaline takes over and he's not as apprehensive while it's happening. I'd definitely talk to your husband and explain you need him there for support. He doesn't have to catch or look at your vagina during delivery. But talk and get a game plan together. 
  • Options
    I'll have to agree with everyone else...DH has already mentionned staying waist up and not wanting to cut the cord, but I expected that (although I feel like he might have a change of heart in the moment, but we'll see...he just trusts the doctors a lot more to take care of what's happening down there). It would definitely be a turning point in our relationship if he dared telling me something like that.  
  • Options
    JoMunson said:
    . One guy told my husband id probably tear from my vagina to my anus and wouldn't ever want to have sex again (thanks guy who has no girlfriend and has no kids).

QBF: This doesn't seem absurd to me lol...the not wanting to have sex again part does, but tearing is a distinct possibility.
  • Options
    Hi,
    Although from a woman's point of view it's a tad selfish that he's more concerned about his future sexual endeavours than supporting you through birth, you also don't want to go into labour having to "manage" anyone else. You want your whole focus to be on bringing your beautiful little miracle into this world. Respect his decision but make sure he understands that there will possibly be resentment as a consequence. My husband was in the room, between my legs, delivered baby, cut the cord, wrapped up baby and left the room with her. And as involved as he was I still hold it against him that at no stage did he hold my hand, tell me I was doing a good job or show any support for me. It sound silly but you are not a birthing vessel, you are a woman and your husband must understand your side before he makes his final decision regardless of what he gets told by these obviously helpful people. Take care and I hope it all goes well.  
  • Options
    From personal experience I don't think he's a horrible person but incredibly naive.  I am on baby number 3 so my perspective is very different and my husband (who is only father to 2 and 3) is adamant that he will be the first person to touch our child. I have kept her to myself for 9 months and now it's his turn. I understand that there are "gross" parts of giving birth and not everyone can stomach it. It has to be their decision. She has to be there but for him it's an option. She might find that once it all starts there's no way he's missing out. Or it could terrify him beyond belief. We are not here to judge, just throw personal experience and words of encouragement in the right general direction and hope that it may help someone. Personally if my husband didn't want to be with me during labour and see me bring his child into the world I would skin him alive, don't worry if your more concerned about my vagina husband, take this as your head start and run!!!
  • Options

No doubt, it's gross - what happens down there.  My husband has seen it twice and he said that's plenty (surprise, i'm pregnant again honey!).

I would say just focus on gently coaxing him to be with you 'at the beginning' and then perhaps he'll decide to stay longer and for the whole time!  Maybe you have friends who have a child and that dad could possibly put in a good word?  Like, ask him to tell about that joyous moment when your baby comes into the world - maybe that will help your husband overlook the 'unpleasant' parts.  Are you planning on getting an epidural?  Everyone responds differently to labor (with or without drugs) but maybe there's another friend who got an epidural and can mention how easy and laid back it was during the whole experience. 

You can get through this.

I'm sure for a lot of men they are 'traumatized' for a  while but after 6 weeks or so they eventually forget and think of their wife as desirable again.  That's my guess.  ;)  GL!

• Options
    Before we even got pregnant my DH told me he did not want to be in the room when I was in labor/giving birth. I was really upset with him about this, he wanted to have a baby with me but didn't want to be there to support me while I am going through the scariest and most painful thing in my life? I debated on whether I actually wanted to have children with him. 
    Now I think he doesn't mind being in the room, as long as he doesn't have to watch or see dow below. He said he'd be fine at my head. Why he thought id want him anywhere else is beside me. I don't want him seeing down there or looking when the baby comes out. I don't want him to be scarred for life! 
    I understand why you're upset and I'd really try to talk to him about it more.

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    OP, I have to ask, are your husband's family members older? In previous generations husbands were generally NOT present for the birth. We were talking to FIL last week, and he didn't attend any of his children's births, and confessed that he's not sure he would have wanted to! Different times.

I would encourage your husband to speak to some male family members or friends that have more recently attended a birth. Maybe they can help him come around. I don't think your husband is being cruel or anything (at least judging from what you've told us), he probably just has the wrong ideas in his head. 
  • Options
    I just spoke to my DH about this - he was pretty adament that he wasn't going to be in the room but changed his mind as we got closer to the due date. 

He said initially he was coming from a place of non emotion, that the whole baby thing doesn't feel real yet. But as the due date got closer, it became a more emotional thing and the desire to support your wife became important. 

I say give him space and time. Tell him now how important it is to you that he be with you. And leave it. He may change his mind. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    Have you thought about talking to who ever told him this? They seem to have a lot of sway with him and if you can find out why they influenced him to not be there, maybe you can get them to revisit it with him. I've tried this at work before and it can be surprisingly effective. 

Ultimatley, as important as this is to you, it's just like anything else in life. He's going to
    make a decision and face the consequences. You have to think long and hard about what those will be for you. One of them is definitely missing out on a monumentous event in your family history. But I'm sure you will have feelings of resentment that will impact your relationship with him as well. 
  • Options
    According to sex advice columnist and gay-rights activist Dan Savage, there are a lot of men (he says he gets letters about this every single week) who write in to him saying that they can't get it up for their wives after having seen a baby come out of them. It sucks, but it's a real thing. And widespread.  And while it's totally mock-worthy, it doesn't help to mock the attitude.  Vaginas are multiple-use technology, but just look at the world of sanitary napkin ads and we can see that most folks don't care to think of all the things vaginas can do besides sexytime things.

So the answer?  Even Dan Savage (who has no use for the vag) says: be there with your wife but stay in the northern hemisphere and do not under any circumstances venture south if you have any questions about your ability to shake the image of baby coming out of your wife! No leg-holding, no cord-cutting, keep your eyes trained on your partner's face, keep nice-smelling things handy for both your partner and yourself, etc.

But it doesn't make you a bad partner if you don't want to watch baby's head crowning.  I certainly hope not, because I have no desire to see my own baby's head crowning and I don't think that's going to make me a bad mom.  I just don't need to see that. No mirrors for me!

I tried to find a print article where he says this (it was in several of his podcasts), but Savage Love's search platform is terrible.
  • Options
    kbrands7 said:
    dshannah said:
    According to sex advice columnist and gay-rights activist Dan Savage, there are a lot of men (he says he gets letters about this every single week) who write in to him saying that they can't get it up for their wives after having seen a baby come out of them. It sucks, but it's a real thing. And widespread.  And while it's totally mock-worthy, it doesn't help to mock the attitude.  Vaginas are multiple-use technology, but just look at the world of sanitary napkin ads and we can see that most folks don't care to think of all the things vaginas can do besides sexytime things.

So the answer?  Even Dan Savage (who has no use for the vag) says: be there with your wife but stay in the northern hemisphere and do not under any circumstances venture south if you have any questions about your ability to shake the image of baby coming out of your wife! No leg-holding, no cord-cutting, keep your eyes trained on your partner's face, keep nice-smelling things handy for both your partner and yourself, etc.

But it doesn't make you a bad partner if you don't want to watch baby's head crowning.  I certainly hope not, because I have no desire to see my own baby's head crowning and I don't think that's going to make me a bad mom.  I just don't need to see that. No mirrors for me!

I tried to find a print article where he says this (it was in several of his podcasts), but Savage Love's search platform is terrible.
    While I don't disagree with the advice to focus on the face, I really don't see how referencing a sex advice column is necessary or helpful. Of course there are some men who feel this way, there are also many men who don't (and who wouldn't have a need to write a letter to an advice columnist). 
    I thought it was important to point out that many men are surprised by how they are affected by witnessing certain aspects of childbirth but that **even when that is the case** the advice is not to have nothing to do with delivery but to be involved and supportive in whatever way you can.

Just to say that OPs husband's concern is not totally idiotic (even if it should be) but that his concern doesn't have to keep him out of the delivery room.