May 2016 Moms
Options

Kicking

Hey guys - I didn't see anything about this specifically, so if there is, sorry! 

My baby seems to be very low - all kicks are below my belly button. I'm not concerned or anything, just curious as to whether or not this is the same for anyone else? And for STMs when I can start feeling those kicks higher?

Thanks! :)
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Kicking

• Options
    My baby is kicking right around my belly button, usually just a little below it. But recently we have felt him just above the belly button a few times. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    all my kicks seem to be very low too. I haven't felt anything above my belly button or in my ribs yet.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I feel most of my movement very low and feel kicks to my bladder a lot. Every few days I'll feel tumbles and kicks or punches up by my belly button. My ob asked me where I've been feeling movement at my appt on Tuesday and I told her the above and she said that's totally normal. Everyone feels different areas of movement, I guess it's just kind of dependent upon where the little one wants to hang out. I don't expect to feel tons of movement or regular movement up high until we get closer to full term when the baby runs out of room. 
  • Options
    My baby has been breech and I think still is b/c I feel the kicks really low. Well below my belly button, below my waistline of my pants. 
  • Options
    yah, my son  is usually hanging out really low in the uterus so most of the kicks and movements I feel are right around my belly button.  However, on occasion he does move up a bit and I feel much higher kicks
  • Options
    My LO is also breech so she kicks super low and I can feel her head put pressure up high by my ribs. Not at all comfortable and idk how there will be space as she gets even bigger. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    The position of your placenta can make a big difference on whether or not your feel kicks in a certain place too, at least that is my understanding  ;)
  • Options
    May just be the position LO is in. Depending on how far along you are Lo may not have flipped yet so that's why you're feeling low kicks.
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    At my last appointment, LO was head down. Even with an anterior placenta, I feel movement low and high. For fun, I actually decided to look at my stomach for the first time the other night when she was punching/kicking/moving, and it was so bizarre. No feet or anything yet, but it's funny to see my stomach pulse up and something roll under it.
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited February 2016
    Babies usually settle into position by 36 weeks (not always...my DS turned at 38). Low kicks probably means LO is breech. Ice gotten tons of bladder stomps with this baby. Two days ago, he turned head down and I've gotten kicks about 4in above my belly button, pretty much in my ribs. A lot of it has to do with where baby is hanging out at the moment-- pretty much anywhere is normal right now.
  • Options
    +1 for lots of low kicks. I don't know how this baby is positioned right now -- it was breech at 20w and 24w but I'm almost to 28 now and haven't had a checkup since then, so maybe that's changed and maybe it hasn't.

Generally I prefer the low kicks anyway since when it hits high, it often hits me in the stomach (I think? maybe intestines? I don't know) and that causes horrible nausea, so I'll happily take a beating lower down for now.
  • Options
    I'm getting a lot of very low kicks too and occasionally a few that feel like she is flipping. It's better than DD2 who was transverse until 39 weeks and would kick my ribs on one side while trying to break them with her head on the other 
  • Options
    Most of my kicks so far have been just above the waist of my pants and righ under my belly button. The other day I felt a couple kicks right at my belly button and that's the highest I've felt them so far. :)

Me: 31

DH: 29, SA - Great

Married: June 12,2011

TTC #1: 1/2014

Diagnosis: Hypothalamic Amenorrhea

Treatment: Clomid:  50mg, 100mg, 150mg - not successful and not monitored

Menopur 75ml (upped to 112.5ml), Ovidrel, & IUI  IUI #1 8/31/2015

9/15/2015: BFP HCG - 400, 9/17/2015: HCG - 827, 9/21/2015 - HCG 3,327!
    Heartbeat 10/2/2015: 118bpm
    DS: 5/27/2016

TTC# 2: 12/2017
    BFP: 4/20/2018
    EDD: 12/29/2018
  • Options
    Mine kicks ALL over.  Started mostly around my bladder (fun) but now she just moves around a lot.  Sometimes it's on one side all day (I think she prefers the right for some reason), sometimes it's down bottom, sometimes it's up top... Once, she must have managed to kick AND punch me with a big stretch at the same time--I got two big bumps simultaneously at my upper right and lower left!  She was doing some yoga moves at the ultrasound, so she is just a really active baby, lol.
  • Options
    KurrantKurrant member
    edited February 2016
    Most of my kicks are very very low with the occasional belly button punch. More often than not though I feel kicks on both sides near my hips as if baby is laying sideways and punching and kicking at the same time. Anyone else have these low simultaneous side kicks?

Edit: oh silly me, I must have left this open for too long between reading and posting and after hitting "post comment" I saw about 8 more come up that answered my question. 
  • Options
    I wish I could say all mine are low .. it could very well be I've only gained about 9lbs and my ultrasound yesterday showed him breech and his feet are on my bladder and his head is around my ribs ! I can hardly sit these days because it's so uncomfortable I normally feel punches above my belly button and kicks down below and I'm only 27 weeks .. I'm scared for him to get bigger haha
  • Options
    I've mainly felt low kicks, but have started feeling a few above the belly button this week. I'm 28 1/2 weeks.
  • Options
    Low kicks here too.....she likes to kick my sciatic nerve unfortunately :(
  • Options
    Jip lower than belly button and always at the same spot on the left hand side. I started feeling some movements on the other side, but it's no as distinct. He's been lying like this for weeks and doc says probably won't move but he's happy! 
  • Options
    slfezz said:
    I'm getting a lot of very low kicks too and occasionally a few that feel like she is flipping. It's better than DD2 who was transverse until 39 weeks and would kick my ribs on one side while trying to break them with her head on the other 
    Yikes! This is what I'm worried about. This baby favors transverse but will usually flip one way or another by the end of the day, only to be transverse again in the morning. I can't imagine how uncomfortable that would be at 39 weeks!
  • Options
    I'm almost 30 weeks and I've just recently started feeling kicks near my ribs. I have an anterior placenta, though.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Sharra13 said:
    Mine kicks ALL over.  Started mostly around my bladder (fun) but now she just moves around a lot.  Sometimes it's on one side all day (I think she prefers the right for some reason), sometimes it's down bottom, sometimes it's up top... Once, she must have managed to kick AND punch me with a big stretch at the same time--I got two big bumps simultaneously at my upper right and lower left!  She was doing some yoga moves at the ultrasound, so she is just a really active baby, lol.
    Same for me. Baby kicks all over the place! Up, down , left and right and sometimes all at once. This morning I snuggled up to DH and he felt the kicks in his back;-)  what an amazing feeling! 

• Options
    Hmmm..I feel like a bit of an outlier. I feel kicks a couple inches above my belly button, on the sides. FWIW, I have an anterior placenta and a long torso (I'm 6 feet tall). Sometimes I feel kicks around my cervix, though. I have no idea about the position of this little guy. I'm chalking that up to the anterior placenta...
    Me: 38; DH: 41
    DS: Born 5-17-16 

• Options
    I feel baby's kicks, ticks, and punches all over the place at different times. Some days he feels so low that I can feel movements almost in my groin. Is that normal?? lol ftm
  • Options
    I always feel my little girl on the left side lol...all up and down... One time it made me jump out of my seat  :p
  • Options
    My little girl likes to hang out on the lower left side or caddy cornered (aka diagonal).   Most of the movements I feel are generally on the lower left.  Most of the ultrasounds she has her head in the lower left side.  So I guess she is headbutting me down there or punching?  Not sure.  Plus, I have anterior placenta so I only feel it in certain areas.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    @nerdymama15  if the movements you feel are sudder and clustered, you may be feeling hiccups.
  • Options
    @kbrands7  - I was actually wondering about this? How do you know it's a hiccup and not, like, a muscle tremor or something? :S 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @AmmyBelle, honestly it's pretty hard to tell sometimes. To me, the hiccups come in waves, and usually I'll feel a head-butt with them and sort of an all around jolt; if it's in reaction to something, it's more likely to be the Moro reflex. Muscle spasms kind of feel like a shiver to me. I was just at the doctor yesterday and LO had hiccups while on the doppler-- it was pretty neat to hear them-- and my OB confirmed that was what I was feeling. 
  • Options
    Low kicks here too! I'm 27 weeks and all kicks seem to be at hip level/pelvis level. This baby feels very low as opposed to my first who was super high!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Basically all my kicks have been below the belly button as well, which is why I think she's feet-down.
    This week, I've started feeling some upper movement, but still mostly below
    ~~Signature Trigger Warning~~

Me: 32; Him: 36
    Married: Oct 20, 2013
    BFP 1: Aug 31, 2015
    EDD 1: May 12, 2016
    DD1 Emma born May 12, 2016
    An Honest Account of New Motherhood (with Postpartum Anxiety, Depression, and OCD)

BFP 2: October 07, 2019
    EDD 2: June 20, 2020

• Options
    This baby is head down, and likes to have his feet extended over his head so he can grab/eat his feet (per the U/S I had a week ago) I feel kicks and hiccups very low. The only movement I feel higher up is when he moves his butt from one side of my stomach to the other, that's up by my ribs 
  • Options
    My LO was usually moving up high. Last night I caught her kicks on video up high by my ribs, now this morning they are way low. Not sure if she flipped or what but it fluctuated like this last week too. Apparently she still has plenty of room in there to play around. I definitely enjoy the higher kicks though (even if they are more painful!)
  • Options
    Low kicks up until last week for me. They were always really, really low. Last week, I got a few near my belly button and now, that I'm nearing the 30th week, I'm suddenly getting them way above the belly button too. So the baby definitely does travel and the kicks accordingly. But low kicks appear to be normal.