May 2016 Moms
Options

Having visitors stay over after LO is born

Hay everyone!

How are you handling having visitors from out-of-town after LO is born? DH's parents will be coming to visit, and I'm leaning towards asking them to stay in a hotel, but DH wants them to stay with us. The place we are moving into next month is pretty small with no guest room, I don't think I'll feel like entertaining 24/7, I don't really want to dress up every morning and leave the room constantly to breastfeed. But we also feel awkward asking them to pay for a hotel and can't pay for it ourselves. 

What are you doing for visitors? Is having people stay over going to be too much after giving birth? 

Re: Having visitors stay over after LO is born

• Options
    My MIL is coming to stay from England for two weeks, about a month after I have LO. I'm not looking forward to that at all. 

With my son I spent the first 2 months in a nursing tank with my boobs out, now I will have to either sit in my room alone to feed or use one of those annoying covers. Also, she isn't helpful in terms of watching my son so it isn't like I will have help with that. 

I think it is too much to have people stay, but I have no other option. She barely comes to visit as it is, so I just have to roll with it. 

I have no suggestions...just sympathy! lol
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Did they buy their tickets yet? If not I would definitely speak up about the hotel!!!! It's not that you don't want to see them just that entertaining so soon after delivery is too much  ;) 
  • Options
    My Mom is coming to stay with us for 3 weeks (my Dad is coming for a weekend, he just started a new job in January), and she will have the spare room (baby is sleeping with us). My MIL wants to come too ... I just don't know when she wants to come, or for how long, or really anything. My SO doesn't really care either way and we have a large couch that he says one of them can sleep on, so I suppose when the doorbell rings and she's there, I can ... give her the couch? I wish I could suggest a hotel or something, and my SO probably would support me with that, but if my Mom's staying with us, it feels wrong to tell my MIL to get a hotel. So ... I feel your pain. <3
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My mom is coming for a couple weeks after the baby is born. She's staying in the guest room. She's done the same when each of my brother's kids were born, and she helps a lot with meals, cleaning, etc. We have zero issues with her coming, as first time parents we can use all the help we can get.

I would be thrilled if my ILs visited, but they're out of the country and can't come out until autumn.
  • Options
    This is kind of a sticky situation for me, too, so I'll be following this thread for ideas. Both my family and DH's live out of state and will be flying in for the birth. DH's grandmother owns a vacation condo on the other side of town, and his parents are planning to stay there. My MIL is a school teacher and is planning to use her vacation time to take off the last few weeks of the school year so she can just stay in town for rest of the summer. That's no problem because it's on the other side of town and not with us and she knows how to respect boundaries.

The problem is that my parents are planning to stay with us. We have a guest room, so there's space for them, but my mother drives me insane! She is so overbearing and inconsiderate, and while I have no problem telling her to back the fuck off, I don't feel like constantly arguing with her while I'm trying to bond with and learning to care for my newborn. My dad is great, and when he's with her, he helps to rein her in a bit, but he will only have limited vacation time to use (probably a week to 10 days at most), and she wants to stay longer. I will feel bad telling her she can's stay after he leaves - especially since my MIL will be in town with LO all summer - but there is no way I can deal with her for more than the week or so my dad is here with her. I really don't even want her staying at our house at all after the birth, but we live in an expensive beach resort town, and I know my parents can't afford to get a hotel room around here for that long. I may have DH mention something to my MIL about my mom staying in the guest room at DH's family's condo after our dads leave. It isn't ideal, but it would at least get her out of my house! My sister and BIL also want to come for the birth, but they have an infant who will be about 6 months old at the time and would probably need to stay with us as well, and I don't think I'll be up for that - not to mention having only one guest room that my parents will be staying in. I'm not sure what we're going to do yet.

If you aren't going to be comfortable with your ILs staying with you, I think you should insist on them staying somewhere else. Explain to your husband that the birth is going to be a lot on you, physically and emotionally, and you are going to need private time to decompress after. Then, he needs to be the one to break it to his parents that they can't stay with you. How long are they planning to stay? If it's just for a few days, do you have a close friend in the area with an extra guest room who wouldn't mind letting them stay?  
  • Options
    I would tell them that you are excited that they are coming (truth or lie) but say that since you don't have an extra room, you don't have anywhere for them to stay. That gives them the opportunity to say, "oh, well we will get a hotel" or if they do say "oh, it's ok, we'll just sleep on the couch" kindly tell them that you guys feel it will be too much when you are bringing home a newborn. I feel like your H should be the one to put his foot down, not you. And if your DH won't be supportive, also kindly remind him that you are pushing the baby out of your vagina and BOTH of you will be sleep deprived and most likely want your space. 
  • Options
    Oh I hear you ladies here! My parents (who live a 6 hr drive away) will be coming once we ask them to (probably 1-2 days after the delivery), and will likely stay for a day or two. I have no problems with that. Now, my in-laws are coming (4-hr flight) what we're hoping is about 2 weeks after (due May 3, coming May 18, plane tickets bought from Friday to Tuesday). We're cool with that. Now turns out my husband's two aunts (dad's sisters) and their husbands also want to come and visit at the same time. We have a 4 bedroom, 3 bath house...so we sort of have space. I informed them from the get go that one of them would have to bring their own inflatable mattress (we have 2 guestrooms) or take the couch- they offered to get a hotel room if I wanted them to. I think I can live with them being around- they're nice and supportive, and amazing cooks. They certainly help out when we go visit FIL. I'm a little apprehensive about MIL (DH's stepmother) because she's quite the know-it-all and I have a bit of a feeling she's going to tell me all about breastfeeding when she hasn't had kids herself. But considering I've kicked DH's mom out of our house before, I feel I can do the same if need be. 

Now the cherry on top of the cake: this weekend, DH's brother calls (he was 1-hr away with his gf, but didn't have time to visit...) and asks DH about when their dad is coming to see baby. So DH tells him, and BIL decides he might want to come at the same time! For the record, the one other time he came to visit, I found empty bottles of cheap booze in the vanity of the bathroom his aunt was using (not coming from her that I'm sure...). So I told DH 'Sorry, we're full, he'll have to get a hotel', info which DH only partially transmitted ('we have 6 other people coming that weekend'). Last thing I need is to have a newborn and a bunch of drunks on my hands...So now I'm considering asking everyone but FIL to get themselves a hotel. Ugh....
  • Options
    Oh ladies I feel you on this. This is the fourth baby and we live 10± hours away from any family. Now I would love for my mother to come and stay with us. She is helpful and I trust her. And she would make my life very easy. My DH would have no problem with the idea of her staying here. But with anyone else, especially MIL or FIL, I'm going to say not here... I just have to get my DH on board because he likes to give his dad our room leaving me to sleep on the couch or with my son's. Not going to happen! 
    DS #1 2010
    DS #2 2011
    DS #3 2014
    DS #4 2016
  • Options
    dsmith211dsmith211 member
    edited February 2016
    My mom is coming down, but she already said she would be getting a hotel or getting a a short term vacation rental in the area for the 2 weeks she's here so that we have some space. And that may not be until a few weeks after baby is born. Thankfully I didn't have to mention anything... She just took that upon herself. However that's probably bc she had a bad experience when my sister was born... Both her mom and my dad's mom came down and stayed for 2 weeks that time and apparently were just total nightmares while they were there. She completely understands that DH and I want privacy to adjust. Now the rest of my family... They'll probably just show up bc that's how they are. I've already mentioned they can see the baby once we get home, but I don't want people hovering and I want a little bit of adjustment time. They all seemed put out by having to wait a day or 2.
  • Options
    I would definitely tell them they need to stay in a hotel. Realistically, you will be in pain, sleep deprived, bleeding, potentially trying to breastfeed, and your whole world will be upside down. In addition, you will need to set up camp in the living room for your daytime life (i.e. passing out on the couch every two hours between Netflix and feedings), and you'll be wandering the house at all hours (because babies don't keep normal schedules, and you will be starving!). But most importantly, YOU and your DH need to get your footing, and figure out what works for you, and be able to disagree without people overhearing. You shouldn't have to worry about covering a boob, or hosting anyone in any way at all during that time. You and your husband will need time to just be with the baby, not to hear other peoples advice, have them lurking around constantly, etc.

I've personally never understood the idea of needing "help" when baby arrives, unless your spouse is unavailable/non-existent. Because people don't really help. They want to come and hold the baby and talk to you. And all you want to do is sleep, not hurt so much, and maybe take a shower. Particularly if you are breastfeeding, there really isn't anything other people can do with regard to the baby other than hold him/her once they pass out from feedings (which you don't exactly need help with because you can put them in the crib). It's one thing if people want to pop in for a few hours, BRING YOU FOOD, do the dishes, watch baby sleep while you shower, etc. But it's quite another to have them around 24/7 staring at you blankly (or worse, offering "advice") when you are barely coherent. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We also have run into this situation. We are in Canada, my parents are coming from Australia for 6 weeks right around when the baby is due, which we're completely happy with. The help and company will be amazing for me. The issue was my aunt who wanted to come and stay/visit too because she is going to be on a business trip in the states. I sent her a polite message saying maybe another time will be better as we don't have any extra room and I'd like to spend the time with my parents and newborn. She was actually totally understanding which is good. 

I just want the freedom to do what needs to be done with a newborn and I know my parents won't get in the way of that. I'll have to cover up a bit more than I would like but I can deal with that for a little bit if it's means having the extra support! 

Families are tough!!! 
  • Options
    Hotel, 100%! And give them windows of time they can visit, that don't have to be set every day so you can have some flexibility around whatever LO is doing that day.

Last time my in laws came 3 weeks after DS was born and arrived the day my husband went back to work, so I was already emotional and DH was missing us so much. They don't stay with us but they're the type to come over in the morning and sit on our couch all. day. long. Seriously, how are you not bored, because you're sure as heck not helping me with the dishes or laundry! And they'd stay so late that we would miss the first 2-3 hour spurt of sleep, which obviously set us up to have a rough night, and I was stuck in our room or the nursery trying to breast feed. I felt isolated and stressed about being done "fast enough" so they could hold him before they left, or ate etc. 

Also it turned out that MIL was a bit of a baby hog, not letting DH hold him when he got home from work, not letting FIL hold him for 3 days after they'd arrived, telling me she knew what he needed to be soothed (spoiler alert, you don't have breast milk). Plus we cooked dinner and cleaned up every night, while they relaxed. This time I've asked that no one from out of town visit for 4 weeks because we need to focus on DS2 and making sure DS1 has a smooth and positive transition to big brother. I feel like the best way for that to happen is to keep him on his normal schedule and grandparents camping out 24/7 isn't that. I'm sure they think I'm insane, but if you don't help when you visit then you're guests and I don't have time for guests with a newborn, toddler, dog and husband plus an apartment full of laundry and dishes. 
  • Options
    My in-laws wanted to come in June but we convinced them to come in late July/early August to give us more time to figure it out and plus the weather is way nicer (we live in Alberta Canada). They'll be staying with us and aren't a huge help but at least the extra time to ourselves will be a bonus.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker                                    Anniversary
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    If you have any feelings even now that you don't want that arrangement of a guest staying in your house after birth for one overnight or more - do not agree.
    I did reluctantly the first time around and it was one of the most stressful, awkward, & unhelpful things I ever did in those early days and made more work for me and more work for my entire family when I should have been focused on my baby, breastfeeding, recovering, or sleeping. 

Not only was it a death by a thousand paper cuts situation (condescending comments & behavior, mocking, questioning, pushing feeding methods we don't agree with, making suggestions we don't agree which they knew but suggested anyway, baby hogging even when baby was crying and needed fed, etc.) it ended up we had to tell the person to leave and end the visit some days in after they arrived for their open ended "helpful" visit. It should have never happened in the first place. 

If you go forward anyway you are wise to insist on a two day maximum and also insist on the visitor and guest staying in a hotel. I wish we had done that. 

Also read
    Emotional Blackmail
    and
    Toxic In-Laws by Susan Forward.
    And this:
    https://community.babycenter.com/post/a29842181/the_lemon_clot_essay-_if_you_are_planning_to_have_people_over_after_birth_you_need_to_read_this

• Options
    If we didn't have a spare room then I would be making all guests get a hotel, except my mother probably. My family lives 9 hrs away (driving) and my parents plan to come down shortly after baby is here and stay a week or so. I'll be glad to have my mom as she is very helpful and wants to do the cooking and cleaning and helping me with the baby so I can catch some sleep. My poor dad is really not going to be of any help but I do want him around his first grand baby. I don't have in-laws to worry about. So it's just me, SO and my side of the family. My cousin may be coming down also after my parents leave and no she will be NO help what so ever and probably annoy me most of the time... it will be nice to have her visit though since we are like best friends and she will pretty much be an aunt to my LO. All situations and families are different... do what's best for yours! (which seems like it would be guests = hotel! lol)
  • Options
    My MIL is coming to stay from England for two weeks, about a month after I have LO. I'm not looking forward to that at all. 

With my son I spent the first 2 months in a nursing tank with my boobs out, now I will have to either sit in my room alone to feed or use one of those annoying covers. Also, she isn't helpful in terms of watching my son so it isn't like I will have help with that. 

I think it is too much to have people stay, but I have no other option. She barely comes to visit as it is, so I just have to roll with it. 

I have no suggestions...just sympathy! lol
    Your house, you dress exactly how you want and if your MIL complains tell her exactly that. She doesn't have to look and she doesn't have to stay with you. 
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
     I am worried about the death by 1000 cuts @camillaandcarson mentioned with my mom.  We don't get along especially well, and she and my sister (who is my favorite person in the world) are coming the 2nd week of June.  We're having twins so they will probably arrive early and give DH and I a chance to get our bearings and establish a routine, but if they go full term it will be tougher. 

Since she expressed disapproval in my choices starting the day I told her about the pregnancy, I can only imagine how difficult it will be when the babies are actually here.  My brother has had this experience with his kids and advised me to set very clear ground rules. 

Luckily guests will be upstairs and we'll be downstairs. 

• Options
    I sympathize with all you ladies! Although both our families live in town and won't be asking to sleep over, I am still worried/irritated that my MIL, SIL and her girlfriend expect to be coming over and visiting LO so soon after I give birth. With all my friends who have had babies, I simply tell them I am here to help and bring them dinners if they want. I would never insist on coming over to visit when everything is so new and crazy in their lives! I feel like some family members see the birth of a new baby as a special time for them and so they impose themselves on others.

DH and I have discussed this and we aren't allowing any family or friends over to house until at least 2 weeks (or longer) after birth. My MIL has already told me she wants to help with cooking, cleaning and caring for our dogs while we get rest and I really appreciate it but her help is not worth it to me because she causes me so much stress. I will not feel comfortable being half naked in my house trying to learn to breastfeed while MIL, SIL and her girlfriend are around to see everything. I feel like this should be a special and personal time for me and DH to adjust and welcome LO into our lives. DH is even thinking of telling his mother that if she wants to prepare us dinners then he will pick them up from her rather than her coming over and lingering around. I know they are not going to be happy about our wishes but we'll see if they can respect it.
  • Options
    SisterMaryNapalm thank you so much for posting that essay! I completely agree and am going to show my husband.

• Options
    @SisterMaryNapalm THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL!
    DH hasn't invited anyone to stay with us postpartum but I'm sending him the essay anyway. At least then I'll know he won't be getting any ideas. 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    @SisterMaryNapalm, thank you for posting! I just sent that link to my husband with a request that he read it so we can discuss it later.

My MIL is planning to come stay with us for a week after the birth. She's a nurse practitioner, so I understand that she could be helpful, but we've literally met twice in almost 6 years of my being married to her son. She also said/emailed some really hurtful things when we first got married which I haven't forgotten.

She wants to meet her grandson and my husband doesn't want to discourage her from building a relationship, but the thought of her being underfoot for a week has driven me to tears. She says that she plans to cook, clean and help with overnight feedings so we can enjoy the baby, but I have a housekeeper! She cleans the way I like, she does our laundry the way I like, and she doesn't intrude in our lives in the process. Although she doesn't cook, I'd be great with takeout sushi daily. The last time my MIL cooked for me, my IBS couldn't handle it as she eats red meat almost exclusively  (something I eat once a month at most).

I had abdominal surgery last March and my own mother was exhausting. She showed up too early and woke me up, she wouldn't give me the food I wanted, I was never able to nap because she was making noise, and she even kept messing with our damn thermostat (not a big deal to most, but sacrilege if you're in my home). I just can't imagine how I'm going to cope with someone who is basically a stranger when my own mother stressed me out.

Sorry for the rant, its just been building.
  • Options
    @lbachran How soon is your MIL planning on visiting after the birth? I would suggest discussing your concerns with your husband now in order to come to an agreement and notify your MIL when she can plan her visit. I feel similarly about my MIL and own mother visiting after our birth and we are letting everyone know we want at least 2 weeks privacy and then will be accepting family and friends to visit our home. I've heard from many friends/mothers that it is best to be straight forward about your wishes early so family has time to understand and hopefully avoid drama last minute.
  • Options
    @Knottie64278661, she's literally planning to  be here the day we are released from the hospital. I have to undergo a c-section, so she checks in with DH weekly to see if we have a date. I believe her mother did this for her when she was pregnant and she loved it, so she feels like it's this tremendous gift. (I just wanted something off my registry, is that so much to ask?)

DH is so avoidant about this topic. She rarely makes an effort towards us and I know he misses her (she lives 5hrs away), so I feel like he's just blinded by the whole idea.
  • Options
    This has been a sore spot for us since I got pregnant.  As soon as my husband told his mom, she said she wanted to come and visit right after the baby is born.  I hate his mom (and he doesn't really like her that much either, but has some kind of loyalty brain block with her that makes him forget how sucky it is to be around her, between visits).  She is usually an awful house-guest (super slobby, unhelpful and rude, covered in smoker stench) and I get crazy stressed out even for "normal" visits with her staying at our place, so the thought of her staying over when we are trying to deal with a new baby, feedings, etc...just no.  We just do not need the added stress and work of hosting someone at our house, much less someone that makes everything that much harder. 
  • Options
    My inlaws are coming 2 weeks before my due date and will stay until end of July. They are coming from Colombia and I know they will be helpful. I truly hope I just don't get annoyed. I need to be grateful as long as they come to help.
  • Options
    I have already had to politely turn down two visitors from the USA to NZ. A cousin is having a wedding on May 8th in California and I'm due May 2nd. Obviously I won't be attending. I had 2 cousins talk about coming to NZ right after the wedding. atleast one was understanding about me not wanting a crowd. I also had an aunt say "If it wasn't for this wedding I would be in NZ when the baby is born." She has hinted that she may want to come after the wedding. I *REALLY* hope no one plans a surprise visit. We have no spare rooms and just about the only person I would maybe accept a visit from would be my mother. Seeing as she isn't around I just want to be left in peace while I get adjusted to this new person in my life and how daily life will be.

I say put your foot down people! If you want time with baby then say so and if people still insist on coming into town then make it clear that you will not be entertaining them. Ask them to stay with another relative or at a hotel that way you can pick when they come to see you and the baby. It may sound mean telling someone to stay elsewhere but you only get those first few weeks with baby once and really . . . isn't this the time to make the selfish calls and make sure you take care of yourself and your new family dynamics first?
  • Options
    My dad stayed with us for a few days after my daughter arrived. He was very sweet- cleaned up before we arrived home and had dinner ready. I wanted him to leave. (Lol) I was a stressed out freak. Nursing got off to a bad start and I just wanted to be alone. My hubby talked me off the ledge... 
    He's considering coming out again this time. I will probably tell him he can certainly come visit, but he may want to stay with his brother. I already know this will be a whole new experience! Leave me alone! 
  • Options
    Sounds like the consensus is to be clear about ground rules and expectations if you're going to welcome someone into your home right after your baby is born. 
  • Options
    I asked my mom about this phenomenon of FTM moms taking time off work to help with the new baby. She said emphatically "moms don't help with the first baby. Moms help with the second baby and so on. And we only take the older babies". 
    I personally hate entertaining or people being in my house. DH and I throw two parties a year for our birthdays and they take a lot out of me. My family will be waiting at our house when we come home with the baby, but they aren't staying. They just wanna look at LO in person and that's it. I don't know what my IL's plans are, but I hope they don't include staying here when I have a new baby.
  • Options
    bkjadebkjade member
    edited February 2016
    People offer to come stay and help out and I'm like 
  • Options
    Sorry to take this on a tangent, but I've done some googling, but maybe someone here as a clearer answer on TDAP.  I've read that it's effectiveness decreases over time, but I've also read that adults only need one booster. 

Sooo... If someone had a TDAP shot 8 years ago, is that good enough?  @LadySamLady Do you know?