2nd Trimester

Trying to Enjoy My Pregnancy...Regardless

Hi everyone!! I do hope everyone is doing well with whatever is going on with your life. Babies, getting pg, raising kids, jobs, hubby, the family dog....just life in general!! Please excuse my slightly over the top mushiness....I've been reading and hearing a lot of negativity lately, and I'm just over it. :blush: 

So here is my issue...and I'll try not to drag this on too long. I'm FINALLY pregnant with my second baby who is due in July (i've had 3 mc, surgery, fertility meds and a long road to get here). A little girl. I have a 17 year old son already. I was 19 when i had him, and things didn't go well. There's a LONG list of things that happened during that time, and sadly i don't look back with fond memories. I've been told it was one of the worst stories known. I've heard some worse, but it's up there on that list. On top of that, I wasn't "allowed" to enjoy my pregnancy....because "cows have babies everyday". SO...i always said if i ever got lucky enough to be blessed with baby number 2, things would be different!!

This time, while my new dh's family is supportive and very excited, as this is their first grandchild, they're kind of sucking the joy right out. My dh and i feel like we are getting the shaft on this pregnancy. Everything from the shower to our baby registry!! His mom pushed and pushed us to go register. So we did. Then called me and complained about the prices of the crib and mattress we picked out!! Which btw we went to Babies R' Us, and was NOT horribly expensive at ALL!! We picked out what we would buy on our small budget! We feel like no one really cares what WE want. It's all about them and what THEY want. They keep pushing really horrible used clothes on us for the baby, which we're kind of picky about. On top of the unsolicited advice that everyone gets, we get a lot of unsolicited "What WE'RE gonna do with the baby" stuff. Then we get the "You don't need a stroller", or "Just buy a used car seat" or my favorite "Does the baby really need all that stuff?". I have done this before!! I know what to buy and what not to!! Then there's the baby shower that no one cares about, or is planning. My dh and i have discussed planning our own as his mom doesn't want to be the hostess (she seems to think that's not "allowed". I'd like to know who is the dictator of baby showers?? Are the shower police going to show up and say, "Excuse me ma'am? But ugh....you can't host this. This baby shower is canceled!" I mean really!!) and my family is 3400 miles away and obviously can't. There's no one else in his family who can or will offer. His family is very wrapped up in his cousin's pregnancy and seems to not care about ours at all, even though he's the oldest cousin (there's only 3 of them) and the only boy, and we're due before her. After all the heartache we've been through, we both just feel really saddened by all of this. I'm sure this sounds petty and ridiculous to some. But again, I've been through a LOT. to get here and I'm very high risk and adding all of this to that, is just too much.

I know a lot of folks say to just "let it roll off" or to "ignore" but that's easier said than done with this family. They like to remind us. A LOT. I just want to enjoy this time together.

All this to say, has anyone else been through this type of thing? What did you do? How did you handle it all? And did you wind up throwing your own shower? If you did, how did you go about it, and was it frowned upon?

Re: Trying to Enjoy My Pregnancy...Regardless

• Well thank you for making me cry. I really appreciate that. To clarify, no one is buying off of our registry because no one cares. Or did you miss that?? The used items aren't just clothes, it's all baby related things. Which brings safety issues!! I'm sorry that i upset you with this post. Why did you bother commenting if you were going to be so nasty??
  • Loading the player...
  • Ok. Thanks for all the advice. Clearly my pregnancy brain is alive and well. My words just aren't working like i want them to and it's very frustrating. It's not about the gifts, or lack of. That wasn't my point at all. I see that it kinda reads that way though. I'm sorry. Like i said, my words just aren't working like i want them to. And sadly i can't figure out how to delete this post. My apologies for this post all together. Never mind.
  • thebigoaktreethebigoaktree member
    edited February 2016
    If you're due in July, maybe go to the July bmb board and look around, you might find a thread that is some what like this, or at least one to respond to un-wanted remarks from family members. 

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • SarahFoley725SarahFoley725 member
    edited February 2016
    I am sorry that people aren't as excited as you want them to be or that they seem to be wrapped up in something else. It's only Feb and you're not due until July, maybe someone will step up to offer. It is very tacky to throw your own baby shower, though. Take the clothes you're being given, go through them and keep what you want and don't use what you don't want. That's what we did. As for other used items, you don't HAVE to use anything just because it's been given to you. If you have a safety concern obviously don't use it. This is only the tip of the ice berg of in law drama and you'll have to pick your battles. IMO this isn't one worth fighting. 
  • To echo @nerdchild, I'm buying everything I want off my registry list. It doesn't bother me at all. Try to just be happy that you're having a perfectly healthy pregnancy and you're already almost half way to seeing your baby. I look at baby registries as suggestions, and if you really want one particular item you'll find away to buy it yourself. 

Me: 30, DH: 31

Married: May 16th 2015

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

IAmPregnant Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • charmedlifex3charmedlifex3 member
    edited February 2016

What I have seen done in the situation where no one throws a shower (or it's a second child) is the new parents throw a "meet the baby!" party after the birth. Most people will bring gifts, but there is less of an expectation to do so. It sounds like that might be a compromise?

The strictest etiquette says you shouldn't even have a shower, since this is child number 2, and nobody immediately related should throw it. But... Grandma's throw showers all the time, and especially when the children are more than 10 years apart, or within a second marriage, second baby showers are more common now too.

And if you don't want the used items (or the things you get are not your style), take them, say thank you, and either donate or sell them. Especially the little little baby things, they grow out of them so fast a lot of times "used" means "wore once"

And yeah, my registry is as much a shopping list as anything else at this point. I got the freebie box, and discount for completing it, so I buy everything off of there. If I want something for the baby, I add it to the registry, then buy it. #Shameless.

• For the hand me downs, if you don't want them then don't keep them. If it's not your style, or no longer meets safety standards then there is nothing wrong with refusing those items or donating them if I good condition. People will always give you unsolicited advice. I'm on baby #3 and I still get parenting advice for new borns. It's annoying, but you do just have to let it go. 

Maybe your MIL was hoping to buy you your crib and such, but didn't realize how expensive they can be and it's out of her price range? 

Baby shower: I'm sorry, but don't throw your own. It's tacky and looks gift grabby. If no one offers, but you want to celebrate with family then have a cookout and don't mention baby shower at all. Since you're not due until July you'll have plenty of good weather for hosting a party. That's what we did with baby #2 who was born the end of July. 

Im really sorry that you're having such a hard time right now, and I hope things get easier soon. you've been through a lot to have this sweet baby, maybe stay focused on that and how happy and excited you are for this new addition to your family. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Honestly... we had the opposite issue. I put a crib I really liked on the registry, super simple style, $109.00.

My parents are buying the crib and my dad said "My grandchild is NOT sleeping in a $100 crib. Ugh. Pick out something else."

I was like.. but... I LIKE that one!

To be fair, my parents are buying it, so they do get some say, but it just goes to show, you can't win with stuff like this.

• A friend can throw you a baby shower, even though it is baby #2, especially considering your first is 17. Alternatively,  try a meet the baby party as well for afterwards.

As far as your in laws bothering you, put up some boundaries. A registry is not a required list, but a convenient list for folks. If they don't like what you picked out, they should keep it to themselves. This is your baby. Of course, people are free to buy what they like, but you are free to return it too, if you don't like it. 
    As for clothes, we are inundated with offers of used clothes. We are taking them because kids grow so fast. If you don't like what people offer, graciously decline, or, if you are nonconfrontational, take them and put them in the back of your closet.
    As for used car seats/cribs etc, I would say you need new ones due to new safety features/regulations that come out. 
    Obviously this was a big deal to you, so I'm glad you posted it. Hormones are raging and sometimes we just need to get it out. A hen you look back, you may see what you were upset about wasn't a big deal, but in the moment it is and you need to rant about it without someone telling you "it's not a big deal." If you don't have a good support system in place (friends, siblings etc.) I urge you to find some support so you don't feel isolated. Also, let your in laws know when they do something that bugs you (have you DH there too, to present a united front). They aren't mind readers and some people just have no tact. Hope your day gets better!! Go get some ice cream, sounds like you need it! :)
  • @Nerdchild, I'm getting so much stuff at Ikea!  I really like there cribs ( and alot cheaper than the $699 ones at babies r us lol) plus the one I liked has really good reviews and is only 130.

OP, you have to remember other peoples lives don't revolve around you.  Try to remember not everyone wants to hear or talk about baby stuff all the time.  I always make sure to ask about their kids or find out what's going on in their lives.  Also, you are pretty far off, it might not be real to some people yet.  

I think your right though, you might just be overwhelmed and have pregnancy brain.  Your gonna have a beautiful & smart baby.  

It's funny, I have like 8 nieces and nephews, and I get incredible emotional, when they give me something they used for their babies (bassinet , changing table, rocking chair, clothes) because it's something that was their child's that they are sharing with me.  It's like a memory.
  • Jmaddiso said:
    Hi everyone!! I do hope everyone is doing well with whatever is going on with your life. Babies, getting pg, raising kids, jobs, hubby, the family dog....just life in general!! Please excuse my slightly over the top mushiness....I've been reading and hearing a lot of negativity lately, and I'm just over it. :blush: 

So here is my issue...and I'll try not to drag this on too long. I'm FINALLY pregnant with my second baby who is due in July (i've had 3 mc, surgery, fertility meds and a long road to get here). A little girl. I have a 17 year old son already. I was 19 when i had him, and things didn't go well. There's a LONG list of things that happened during that time, and sadly i don't look back with fond memories. I've been told it was one of the worst stories known. I've heard some worse, but it's up there on that list. On top of that, I wasn't "allowed" to enjoy my pregnancy....because "cows have babies everyday". SO...i always said if i ever got lucky enough to be blessed with baby number 2, things would be different!!

This time, while my new dh's family is supportive and very excited, as this is their first grandchild, they're kind of sucking the joy right out. My dh and i feel like we are getting the shaft on this pregnancy. Everything from the shower to our baby registry!! His mom pushed and pushed us to go register. So we did. Then called me and complained about the prices of the crib and mattress we picked out!! Which btw we went to Babies R' Us, and was NOT horribly expensive at ALL!! We picked out what we would buy on our small budget! We feel like no one really cares what WE want. It's all about them and what THEY want. They keep pushing really horrible used clothes on us for the baby, which we're kind of picky about. On top of the unsolicited advice that everyone gets, we get a lot of unsolicited "What WE'RE gonna do with the baby" stuff. Then we get the "You don't need a stroller", or "Just buy a used car seat" or my favorite "Does the baby really need all that stuff?". I have done this before!! I know what to buy and what not to!! Then there's the baby shower that no one cares about, or is planning. My dh and i have discussed planning our own as his mom doesn't want to be the hostess (she seems to think that's not "allowed". I'd like to know who is the dictator of baby showers?? Are the shower police going to show up and say, "Excuse me ma'am? But ugh....you can't host this. This baby shower is canceled!" I mean really!!) and my family is 3400 miles away and obviously can't. There's no one else in his family who can or will offer. His family is very wrapped up in his cousin's pregnancy and seems to not care about ours at all, even though he's the oldest cousin (there's only 3 of them) and the only boy, and we're due before her. After all the heartache we've been through, we both just feel really saddened by all of this. I'm sure this sounds petty and ridiculous to some. But again, I've been through a LOT. to get here and I'm very high risk and adding all of this to that, is just too much.

I know a lot of folks say to just "let it roll off" or to "ignore" but that's easier said than done with this family. They like to remind us. A LOT. I just want to enjoy this time together.

All this to say, has anyone else been through this type of thing? What did you do? How did you handle it all? And did you wind up throwing your own shower? If you did, how did you go about it, and was it frowned upon?

1. Everyone has a story that will break your heart. I don't know what you're referring too as the worst thing ever, but I can assure you that every person hear has dealt with some shit in their life. It doesn't entitle you to anything. 
    2. You say you weren't "allowed" to enjoy your first pregnancy and you say things weren't going to be the same with your second. You're an adult now- you and only you are responsible for your own happiness. 
    3. I think you are misinterpreting and over reacting when you say that everyone wants what they want and don't care about your thoughts simply bc they want to give you hand me downs. I'm taking ALL the hand me downs I can get my hands on and the stuff that isnt going to work will be donated. 
    4. I agree with a pp that your MIL perhaps wanted to buy the crib and was perhaps surprised how much things cost. Ignore her comments. You said you registered for what you would buy on a small budget so I'm assuming you can afford to purchase it on your own. As is the case with having a child- it's no one else's responsibility to buy you stuff for your own kid. 
    5. Everyone is going to offer unsolicited advice. No one is immune to this! Pick your strategy to use in these cases. Smile and nod or a simple "I appreciate the advice, we'll take that into consideration" or simply "thank you but we have already made our decision on the matter. Boundaries are good. 
    6. I'm sorry that no one has offered to host a baby shower. Perhaps people will buy stuff off of the registry regardless, but yes- it is a bit tacky to throw your own shower. If you want to have a celebration with family members plan a meet and greet once the baby is born. 
    7. You and DH are the ones having this baby, no one else.  Enjoy this time with your husband and stop allowing others to dictate your emotions. 
  • I am going to be included in the planning, but both the grandmother's are who is planning the shower, for me. I'm sorry you're going through this at a time that should be filled with joy. If you know what you want, and need then it is okay for you to decline what you don't want. Maybe you could enlist the help from a friend to host if your MIL is being difficult?
  • The whole baby shower thing is fraught. I get it. And ladies on here are very opinionated about who should be throwing one. Your MIL's view on not throwing you one is the old traditional one--my mom feels the same way, my sister is not capable and they are both 400+ miles away. I also had a very long road fertility wise and I felt like this was a right of passage I could never get to. Luckily, I have now received offers, but in a lot of ways, I think I was hurt that the people in my life who I wanted to be joyful weren't more involved.

As for the weird present/hand me down stuff, I think you just need to deal with it. As you know, you can't just buy used car seats. You need a stroller. You picked a reasonably priced crib. If you choose not to use the hand me down clothes, that's within your purview.

And finally, I am sorry that people were so harsh with you. I personally am overwhelmed--maybe bc this baby was so uber-planned and fought for, it changes the expectations and makes it so you just want everything to be perfect, even more so than your average mom (and you already had an unpleasant first experience with your son). No matter what, your baby will have what he/she needs. And for support, you may need to look else where. Mom's groups, pre-moms groups (?), therapy, new friendships. Unfortunately internet strangers can go either way on being sympathetic. GL.
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • fourtsixand2fourtsixand2 member
    edited February 2016
    As others have said, throwing your own shower is a big no-no.  It's like having a birthday party.  Be grateful if someone offers to throw you one, and if no one does I'm sorry that stinks, but it's a privilege not a right.  Since you asked for our opinions, no, I personally wouldn't throw my own shower.  This baby is my responsibility, and if I have to provide everything he needs without the help of others, then so be it.  I'm not entitled.

Everyone is going to offer you advice, whether you want it or not.  Thank them politely and do what you want with the advice.  Your last child was born 17 years ago, so a lot has changed in the baby and baby technology world.  Heck, a lot has changed, according to my husband, since his son was born 8 years ago.  Just something to note.  They may actually be offering helpful advice with good intentions.   

I'm a little confused.  You say no one is buying you this or that, or doing this or that, because "no one cares".  Yet, you also say that you keep receiving offers of horrid used clothes that you don't like because you're picky, and you're getting all kinds of advice.  It seems to me like people around you do care, you just don't want to acknowledge it for whatever reason.  You don't have to like the second hand items you're receiving - you're allowed to have a preference!  But there isn't anything "wrong" with receiving it.  I'm thankful for any item I get because it shows someone is thinking of the baby, and I can use all the help I get.  If I choose not to use it, no problem ....I can pass it down or donate. 

You're due in July....you still have quite a ways to go - 5 months to be exact.  It's only February.  
    You seem pretty worked up about the things that aren't all that important at this time, like showers and material things.  Focus on you, your family, and your baby and I'm sure you will start to feel a little better.
    Good luck!

• I am sorry you are feeling so down.  As many PP have said by the strictest of Emily Post rules family members cannot throw a baby shower for you, it should be hosted by someone not related to uou. For many of us, this may seen to be an outdated tradition, but for your MIL it is still relevant. Pushing her on it won't hrlp.  If you really want a shower and no one has offered you could mention it to a friend. Just mention the MIL situation and that you would have loved a shower, perhaps the people around you all think someone else has it covered or that you don't need or want one given your situation. Be prepared though that it may not happen. 

I get that your first pregnancy was not what you wanted and you have dreamed of a different experience this tome, but you gave to let it be what it is going to be or you may well miss it wishing it were something else.

If you do end up having a shower this article might be of interest, https://offbeathome.com/2011/03/second-baby-showers

As to second hand gifts, try to accept them in the spirit offered and feel free to move them along. Although I totally support your stance against a second hand baby car seat, those are so easily not safe! 

Good luck.  Try to just find the joy in your pregnancy as it is. The more you push for it to be something that it isn't the more unhappy uou will be
  • liljabee said:
    I am sorry you are feeling so down.  As many PP have said by the strictest of Emily Post rules family members cannot throw a baby shower for you, it should be hosted by someone not related to uou. For many of us, this may seen to be an outdated tradition, but for your MIL it is still relevant. Pushing her on it won't hrlp.  If you really want a shower and no one has offered you could mention it to a friend. Just mention the MIL situation and that you would have loved a shower, perhaps the people around you all think someone else has it covered or that you don't need or want one given your situation. Be prepared though that it may not happen. 

I get that your first pregnancy was not what you wanted and you have dreamed of a different experience this tome, but you gave to let it be what it is going to be or you may well miss it wishing it were something else.

If you do end up having a shower this article might be of interest, https://offbeathome.com/2011/03/second-baby-showers

As to second hand gifts, try to accept them in the spirit offered and feel free to move them along. Although I totally support your stance against a second hand baby car seat, those are so easily not safe! 

Good luck.  Try to just find the joy in your pregnancy as it is. The more you push for it to be something that it isn't the more unhappy uou will be
    I've never heard that family members can't host a baby shower. Apparently I'm just tacky then, considering my sister is hosting mine. Oops! 

But it you do make a good point about the second hand car seat. That, in my opinion, is a no-no, unless you know EXACTLY where it came from and how the previous owners handled it (i.e. If OP were to get it from a best friend who's kid just outgrew it)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @sdLindenber You aren't tacky in the slightest! <3:)  It is one of those traditions that has changed over time but for women of a certain generation  - as seems to be the case for the OP's MIL they have heard that rule. This is why I said by the strictest Emily Post - I mean do most of us live by the Emily Post rules of life?  If that is what constitutes tacky then my whole darn life is tacky, LOL, and I would have it no other way. Most people these days have a family member host, traditions change. Personally, I think it is great that they do.  But, I thought it might help the OP to understand where her MIL  is coming from and that it is not necessarily a slight, but a genuine sense of propriety.
  • In my opinion baby showers should be for first babies/moms. I understand that you are having your first with a new H, I am in the same situation. I understand what you mean about wanting to enjoy this one pregnancy after not having that kid of experience last time, I had my daughter super young also. I am blessed to be able to choose what we want (and don't want for this baby) and get it ourselves. I agree with PPs that if someone wants to throw you a party then that is okay, but throwing one for yourself isn't the right thing to do. We made a registry also, but for a list of what we need, and for the completion discount to save some money. 

• I say throw your own shower. Who cares you can do what you want. Everyone says it's "tacky because gifts are involved" but isn't that exactly what a wedding is? You throw a party for you and DH for everyone to come to and celebrate and people give gifts. So how is a baby shower any different? If that's what you want to do then do it. If someone who is invited thinks it's tacky then they cannot show up. It's that simple. You should get to celebrate this new life however you want. Don't let some silly "rules" stop you from that no matter how many children you have. Also the "meet the baby" idea is good too once the baby is born. It's up to you!
  • Baby shower = bridal/wedding shower

Baby shower =/= wedding

A wedding is an occasion where two people get married at which people just happen to give gifts. The sole purpose for a shower is to give gifts. That's why it's not okay to throw your own shower.

i hope you can see the difference between a self-hosted wedding invitation (come watch us get married and help us celebrate our new union) and a self-hosted shower invitation (come give me gifts because I am getting married/having a baby in a month or two). 

So no, it's not okay to host your own shower. It's tacky. Pp's logic doesn't make it okay because those two situations are not comparable. 

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• Baby shower = bridal/wedding shower

Baby shower =/= wedding

A wedding is an occasion where two people get married at which people just happen to give gifts. The sole purpose for a shower is to give gifts. That's why it's not okay to throw your own shower.

i hope you can see the difference between a self-hosted wedding invitation (come watch us get married and help us celebrate our new union) and a self-hosted shower invitation (come give me gifts because I am getting married/having a baby in a month or two). 

So no, it's not okay to host your own shower. It's tacky. Pp's logic doesn't make it okay because those two situations are not comparable. 
    The bolded could also be stated as "come help us celebrate our new baby". I definitely don't think the sole purpose of a shower is to receive gifts. It's to celebrate, play some silly games, and yeah there are gifts involved. I'm not saying everyone should host their own baby shower. I'm just saying in her case if this is something she really wants to do to celebrate her new baby then just do it herself. Why let other people rob her of celebrating this new baby after fertility issues. If someone who is invited doesn't like it they can just not go. It's simple. I also said the "meet the baby" idea was good and definitely preferable in this situation but who are we to tell her she can't have a baby shower if that's what she wants?