May 2016 Moms
Options

Strangest baby/child names you have heard

Re: Strangest baby/child names you have heard

• Options
    tgortney said:
    I know a little Mexican-Asian mixed boy name Lancelot. They call him Lance but still...
    uhhhh actually I think that is pretty cool. But it would probably be too much for DS2 since DS1 is named Arthur.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My parents have a close friend named Manly Ho.
    Sounds like something from Deuce Bigalow.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I watched one of those special/unique home shows over a decade ago and the episode featured a hippie family that lived in the desert in this weird series of linked bubble rooms. They had three children, named as follows:
    - I Am
    - Rainbow
    - Star Child

The parents loved it because they could call all their children with a simple sentence.
  • Options
    Lurker from June '16- I graduated with Tommy Thomas Thompson and Rich Banker (his parents were straight up hippies)
    I'm from Wisconsin and one of our governors in the 90's was Tommy Thompson....
    Oh Tommy Tompson lol (wi here too)
  • Options
    I used to work medical insurance and there was a Dr Richard Head, that's right Doctor Dick Head
  • Options
    kbrands7 said:
    Chappy_jr said:
    I completely respect the African-American tradition of creative names that have a great sound to them.  
    I cannot, however, support unique spellings and unnecessary use of contractions in more common names just to make them "unique".  

Yes! I agree with this! The trend of unique spellings just to be different  (which I've seen across the board with word names, created names, and traditional names) can create so much confusion. Ie your kid's name being Mackenziee doesn't make it more unique than Mckenzie...it just makes it more confusing. 
    Eta-- I feel like I should clarify that this opinion isn't limited to one race!

My sister got a birthday invite for a girl named Aaliyaanah.  Poor child will hate her name before she even learns to spell it herself!
  • Options
    MrsKubley said:
    I used to work medical insurance and there was a Dr Richard Head, that's right Doctor Dick Head
    I hope he was a urologist.
  • Options
    MrsKubley said:
    I knew someone in college named Richard Head.  He went by Mickey.
  • Options
    I knew a girl who married a guy and his last name was Toot... I couldn't.
  • Options
    MrsKubley said:
    Neurologist actually!
  • Options
    I had a girl in high school named Candace Barr. She went be "Candy." 
    JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• Options
    Can I just say as a teacher it's not only challenging to spell unique names constantly, but think of how hard it will be on your kid to learn to spell their name!
  • Options
    I know a Candace "Candy" Cain.
    Married: May 2012
    DS1: May 2016
    DS2: Jan 2019
    Baby #3 EDD: 6/18/24

• Options
    I have a Stormiee Autumn-rain.  Sweet kid, but I feel bad for her when it comes time to send out resumes.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This isn't a given name, but I had a friend in high school that was named Kelly.. She married someone with the last name Kelley, and yes she took his name. 

• Options
    DH got a transfer student today named "Youneeq". So I guess a unique spelling for Unique? okkk
  • Options
    This name wasn't given to my friend, he chose to change to it and would never ever say what his birth name was. Obi Wan Kanobi. 

Funny thing is it really suited him!
    Angel baby June 2013, DD born 22 April 2014, BFP 10 Sept 2015 - Due 22 May 2016
  • Options
    Today at work I was preparing invoices to be mailed out, and noticed we have a customer named Candace Barr! I immediately wondered if she goes by "Candy"
  • Options
    One of my husband's friends just named his newborn son Jamison... I feel bad for the kid
  • Options
    One of my husband's friends just named his newborn son Jamison... I feel bad for the kid
    I actually know a few Jamison's 
  • Options
    Oh I have so many! But my favourite has got to be Tokyo Sexwale - who is a prominent figure and politician. 

But other than that, Gift, Whiteboi and Lucky is just some of the common names used in some cultures here :smile: 
  • Options
    I know a couple people with the same first and last names. Sharon Sheren and a Daniel Daniels (he actually dated a Danielle in college. Wouldn't that have been the strangest family? Daniel and Danielle Daniels). 

At work I use initials for clients/ students. We have several kiddos diagnosed with ADD who have the initials ADD, along with PBJ, BLT, ASS, and DUM.
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options

At work I use initials for clients/ students. We have several kiddos diagnosed with ADD who have the initials ADD, along with PBJ, BLT, ASS, and DUM.
    Yes! I've come across a few of these too-- double-checking what the initials may spell can be important. DH's are BRB which he finds funny, and of course, didn't mean anything when he was born, but the common abbreviations or three-letter words may be something to aim to avoid. :)
  • Options
    As an ER nurse, I really did take care of a patient named La-a. She did not say "the dash not be silent." She was annoyed when I guessed it to be Layla. 

Now I am an L&D nurse and the list is endless.
  • Options
    nbgmom said:
    As an ER nurse, I really did take care of a patient named La-a. She did not say "the dash not be silent." She was annoyed when I guessed it to be Layla. 
    I'm curious: I probably would have guessed Lay-ah as pronunciation-- do you happen to remember how she pronounced it?

Side note-- As a teacher, I tend to take the safe route when I meet new classes of students by assigning their seats on the first day alphabetically, and introducing myself to each one at the door so that they can introduce themselves and I can hear each one pronounce their own name before I have to say it. It helps me to learn their names in a day, and avoid hurt feelings by botching a name in case I have uncommon spellings.
  • Options
    I know a couple people with the same first and last names. Sharon Sheren and a Daniel Daniels (he actually dated a Danielle in college. Wouldn't that have been the strangest family? Daniel and Danielle Daniels). 

Precisely why I considered initials when we were naming LO.  DH's choice of middle name would have given LO the initials JAW, while mine would have given LO the initials JEW.  It's now JMW.  I have dog tags tattooed on my foot with my first and last name initials as well as DH's - but I couldn't put his last name because his initials spell LAW.  Just would have looked funny. 
  • Options
    bshurdy said:
    This isn't a given name, but I had a friend in high school that was named Kelly.. She married someone with the last name Kelley, and yes she took his name. 
    My sister's mother-in-law had the same situation! Her name is Judy (Judith) and she married a man with the last name of Judy. She was then Judy Judy!
    JCrew Blog

Big brother was born August 24, 2011.
    Little brother was born October 1, 2012.
    Brother #3 due 5/4/16; born 5/2/16.

• Options
    @bshurdy I married into a last name that can be a first name, and every time people ask me what the name is going to be I tell them I'm just going to double up and do the same name twice. It's a great way to divert the conversation away from actually talking about the name (and I secretly think it would be kind of cool but not sure my baby will think the same when grown up).
  • Options
    We are taking a class on infant care, and the teacher's name is Orly- which is actually a name I like, but now just makes me think of the "o rly?" meme. And if that's not enough....her last name is Cats. So we have "o rly? cats". Which is 90% of the Internet. 

This is amazing.
  • Options
    I'm probably guilty of being on here.

My last name is Hulsing.  We're team green but if this baby is a boy we're going with the name Van.  I'm a literary nerd so Van Hulsing fits.

For a girl it's Moxie.  I've gotten some weird looks from people that don't know me who ask what names we have chosen
  • Options
    kbrands7 said:
    nbgmom said:
    I'm curious: I probably would have guessed Lay-ah as pronunciation-- do you happen to remember how she pronounced it?

Side note-- As a teacher, I tend to take the safe route when I meet new classes of students by assigning their seats on the first day alphabetically, and introducing myself to each one at the door so that they can introduce themselves and I can hear each one pronounce their own name before I have to say it. It helps me to learn their names in a day, and avoid hurt feelings by botching a name in case I have uncommon spellings.
    Oh, it was "ladasha" but people always say that name doesn't exist because SSA doesn't accept a hyphen. I don't know how they submitted her name to SSA, only that the name on her bracelet and registration information was La-a and that she said her name was Ladasha.
  • Options
    So happy I'm having a girl!  My bf wanted to name our son Nash.... cute right?!?! But then you add the last name Nash.... Carr ha ha ha no! My son wanted to name a little boy gandalf lol o my.... but yay I got my girl and her name will be willow! ♡
  • Options
    So I'm watching Cupcake Wars, and there's a baker on here named Anomaly.

What. 

• Options
    Lurking from June... but my ex named his twins dartanion leoniadas and Xavier luscious Crocker. 
    As for the initials thing my son is going to be DAM. My step mom tells me they are gonna make fun of him for it.
  • Options
    No joke, a former coworker of mine had 2 boys and a girl.  Their names were Hennesey, Courvoisier, and Mary Jane. 
    yes, my baby is a zombie.

Anniversary

BabyFruit Ticker