May 2016 Moms
Options

Strangest baby/child names you have heard

I was chit-chatting with a friend about baby names and we got to talking about some of the weirdest ones we have ever come across.  Now I really like unusual or rare names but sometimes people go a step too far.... North West and Saint West anyone??

So what are some of the wackiest names you have heard or seen?

Re: Strangest baby/child names you have heard

• Options
    There's a great thread on the baby name board- over 1000 comments. If you need a chuckle browse through that. Some of these names are just sooo bizarre you have to wonder what the parents are thinking! 

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    TXmamatobeTXmamatobe member
    edited February 2016
    We knew a little girl names Dilda. Isn't that far of a stretch for some kid to start calling you dildo once you're older...I felt so bad for her. Also a boy named Harry Dong was in one of my college psych classes. I will never forget him based on name alone.  :#
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Kurrant said:
    So I've seen an honest to goodness Charlie Brown, which isn't too bad I suppose, and I've met a little girl named Fellony. That's really setting your kid up for a bright future...

The worst happened during an attendance role-call during summer camp maybe 10+ years ago. Calling out names and stumble upon a name that really just should not be said aloud in front of little 6-12 year olds.  
    "Um . . .  Williams?" No answer.  
    A bit louder "Is there a Miss or Mr Williams?!" Still no answer
    Giving up and just dealing with the wrath . . . these kids will be saying his or her name during summer anyways so here goes . . . 
    "Is there a Shithead Williams?"
    Little girl walks up and bobbles her head and says with as much sass you would expect from a 10 year old that has dealt with this her whole childhood "My name's pronounced Shy-theed" 
    Awwwww man!!!  My last name is Williams!!  I was TOTALLY going with...Shy-theed...but now that it's been DONE already I guess it's back to the drawing board....
  • Options
    I wish I was joking, but when I taught preschool, one year we had a set of boy/girl twins named M`ale and Fe`male. They went by their middle names though, which were fairly typical.
  • Options
    kbrands7 said:
    I wish I was joking, but when I taught preschool, one year we had a set of boy/girl twins named M`ale and Fe`male. They went by their middle names though, which were fairly typical.
    This is almost as bad as la-a

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I worked for a Harry Bush one summer. The worst part is he was a Jr.
  • Options
    yogahh said:
    kbrands7 said:
    This is almost as bad as la-a
    Seriously! The mom had major name regret and had chosen as she was coming out of anesthesia acording to her story. I definitely thought someone was just screwing with the roster and was glad I asked a coworker before talking to the mom directly.
  • Options
    DH has a student named "God's Gift" in his class this year, no joke. 
  • Options
    Also, not the worst names in the world, but I've had a lot of Destinys (of various spellings), Princesses, Diamonds, and similar word-names for girls lately (as in multiple per class)...alongside lots of Mikes and Chrises for boy names. Most of these students would have been born around 2001...it seems to be a year of an odd range of name trends in my area.
  • Options
    PYLWhammy said:
    please everyone read these before you share the name that you SWEAR you heard...

https://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
    https://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

Just to be clear I never swore to hear or know a la-a!

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    tgortneytgortney member
    edited February 2016
    Holden Cox

Kris Kyle Klutz

Hardon Yucum

Bright Light

all cringe worthy and legit first and last names

https://youtu.be/pCdmiZyyGjQ

Reminds me of this video :lol: 

• Options
    My 23 year old single gay male coworker said he likes the name Praxis for when he has a kid. I mean I guess Praxis is a legit word, but odd. And this coming from the same person who told me one of my name choices (Travis) is a "gay boy's name." 
  • Options
    PYLWhammy said:
    yogahh said:
    PYLWhammy said:
    please everyone read these before you share the name that you SWEAR you heard...

https://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.asp
    https://www.snopes.com/racial/language/le-a.asp

Just to be clear I never swore to hear or know a la-a!
    oh no, my post wasn't directed toward anyone in particular. Just a standard disclaimer before we start hearing that "my aunt's best friend knows twins named Lemonjello and Orangello!" :smile: 

Not sure I like Lemonjello, but Grapekoolaid is a pretty awesome name ;)

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    doozer1345doozer1345 member
    edited February 2016
    My friend in high school has a brother legitimately named Robin Hood.

ETA: When I worked in a jail booking dept we had 2 brothers (not making this up): Lemonjello and Oranjello
    Been married since 2009.
    Unicornuate Uterus (yes I menstruate glitter)
    Several MCs
    DD born 2013 (our miracle "you can't have babies" baby!)

• Options
    My cousin named her daughter Arhaya (pronounced like 'a ray o') Sunshine. #facepalm
  • Options
    Lurker from June '16- I graduated with Tommy Thomas Thompson and Rich Banker (his parents were straight up hippies)
  • Options
    My brother had a classmate named Country Muzac (last name pronounced like music) 
    Me: 31 | DH: 33
    DD: 05/14/16
    Baby #2 EDD: 12/23/19
  • Options
    I just thought of another one. I had a student a few years back (great kid, actually) whose last name was Tang. When his family came to America, he chose an American name: Harry. Freshman year, he went by Harry Tang...then switched back to using his Chinese given name as his first name until he graduated. It was a good choice to switch back. :)
  • Options
    I know a little Mexican-Asian mixed boy name Lancelot. They call him Lance but still...
  • Options
    My parents have a close friend named Manly Ho.
    This just reminded me... One of the guys at our overseas office is Dick Man. Immature me still
    laughs everytime I see his name.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I can not believe I didn't even think of this when I made this post . . . My ex husband's father's last name is Hoff. He was legally adopted by his step father so that he could take the last name Anderson. His first name was his mother's maiden name and got shortened to a nick name due to his unfortunate last name . . . His friend told me people called him Jack Hoff in school apparently.  Well . . . he is a bit of a jack off so I guess it fits! :D 
  • Options
    I worked as a daycare/preschool portrait photographer for a year and I saw all kinds of interesting names and name trends. Some reason I'm really blanking on examples, but one of my favorites was a little girl named Tuesday.
  • Options
    I graduated high school with Bud Weiser and I just came across the name La'shantaleesea at work the other day. One of my city's mayoral candidate is Moustafa Babatunda. 
  • Options
    I had a friend in high school whose name was Richard Hunter, which of course became Dick Hunter.....he ended up going by his middle name. 
  • Options
    My MIL overheard a woman call her daughter Pajama. (Pa-jah-ma) And her explanation was that she was going through the JCPenney catalog and saw it in there!
  • Options
    Lurker from June '16- I graduated with Tommy Thomas Thompson and Rich Banker (his parents were straight up hippies)
    I'm from Wisconsin and one of our governors in the 90's was Tommy Thompson....
  • Options
    I'm from Wisconsin and one of our governors in the 90's was Tommy Thompson....
    I grew up in SD and remember him!!!
  • Options
    In college I was a tutor and we had to keep a database of names of students that came in and for what teacher they were doing work for.  One week we noticed a repeat of the name Ferris Bueller.  We could seem to catch which student he was.  You did not have to request a tutor to use the center, you could walk in, sign-in and just study or use the computers to write a paper or whatever.  We were there is a student needed help.  This guy apparently was just walking in to either study or use the computer.  Eventually the director of the center found out who he was.  She thought he was typing Ferris Bueller as a joke.  Turns out that was his legal name.  He showed her his ID.  Funnily enough, he was born before the Ferris Bueller movie so he was not named after that.   This was a community college so there were students there of all ages.

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Options
    At my former job, I had a client named Velveeta. Yep, like the cheese!
  • Options
    One of my college landlords has a daughter named Calendar. My landlord also wore a fanny pack so she was just full of questionable life choices :)
  • Options
    kbrands7kbrands7 member
    edited February 2016
    Chappy_jr said:
    I completely respect the African-American tradition of creative names that have a great sound to them.  
    I cannot, however, support unique spellings and unnecessary use of contractions in more common names just to make them "unique".  

Yes! I agree with this! The trend of unique spellings just to be different  (which I've seen across the board with word names, created names, and traditional names) can create so much confusion. Ie your kid's name being Mackenziee doesn't make it more unique than Mckenzie...it just makes it more confusing. 
    Eta-- I feel like I should clarify that this opinion isn't limited to one race!