3rd Trimester
Options

2nd+ labor vs 1st

How different was your second labor and delivery compared to your first? I live 2 hours away from the hospital now, and I wasn't really that concerned until my OB said something about it. She said that since this was my second baby that she would most likely come a week or two earlier than my first did and in about half the time. Well, my first showed up at 39 weeks in about 9 hours of true labor. It's gotten me nervous about getting my son to my parents and getting to the hospital on time, without getting there ridiculously early.
May siggy challenge - Parenting Fails

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: 2nd+ labor vs 1st

• Options
    Both my first and second baby were born at 40 weeks and 5 days.
    DD1 was 7 hours of active labour
    DD2 was 2 hours of active labour.
    both had a gradual build up, although DD1 had a longer build up before things got active.

My mw did a stretch and sweep on me when I was 3 cm dilated and she was born 2 hours later. With my 3rd baby I also had a stretch and sweep done at 3cm and he was born 1 hr later, so it seems the stretch and sweeps really sped things along for me. I never had one with DD1.
    Elizabeth 5yrs old Jane 3yrs old

• Options
    Everyone is different. I was told by multiple friends - the second one is so much easier and faster! Wrong. DD was 16 hrs with 30 min of pushing. DS was 25 hrs, 3 hrs of pushing ending in a c-section. 

It's a roll of the dice every time. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    g8trkimg8trkim member
    edited February 2016
    Welp, I'm the special snowflake!
    1st labor - water broke at 39+2, no contractions for hours so started pitocin, 1 1/2 pushing, born 12 hours from water break
    2nd labor - water broke at 39+2, no contractions for a couple hours then progressed rapidly, 10 minutes pushing, born 6 hours from water break
    3rd - I am still pregnant and will be 41 weeks tomorrow, having contractions for well over a month, will likely be induced Saturday

• Options
    I had a scheduled c-section with my 2nd so I can't go by my own experience, but a close friend had her first 3 weeks early, 2nd was nearly 2 weeks late and third was almost exactly on time. She also had very fast labor for #1, almost gave birth in the car for #2 and #3 was a much longer labor and longer pushing. I think it totally depends on the kid!
  • Options
    My first came 10 days early and my 2nd came on his due date.  That was a long 10 days, I had myself convinced the 2nd would come at least as early as the first...big mistake.  Anyway, the labor being faster and easier was true for me, first was about 15 hrs from water breaking to delivery and 1.5 hrs of pushing.  DS2 was about 6 hours total and like 10 minutes of pushing.  They were the same size, so it was definitely just easier the 2nd time around for me.  My 3rd was very similar to the 2nd, but the contractions hurt WAY worse for some reason.  
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Both my labors lasted about the same length. Only difference was I pushed for about an hour with my first and only 15 min with my second. 
  • Options
    My first was born at 37.5, 14 hours after my water broke. Pushed for 2.5 hrs. My second was born at 37.3, 8 hours after my water broke and only pushed for an hour.
  • Options
    Lurking... 

1st was about 7hrs of labor (starting from when contractions were consistent and 5min apart), Dr broke water, pushed for about 15mins, tore horribly. 

My second and third were almost identical. Induced by Dr breaking my water,  pushed 2-3 times, no tearing. Start to finish about 2hrs.

All three boys were born at 38.5wks.
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    How different was your second labor and delivery compared to your first? I live 2 hours away from the hospital now, and I wasn't really that concerned until my OB said something about it. She said that since this was my second baby that she would most likely come a week or two earlier than my first did and in about half the time. Well, my first showed up at 39 weeks in about 9 hours of true labor. It's gotten me nervous about getting my son to my parents and getting to the hospital on time, without getting there ridiculously early.

Lurking, but I've heard the exact opposite on many occasions. My first was 4 days late. My second was 10 days late. I think it's odd that a doctor would make such a blanket statement - as it's definitely not a fact. I would just pay attention to your body as you get closer to your due date. That's about the only true indicator you can rely on. G/L!
  • Options

Yes, you should be nervous about this!!

I was induced with my first so that was easy (sort of - 17 hours of labor) but #2 came so damn quick I nearly had her in the car. I didn't even realize my contractions were real until they were 2 minutes apart. It happened in a matter of like 2 hours.

We were planning on taking my son to my mom's first but there was ZERO time for that. No time for an epidural, an IV, drugs, blood pressure check, nothing. DH dropped me off at the curb and I literally ran into the hospital. They took me up in the elevator where I had to start pushing because baby was coming and then right when I got in the room, I flipped on my hands and knees and pushed her out.

I had DD 30 minutes after I got to the hospital! It was terrifying and awful but kind of bad ass when I look back on it. The doctor was definitely right...second babies tend to come quickly.

• Options
    Ive heard second babies come quicker but not always earlier. I was induced with my first 2 days before my due date due to very low amniotic fluids but so far my fluids look great with this one and I plan on going as naturally as I possibly can. 
    This will be my first boy and I am getting a lot of "boys tend to be bigger" from family and friends. My DD was 8 pounds and I tore horribly so a big boy worries me...
  • Options
    Ive heard second babies come quicker but not always earlier. I was induced with my first 2 days before my due date due to very low amniotic fluids but so far my fluids look great with this one and I plan on going as naturally as I possibly can. 
    This will be my first boy and I am getting a lot of "boys tend to be bigger" from family and friends. My DD was 8 pounds and I tore horribly so a big boy worries me...

I was induced with my first at 39 weeks and my second came right on my due date. Both were 9 pounds - one boy and one girl. I tore with my first but had very minimal tearing with my second.
  • Options
    With DS #1 my water broke on its own at 38 weeks, was given pitocin to get labor moving. Baby was born 6 hours after the start of the pitocin and 15 hours after my watering breaking. 5lbs 9oz

DS #2 went into labor naturally at 39w 3D. Labor lasted 4 hours with baby arriving within an hour of midwife breaking my water. 8lbs 3oz

DS #3 went into labor at 38w 2d. Labor again lasted 4 hours with baby arriving within the hour of midwife breaking my water. 7 lbs 15oz

DS #4 went into labor at 38w 3d. Labor lasted 7 hours with baby arriving 1.5 hours after midwife broke my water. 8lbs 13oz

With my last 2 I was worried about my water breaking on its own and baby coming before we could get to the hospital, seeing how my babies come fast after having my water broke.