April 2016 Moms
Options

WTF Wed 2/10

2»

Re: WTF Wed 2/10

• Options
    @AEG84 I might cry.  That is crazy.

I have a bachelor's.  I am just shy of 40k a year.  The president's EA makes 75k but she has also been with the company 35+ so I don't hold that against her.  I have been offered similar jobs on the 60-70k range but my boss is awesome.  I can work from home when my kid is sick, and I get in on a lot of the company promos ect.  So I have a lot of perks but the pay is super annoying.  DH and I agreed I could dust off my resume if things don't turn around by this coming Dec.
  • Options
    cmjenkies said:
    CCLow87 said:
    cmjenkies said:
    @Ready4theParty holy guacamole, idk who these people are, but in what world is 100k a bonus:o
    Before I met/married my husband last summer, I would have said the same thing! lol He usually gets his salary for his bonus (which is significantly over 100K) and I'm just over here like "wha?!? What is this magical world?!?" (I grew up very blue collar) 

One thing I love about him though, is that he advocates for his employees to get great bonuses. This year is killing him because of oil prices (he's an oil executive) and everyone's bonuses are down. (Yes, even his) 
    This is insane (obviously awesome for those of you and your hard working husbands who are fortunate enough to be in such a situation). 100k is north of what DH and I pull in a year combined, so the thought of that as a bonus makes my brain hurt. I work in healthcare though, and a bonus for a therapist with 2 years experience is LOL worthy. Actually, any legit bonus in healthcare is laughable. I did get a new sweatshirt for Christmas so haaaaaaaay, the sorority girl in me loves free shirts! Haha
    This made me cry laughing! Loooooooove a good free shirt!!! I'm in health care too and our bonus is about a 1% cost of living increase each year. Womp womp. 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Bonus? What are those? Also, way to make me feel SUPER poor, ladies. Some of you make more alone than DH and I do together. Definately job hunting on maternity leave...

Anniversary

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    @Ready4theParty contact Fitbit! For real, I did a chat because my year old fit bit wasn't charging... Within twenty minutes, they were mailing me a new one..
    when I got it, I found out it was my charger that had died... Oops! 

Wtf work! I'm clearly sick (hacking, sneezing, Rudolph nose and no voice) and was trying to finish up a big project so I could take a sick day tomorrow ( I have an doctors appointment for tomorrow morning). Instead, boss doesn't have time to give final approval.. So I have to go in tomorrow to submit it. Argh! 
  • Options
    fbanke42 said:
    Bonus? What are those? Also, way to make me feel SUPER poor, ladies. Some of you make more alone than DH and I do together. Definately job hunting on maternity leave...
    Yeah I've never personally made more than 13k a year. Ever. This year I made around 10k... Thank God my fiancé makes decent money! (Still not as much as some of you are saying though >.>)
  • Options
    WTF to my friend/co-worker who just tendered her resignation on Monday and has decided to pick up and move across country presumably without plans for her future career or family. I initially advocated for her to get this job and get her hired from temp to perm.  Currently we are the midst of a major project transition which she was supposed to be the driver of so now all of that is in flux.  The person who will be picking up her responsibilities already has issues managing her time and I'm sure this will have major ripples for everyone involved.  I realize it's her decision but it bugs me when people make irresponsible financial choices (neither she or husband have job prospects) and they will lose insurance with 2 kids.  Sigh.  I'm also just annoyed because this ultimately means more work for me pre-maternity leave.
  • Options
    WTF slow drivers? Do you just not care if you ever get where you are going? I think most slow drivers must just think slowly or be highly distracted because I would get so bored driving that way I would fall asleep.
  • Options
    fbanke42 said:
    Yeah I've never personally made more than 13k a year. Ever. This year I made around 10k... Thank God my fiancé makes decent money! (Still not as much as some of you are saying though >.>)
    I make more than DH  :#

Anniversary

• Options
    fbanke42 said:
    fbanke42 said:
    Same here. We tell his kids this is part of the reason it's important to stay in school/go to college.
  • Options
    @Ready4theParty contact Fitbit! For real, I did a chat because my year old fit bit wasn't charging... Within twenty minutes, they were mailing me a new one..
    when I got it, I found out it was my charger that had died... Oops! 
    I did.  Their reps have asked I try more troubleshooting to see if it charged while I was at work and gave me a ten step plan to reset if it doesnt.  I'll email them back once I get home.  I've owned three of their devices and it is so sad that the newest one has poor battery life.  I hope they don't end up like bigger companies that don't seem to care of their product is faulty.
  • Options
    AEG84 said:
    fbanke42 said:
    fbanke42 said:
    Same here. We tell his kids this is part of the reason it's important to stay in school/go to college.
    Both of us have bachelors degrees and make terrible money  :D

His field is rather specialized and doesn't offer a lot of permanent full time work. He's hoping the contract job that he starts this month just turns into a permanent thing. That's as long as the studio has enough work coming in. Companies aren't necessarily making video games all year round.

My degree doesn't do much of anything... I want/need to go to graduate school. This BS in psychology isn't doing me any good right now.

I guess the moral of the story is don't just go to college and get a degree, but get a degree that isn't worthless on its own or in something that doesn't have a lot of full time opportunities. 

Anniversary

• Options
    @fbanke42 could you please have a talk with my DH? He's convinced he should get a degree in demonology. WTAF? Dream big, sweetie, but mama isn't staying in the army forever so you better have a practical degree or skill in the next three years because insurance will be your problem when I get out. 
  • Options
    @AmadorRose I'll smack some sense into him for you! That's just silly!

The worst part of DH's degree? You don't need a degree AT ALL to get into that field. You could teach yourself how to do 3D modeling and texturing for a fraction of what he paid for college. He also keeps talking about getting a Masters degree in Art. No. If anyone is getting their masters, it's me. I've considered seeing what the Air Force would do for me towards getting my masters, but DH isn't behind that idea at all.

Anniversary

• Options
    fbanke42 said:
    @AmadorRose I'll smack some sense into him for you! That's just silly!

The worst part of DH's degree? You don't need a degree AT ALL to get into that field. You could teach yourself how to do 3D modeling and texturing for a fraction of what he paid for college. He also keeps talking about getting a Masters degree in Art. No. If anyone is getting their masters, it's me. I've considered seeing what the Air Force would do for me towards getting my masters, but DH isn't behind that idea at all.
    Don't do it. Not with kids. I wish I had joined straight out of high school so I could've gotten my education, gotten out, and been more stable when I started having kids but as it stands, if I don't change units I'm going to miss my first kid's first birthday. The government really does own you as soon as you sign that line and while I don't regret enlisting, it's not the life I want for my family. When you're young and single it's a good paycheck, but the 24-hour duties, 12+ hour work days, and having no control of your own life just isn't worth it, for me. I'd take the debt 100%. 
  • Options
    @AmadorRose You're really making me question letting my husband get back in the AF.  :/
  • Options
    @AmadorRose DH would never let me do it, anyways. He's been the reason why I haven't looked into it at all. One of my old coworkers kept trying to tell me it was a great idea (he was in the Army for 8 years), but he was also young and single when he went in. 

Anniversary

• Options
    @RoseShadow873 at the risk of losing my feminism card, I really do think it's different for a man. They can only think about so many things at a time, but a woman thinks about everything, all the time. I'd be ok if DH deployed with the guard, probably because I'd focus on working and taking care of the kid. 

@fbanke42 I was single on a 9-month rotation to Korea and it was probably the most fun I've had in my entire life. I drank, smoked, and partied my ass off. Even I could shake my booty to some K-pop. I was usually still drunk at first formation and kicked ass at physical training anyway because when I sobered up after work, I went to the gym before I went back to my room to shower and start drinking again. The thought of doing that now makes me kind of nauseous. 
  • Options
    @AmadorRose I'm definitely not a party person. My version of a good time is usually staying home, watching anime, playing video games, and a bottle of wine. If they sent me to Japan, DH would be all over that. I'm not too keen on the idea of moving far away, so that's another problem. I like being close to family so that my kids will be able to see their grandparents all of the time. I only got to see one set of grandparents as a kid, and I know my mom's parents and step-parents feel like they missed out. I was originally thinking about seeing if I could become an officer in the Air Force, but there's no guarantee they'd make my focus area psychology. If anything, I would rather do contract work with the Air Force and do research on UAV pilots than actually join the Air Force.

Anniversary

• Options
    NOLA520 said:
    fbanke42 said:
    Both of us have bachelors degrees and make terrible money  :D

His field is rather specialized and doesn't offer a lot of permanent full time work. He's hoping the contract job that he starts this month just turns into a permanent thing. That's as long as the studio has enough work coming in. Companies aren't necessarily making video games all year round.

My degree doesn't do much of anything... I want/need to go to graduate school. This BS in psychology isn't doing me any good right now.

I guess the moral of the story is don't just go to college and get a degree, but get a degree that isn't worthless on its own or in something that doesn't have a lot of full time opportunities. 
    Cosigned, 
    B.A. in English (with a focus on literature, rather than something more useful like writing). 

Meh, I think it depends.  B.A. in Medieval European History here, and while it's not even remotely applicable to my current job (negotiating leases in the transportation industry) or any other job I'll ever hold down, if I had it to do over again I'd pick the same thing. I'd have spent 4 years miserable as a student in accounting or actuarial science, and it would have pigeonholed me into a career I'd hate.  Given how many white collar jobs these days demand a B.A. as a modern day equivalent of a high school diploma--just a minimum level of academic achievement, not as a source of practical knowledge--I'd rather have studied something I loved.  Then again, there's also a pretty decent abundance of jobs with similar requirements in my area, and I've never been under the illusion that I'd get a job in my field (at least, once I gave up on grad school). I might feel differently if I had a less obviously worthless degree, or if I lived somewhere with a tougher job market.
  • Options
    loveymayloveymay member
    edited February 2016
    I'mactually getting a bonus this year, but everyone is getting a bonus because our brewery won best brewery in North America. Us hourlies get a $2400 base bonus and overtime worked is calculated into it, so most people will get a lot more. I worked part the until getting on full time over the summer, somy bonus will be roughly $1200. II'm not complaining though, that's the most bonus I've ever received!

I worked in the microbiology department of a giant medical device company as a contractor for a year. The big wigs there pulled in $700k plus their bonuses which I'm sure where in the 6 digit range....and yet when the end of my contract neared there was a hiring freeze, so instead of hiring me on permanently and increasing my pay and giving me benefits, they just wanted to extend my contract. Um, no thanks! I will not continue working for pennies while my coworkers enjoy paid vacations, health insurance and retirement accounts. The company must have been hurting if they couldn't bring me on permanently but could still pay out everyone's annual bonuses! 

I love my job now anyway! I'll be retiring from this company . :)
  • Options
    My wtf goes out to my hormones. I went to the vending machine lastnight at work to gget a chocolate bar and a Dr pepper. Its not actually a vending machine, but just a huge selection of snacks, food, and drinks. There is a computer where you scan the items and pay. Anyway,the stupid computer wasn't working so  had to put my stuff back. I went to the bathroom and cried. Seriously hormones?? Lol
  • Options
    @AmadorRose You made me feel nostalgic. I lived in Seoul for a year when I was in my 20's. That was definitely a soju-fuelled party city. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    redselig said:
    @AmadorRose You made me feel nostalgic. I lived in Seoul for a year when I was in my 20's. That was definitely a soju-fuelled party city. 
    There were some underground bars in Ouijonbu that were my jam...it's fun when you get to know a bartender who only speaks about 20 words of English! I hated taking the train into Seoul but loved the city...all the shopping and food and booze! :love: 
  • Options
    emgee27 said:
    WTF maternity and disability paperwork. I hate you. But give me my leave, please. Also you suck, I hate paperwork.

I dropped the bar of soap like 7 times in the shower this morning. I feel whiny about it but I don't care. WTF, that's too many bend overs!
    I'm with you on the disability...ugh waiting period and paperwork processing. 
  • Options
    If I had to choose - wtf when I have a full tummy and baby kicks it hurts!'

otherwise no complaints! week 31 and feeling way better than previous weeks. Been taking iron tablets without fail and it's paying off!! even took hubby out on the town tonight. 
  • Options
    Late wtf because I got home late last night, hubby goes to do taxes, and we owe? What the hell, we both claimed 0, and we live paycheck to paycheck! How is this possible? And it's like 4000 combined which is more than we make in a month... not sure how this happened :( 
  • Options
    I know it's Thursday (and almost over), but I have one last WTF. WTF today? Did everyone have to be rude, cranky, and a jerk today? 

Anniversary

• Options
    redselig said:
    There were some underground bars in Ouijonbu that were my jam...it's fun when you get to know a bartender who only speaks about 20 words of English! I hated taking the train into Seoul but loved the city...all the shopping and food and booze! :love: 
    This bar in Hongdae was my regular watering hole :smiley: 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    The only bonus I got from work this year (I work at a school) was chicken pox for my daughter and the flu for me. #winning
  • Options
    redselig said:
    redselig said:
    This bar in Hongdae was my regular watering hole :smiley: 

Ahh I went there a couple of times! The Brooklyn Bar in Ouijongbu was my spot because it was only a ten-minute can ride from where I was stationed and we had a curfew and room checks :disappointed: 
  • Options
    Wtf I'm almost in week 32??? where is the time going!!!