May 2016 Moms
Options

Applying for a new job, due in May?

Would it be ridiculous of me to apply for a new job even if I'm due in May? 

I HATE my job now and I frequently skim job sites "just in case." Well today, I found a job I'd love to have, in my field (not currently working in my field), with triple the pay I'm making now. I really want to apply but I'm not sure if I'm crazy to think someone would hire me at this point in my pregnancy. I know they can't cite pregnancy as a reason not to hire someone, but let's be honest...

Anyway.. If I would apply and would get called for an interview, do you think it's best to inform them of my pregnancy before the interview? I'm obviously showing so it would be pretty evident when they met me for the first time. 

Re: Applying for a new job, due in May?

• Options
    This question has been asked so many times. I think the general consensus of the board is to go through the process and then wait until you get an offer to divulge anything. Obviously, as PP pointed out, it should be clear to them that you are pregnant at this point so it is on them.
  • Options
    Go for it! And good luck:) 

Your situation is a little different from other people who have posted on this question because you are beginning the application process later in your pregnancy and your job would begin later in pregnancy, so you cannot wait until they make an offer to disclose (or else it will make the interview process unnecessarily awkward).

If you apply and they like you, they will find out at the first in-person interview that you are pregnant and you should grab the bull by the horns and mention it and use that as an opportunity to say how you would be committed to the position anyway (what types of workarounds you would do, etc) and that you see a long term future with this company.

If there is a phone interview before that, then it's up to you--I'd hold off telling them until they meet you in person, and you can show them (rather than tell them) that you did not disclose earlier not just because you did not have to but because you do not think it will affect your job performance.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Go for it! And I say tell them the first time you meet in person. Have your speech ready how you know timing is not ideal but working for them would be such a great opportunity, you couldn't ignore it, your maternity leave would be a brief blip on the radar screen compared to the long and productive career you'd love to have at their company, etc. Good luck! My motto is you never know what can happen until you try!! 
  • Options
    You girls have given me AMAZING advice and ways to explain myself that I never thought of. Because of you I feel more confident so I applied to that one and two others. Thank you!
  • Options
    I am in exactly the same position.  I was laid off in December (awesome timing) and have applied for a couple of jobs since.  At this point I'm not holding my breath about getting anything before my LO arrives but it sure doesn't hurt to apply.  Good luck!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I'm in the same situation! Through a connection I found out about a job I would love and decided to learn more in a quick phone call with the hiring manager. I thought what the heck, they might not like me or vice versa and I won't have to worry about it. I have a interview on the phone Wednesday and they want to set up an in person meeting. I plan  to tell them on the phone, because they may need someone to start soon. The only problem is they are a small organization so I don't know if they will want to wait 6 months to have someone in the position. It wouldn't make sense to me to give up my benefits now to switch jobs and start over.  

I think you should always apply and do a first interview - you never know how flexible they may be! Good luck to you!