June 2016 Moms
Options

I would like to find a new doctor.

Has anyone decided to switch OB's? I'm just not happy with mine. Don't get me wrong she's very nice but conversations are awkward, she doesn't explain things very well, and it's not guaranteed that she would be my doctor for delivery it can be any doctor on call for the day/night. I would rather build a relationship with an OB who is more likely to be there at the birth and I can have an easier time talking to. So if you switched doctors did you tell your previous doctor you were doing so or did you just find another one and started seeing them?

Re: I would like to find a new doctor.

• Options
    When I moved when I was pregnant with my daughter I found a hospital I wanted to deliver at, then found a smaller practice that delivered there.
    Any of the providers at my office could deliver my baby, so I made sure to schedule appointments with all of them. It's pretty common to possibly not have your OB deliver your baby.
    If you like your office, maybe start scheduling appointments with other OBs in the office to get to know them since they may deliver your baby. And who knows, you may really like one of them.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm rotating through the peris as any of them could deliver me.  

You'll have to tell the old office if you switch so they can send records to the new office. 
    DS 9/2/13 was a BFP from an IUI!
    Triplets due 6/29/16 also from an IUI!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I actually had thought about switching and i called around to other doctors and you have to sign a release form so they can fax/mail your records to your new doctor and then they can schedule you. I said forget it. I didn't want to offend anyone and have them take their sweet time transferring my records over.. some places are just like that though. I only wanted to switch bc I'm always so sick and never actually get to see my doctor. Always the nurse who isn't very good at communication. But I understand where you are coming from. I guess it just depends on who you go to see but most doctors require to have your records if you have had previous prenatal care! Good luck :)
  • Options
    As previous posters said my practice makes it well known that you may not get your doctor for delivery. In order to better acquaint me with the other doctors, should one of them deliver our baby, they schedule my appointments with each dr in the practice, so every 4 weeks I've seen a different dr, and will see them each twice before our due date. Maybe you can try a similar approach with your practice to get more comfortable.
    TTM - EDD 4/23 - Team Green <3 
  • Options
    It's true that in most practices you aren't guaranteed any particular obstetrician, so switching between them so you can meet them all can be helpful. BUT, I always encourage anyone who is unhappy with their care to look into changing providers. If you find another provider you prefer, you will have to sign paperwork in order to have your files transferred, but likely this can be done via fax, or if not you really only need to speak to the front office staff. It's not necessary to have an actual breakup conversation with your current doctor.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I switched Drs, but stayed at the same clinic. I actually ended up getting scheduled with the new dr. I was looking to switch mine anyways and like the new one much more. But, I kinda wanna switch again, I really don't like the hospital they deliver at, it's dirty and old.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Ditto...I will rotate to all of the OB's at my practice again and any of them could be on call. I don't mind because the OB that delivered DS played such a small role in everything...she basically showed up to push for 15 minutes and was gone. She was great, but the nurses and staff were who I spent most of my time with.
  • Options
    Has anyone decided to switch OB's? I'm just not happy with mine. Don't get me wrong she's very nice but conversations are awkward, she doesn't explain things very well, and it's not guaranteed that she would be my doctor for delivery it can be any doctor on call for the day/night. I would rather build a relationship with an OB who is more likely to be there at the birth and I can have an easier time talking to. So if you switched doctors did you tell your previous doctor you were doing so or did you just find another one and started seeing them?
    Some of this is not realistic. Yes, if you don't like her personality and you don't mesh with her, than definitely switch if you want. But if you want a doctor that will see you at your appointments and be there for your birth, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed. 

My OB I see at every appointment. I don't see any other doctors for my routine appointments. If she were on call for every patient who was in labor, she likely would have to reschedule routine checkups all the time.  Though I'm a FTM, I'm pretty sure once I"m in labor, I won't care who delivers my baby. From what I have heard, the OB is barely there it's mostly the nurses.residents that take care of you until you are ready to deliver. Would I prefer my OB, sure, but I"m not going to worry about it. The practice I go to only has two doctors, but the hospital that I will deliver at has many OBs affiliated with it. They're split into groups, and each has a day they are on call and then they have their clinic days, and then they rotate weekends. 

• Options
    My doctor or midwife has never been at the birth of either of my kids. Honestly I didn't care that much, it's mostly the nurses for delivery. If you aren't comfortable with your OB its fine to change, but I wouldn't focus on delivery as a reason.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Like PPs said, there's a good chance your OB won't be there- she could have another patient in labor, vacation, whatever. I'm lucky, the practice I go to is all women and throughout the pregnancy they purposefully schedule you with different OBs each time so that I will have at least met with them before delivery.
  • Options
    It makes sense that most practices operate that way I just wish they gave me the option to get to schedule with the other doctors in the practice so basically a total stranger who doesn't know me or what I want doesn't show up at the birth. I will see if I can meet with the other doctors and I am writing a birth plan so hopefully that will all ease my mind.
  • Options
    I think *most* practices will start rotating you in the last trimester so you can meet them all at least once. That's what both of my last 2 did. I've had 3 births and my OB hasn't been there for a single one. It literally was nurses and then the OB caught the baby...I'm pretty sure one went to his office and slept...
  • Options
    I am switching now, I didn't tell them anything. I just signed my release paperwork and had the new place fax it over. The receptionist didn't even ask any questions when I called to check on the my record being sent to another doctor. 

I didn't like the organization or professionalism of the old place. Not to mention it's through a tunnel (meaning lots of traffic) and the hospital I had to go to for all the big things was even further away, about 30 minutes. I got tired of driving that far when I have clinics 5 minutes away and the hospital 10 minutes away. 

i agree, I too don't like the rotational doctor thing, but most places don't allow you to just see one OB the whole pregnancy. I just chose a smaller place, that way, at least I may only see two people versus maybe 7 different physicians throughout my pregnancy. 
  • Options
    My experience is slightly different, but I did have to change doctors! I switched to my husband's insurance for this year, and switched from a doctor near work (for convenience) to a doctor at the hospital I wish to give birth at. They made it easy on me when I said that the hospital they deliver at didn't take my insurance, and faxed over my records to the new doctor the same day I requested it. It's important to be comfortable with whoever you choose - and yes, you may offend someone, but that will pass when you hold your baby in your arms!