So baby Beckham is 3 days old now and I feel like it's been nothing but scariness since we've been home.
We left the hospital when he was a little over 24 hours. His bilirubin level was at a 12.8, and the pediatrician in the hospital only agreed to discharge if we saw baby's doctor the next day. So we went, and she sent us over to get lab work. Called us back and said it was at a 12.1 and she wanted to see him the next day (today). Well she wasn't able to come in, so we saw another doctor, who said "Well since I didn't see him yesterday it's hard to tell you if it's better." Ok thank you. Anyways. Sent us back to the hospital for labs. Turns out my son clots fast and they didn't want to prick his foot again. They tried drawing from a nonexistent vein on each arm and had no success (obviously). They said the wanted to send us down to peds since they're more experienced with drawing blood from infants. Waited forever just to be told that they weren't accepting outpatients. So they called in "their best" to get the foot prick done again. Now we're back to waiting.
I made the mistake of asking what the worst thing that can happen from jaundice and wasn't soothed with the point blank "brain damage" answer. And then they tell me they're worried because he had such a high level at a day old, and jaundice doesn't kick into full gear until day 5.
I didn't think it was that bad just looking at him but all these doctors are stressing me out. But if it was that worrisome then why not admit us, get him under the lights, and it could be less of a process.
FTM here - if anyone has a similar experience or knowledge and wants to share?