January 2016 Moms

Jaundice

So baby Beckham is 3 days old now and I feel like it's been nothing but scariness since we've been home.

We left the hospital when he was a little over 24 hours. His bilirubin level was at a 12.8, and the pediatrician in the hospital only agreed to discharge if we saw baby's doctor the next day. So we went, and she sent us over to get lab work. Called us back and said it was at a 12.1 and she wanted to see him the next day (today). Well she wasn't able to come in, so we saw another doctor, who said "Well since I didn't see him yesterday it's hard to tell you if it's better." Ok thank you. Anyways. Sent us back to the hospital for labs. Turns out my son clots fast and they didn't want to prick his foot again. They tried drawing from a nonexistent vein on each arm and had no success (obviously). They said the wanted to send us down to peds since they're more experienced with drawing blood from infants. Waited forever just to be told that they weren't accepting outpatients. So they called in "their best" to get the foot prick done again. Now we're back to waiting.

I made the mistake of asking what the worst thing that can happen from jaundice and wasn't soothed with the point blank "brain damage" answer. And then they tell me they're worried because he had such a high level at a day old, and jaundice doesn't kick into full gear until day 5.

I didn't think it was that bad just looking at him but all these doctors are stressing me out. But if it was that worrisome then why not admit us, get him under the lights, and it could be less of a process.

FTM here - if anyone has a similar experience or knowledge and wants to share?

Re: Jaundice

• kqualls5 said:

So baby Beckham is 3 days old now and I feel like it's been nothing but scariness since we've been home.

We left the hospital when he was a little over 24 hours. His bilirubin level was at a 12.8, and the pediatrician in the hospital only agreed to discharge if we saw baby's doctor the next day. So we went, and she sent us over to get lab work. Called us back and said it was at a 12.1 and she wanted to see him the next day (today). Well she wasn't able to come in, so we saw another doctor, who said "Well since I didn't see him yesterday it's hard to tell you if it's better." Ok thank you. Anyways. Sent us back to the hospital for labs. Turns out my son clots fast and they didn't want to prick his foot again. They tried drawing from a nonexistent vein on each arm and had no success (obviously). They said the wanted to send us down to peds since they're more experienced with drawing blood from infants. Waited forever just to be told that they weren't accepting outpatients. So they called in "their best" to get the foot prick done again. Now we're back to waiting.

I made the mistake of asking what the worst thing that can happen from jaundice and wasn't soothed with the point blank "brain damage" answer. And then they tell me they're worried because he had such a high level at a day old, and jaundice doesn't kick into full gear until day 5.

I didn't think it was that bad just looking at him but all these doctors are stressing me out. But if it was that worrisome then why not admit us, get him under the lights, and it could be less of a process.

FTM here - if anyone has a similar experience or knowledge and wants to share?

That is confusing if they're so concerned why haven't they put him under the light? With my daughter she had to sit under the light and we also were sent a billy blanket to keep her wrapped in. We had to go to the hospital every day for a week to get foot pricks and check her levels. I was very stressed because I felt the communication we were given was "well you need to feed her and keep her under the light" as if I was let doing those things. I think the hardest part is it just takes time since they poop it out of their system :( I for one would be calling your doctor and asking if baby needs to be under the light or have the blanket to take home.
  • My LO is 5 days old today. We were released from the hospital at 12.8 Bili levels with instructions to get him tested everyday. The next day it was 10.1 and today was 3.8. So long as the levels go down, your LO should be in the clear. Make sure he's pooping and sit him by a window with the shade up since sunlight helps brings down levels. Every time he pooped in the hospital the nurses literally cheared :) I was also told the "dangerous" levels are 18+. Good luck and I'm sure everything will be fine for you all!
  • Loading the player...
  • @Achae exactly! It's like one second they're scaring the crap out of me & the next they are brushing it off. I realize they see tons of kids a day, but this little guy is my whole world and everything they say to me loops in my brain all day & night.

But he's pooping & peeing like a champ, so hopefully we're headed up from here! @012016 so glad you guys are beating it! Jaundice is so commonly talked about, I never thought it would stress me out so bad.
  • @kqualls5 I didn't know about the brain damage either until I asked. Talk about stress! We were getting concerned that LO's levels weren't coming down quick enough and then literally overnight they dropped. Hopefully the same happens for you :)
  • kqualls5 said:

@Achae exactly! It's like one second they're scaring the crap out of me & the next they are brushing it off. I realize they see tons of kids a day, but this little guy is my whole world and everything they say to me loops in my brain all day & night.

But he's pooping & peeing like a champ, so hopefully we're headed up from here! @012016 so glad you guys are beating it! Jaundice is so commonly talked about, I never thought it would stress me out so bad.

There were many a car ride after they called with lab results because I had no idea what number they wanted before we could stop with the blanket and daily hospital trips! Luckily my DH was my rock and we were able to take her off the blanket after a week but it was sure scary! For my second baby he's already two lb heavier than our first so I'm hoping his weight will help keep him in the clear!
  • I just gave birth to my 1st child (baby girl) 2 weeks ago and was told on day of discharge 3 days after delivery that baby had minor case of jaundice.

They wanted to see her on monday for blood test and her bilrubin levels were a 2.14 then 2 days later they were 2.12.

1st appt male nurse taking blood wasn't experienced and when he kept squeezin my babys foot she cried then a female nurse comes in and blames us for not feeding baby milk because if we did she'd have more blood comin out.

I'm like lady she drank twice a few hours ago. Nurse on 2nd appt got blood out in like 2 mins. My baby is in all clear but i still can't believe they are trying to draw blood from veins etc. I hope theyvarrn't using a needle...

Dr wants to be sure levels are going down and if i'm not mistaken, if they don't go doen don't they put baby under the uv lamp? But i think baby gets temporarily admitted to hospital then
  • kwentelakwentela member
    edited January 2016
    My DS was born at exactly 37 weeks so he was already at a slightly higher risk for jaundice. I don't remember his level from the day we discharged but I think it was 11 or 12, we did daily labs at the clinic, 1st day home we were in the 15 range so they were concerned but just wanted to see what it was the next day. Next day he went up to 17.7, so we got a Bili blanket, then it finally started going down to 17.5 then trended down. If the level had gone up any more we would have had to be admitted to the hospital for the lights and IV hydration. So we had a Bili blanket at home with us for I think 4 days total. I'm betting they are waiting for you just because they literally need the right lab levels to justify using Bili lights and there are clear guidelines they follow depending on how many hours old they are and what their Bilirubin level is. Darn kiddos and their immature livers causing jaundice, my DS had the typical newborn jaundice that requires Bili lights but now he additionally has breast milk jaundice which is literally caused by an enzyme in breast milk and can take up to 12 weeks to go away :( he isn't on a Bili blanket anymore we just have to make sure he's eating, pooping, peeing and well hydrated until it goes away. Poor kiddo
  • My LO had high levels 24 hours after birth, I think it was a 10. She went to the NICU to be under the lights. She stayed them for roughly 18 hours. They checked her again and it was an8. They let us take her home with the promise to return the next day for another check. We did and she was down again, so they cleared us.

I also asked what the effects would be, and was given the scary 'brain damage' answer, but told that that only happened if the levels got to 30. They said the reason a 10 was a sign of concern is it went too high too quickly, and if it continued on that path it could get to 30. They also said it can take up to 7 days for a newborn's liver to start working to filter the bilirubin out.

The bet thing, other than the lights, was eating and pooping. Kept it up mama, you'll get through this!
    Me: 32 DH: 32
    Married 11/24/13
    DD1 born 12/24/15
    TTC #2 Aug. 16
    BFP for #2 11/22/16

Aug17 December Siggy Challenge: Funny Pics of Kids Afraid of Santa