March 2016 Moms

Owlet monitor ??

amyidamyid member
edited January 2016 in March 2016 Moms
Has anyone heard of, seen... Researched... Or even better, bought ... The owlet care monitor ? It's an interesting concept and is a little booty that baby wears to monitor oxygen levels when they are sleeping in their crib.. apparently it alerts parents of oxygen levels drop too low helping to avoid cot death etc ... They are pretty pricey at $249 but the peice of mind they would bring especially to worrying FTMs makes me want to know more

Re: Owlet monitor ??

• I have been debating whether or not to take the plunge and order it. I really like the idea, it seems extremely good and better than the angel care monitor someone gave us...
  • I looked into it but apparently the base has to be in the same room as the sock. If you're planning on having LO in a nursery not in your room it may not be beneficial. I wanted one because our nursery is on the 2nd floor and master is on the 1st... until I found out about the base issue. You can still get vitals on the iPhone but the base is what alerts you. If you will be in the same room it sounds like a good idea? I just couldn't stomach the $249 knowing I would not be able to use it well. 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Loading the player...
  • I have asked the Dr. I work for (internal medicine but I trust him for baby questions) He says they give new parents a false sense of security. Everything could look fine on the owlet and other things could be wrong. He said physically checking on the baby is much more reliable and free.
  • I would probably consider it if I had a premie or a newborn with other health issues. However, it is pretty new technology and expensive so I wouldn't purchase it for a healthy newborn. This is the first time I'm even going to have a video monitor and I feel like that was a splurge!
  • How about the snuza as a less expensive alternative?  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002WLGV08/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=1944687642&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B008OJ7C6Y&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0KZ60MNVTYA1HMRTMGVT
    We have the angle care monitor but DS3 had bad reflux and had to sleep in a rock n play or a swing for a long, long time so I bought the snuza.  I was very happy with it.  Let me know if you have any specific questions about it. 
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My SIL just got this for their week old. They used it one night. Not sure why they stopped, but it's already a sign to me that it's not the greatest thing since sliced bread.  You'd keep using it if it was fabulous right??? Waiting for further review.
  • Please keep us updated! I was really hoping for good reviews, thinking it was the only way I'd sleep when I can get sleep! 
  • :smile: 
    you'll likely be so exhausted, you'll sleep just fine.   I also fanatically checked for breathing. Still check my two year old! It's just part of being a mum. Gradually you learn to relax (hopefully).

I'll let you know when I get more feedback on it. 
  • reposting from another thread here where i copy/pasted a mama's review from one of my fb groups

skruhmin said:
    Has anyone seen the Owlet Monitor advertised on Facebook? I'm kind of at odds here - it seems like an awesome technology but in the back of my mind I'm thinking two of my kids were fine without any monitors like this.  What say you BTDT moms?  Am I being dumb by not buying this?
    i want one *SO* badly, but they are pricey! all three of my kids have had so many apnic episodes as infants though (the most recent one had them frequently and the middle one had a critical episode). it seems like it is a lot better than the snuza. and if baby comes early for some reason idc how much they are i am buying one. in one of my fb groups a mama reviewed hers (with photos) and convinced me even more. and i imagine it could be consigned once we were done with it. 
    ... i will see if i can c/p her review here ...

Ok I have this device. Bare with me I'll write a little review as I do my midnight pump
    So the owlet is a little device that your baby wears on their foot. It monitors the babies heart rate and oxygen levels as they sleep. 

It is completely useless when they are awake as it will not monitor if they are moving. My attitude towards this is that if baby is awake and moving she is alive. However I do use a snuzza monitor during these times. 

Equally it won't work well in a swing either.

So this is purely a sleep monitor for deep sleeping times to give you ease at night

The device is really easy to set up. But it's a slight learning curve to get the sock just right. So practice in the day. Not just before you go to bed. But once you got it. It's really easy. If the sock falls off the base station will turn yellow and play a tune to let you know. This is an awesome feature. Since you won't get ffrightened thinking your baby is in trouble, you know it's just the sock 

Also if the base station losses connection with the sock for any reason it will also llet you know by glowing blue and also singing (this usually happens if the sock is to far from the device)

Currently there is only an app for Apple devices, you don't need an app at all, but wwithout it you don't see the numbers. Also in a event the alarm goes off you won't know why. (You won't know if the heart rate detected was to high or low or if it was oxygen ) this is a big con for me, but I was lucky my father in law had an old iPhone he wasn't using. 

Also you can get false alarms if you stay with stage 1 sock to long. You want to go to stage 2 sock as soon as it fits .

As a monitor it works amazing. I definitely trust it to watch over my sleeping baby. It also acts as a comforting night light, I watch it glow knowing my baby is okay. I don't have to accidently wake her to check if she is breathing. 

It seems very accurate and definitely provides its services to help me sleep knowing she's being watched. 

The biggest fail points is that it won't even attempt to monitor if she's awake and moving, which for the price I feel is an issue. 

It's also not a portable device in the sense the base station needs to be in the same room as the baby and the sock (the phone with the app can move around though)

The alarm is very distinct and loud. You really cannot miss it. I do like that user error alarms (out of range or sock falling off ) are different alarms. This saves you having a heart attack. 

This device is purely for bed time, 

I love it. For me after Luna had bradycardia episodes in nicu it gave me peace of mind and allowed me to sleep. And I don't think you can put a price on sleep. 

Their customer service is amazing. Hands down. I've had to talk to them twice. 

This device can leave small pressure marks on the feet, they are harmless, but I just wanted to make you aware 

Otherwise yea. For providing you peace of mind when you are deep sleeping it definitely works.

If you want a monitor for when your baby is awake and moving then this isn't really for you. Get a snuzza and turn the tick option on and judge from that (I use snuzza during the day or if she is in the swing)
    The base station at night. It gently glows in and out to show it is both monitoring . You can dim this light but I find it comforting 
    Gwen Posts photo
    Green is good
    The app
    Gwen Posts photo
    Gwen Posts photo
    Yellow means sock is off. It will also alert you by playing a tune
    Blue means it's lost connection with the sock. It will also play a tune
    Red means something is wrong and a loud ringing will sound. You can check your phone to see why it was ringing (or any other apple device with ios8 or highere
    Red means something is wrong and a loud ringing will sound. You can check your phone to see why it was ringing (or any other apple device with ios8 or higher
    This is how the app let's you knw what's going on. This is when Luna was sick and her heart rate had gone up to over 220. So it definitely did it's job
    Gwen Posts photo

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • and here is another thread where apnea monitors are discussed
    https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/comment/88304413#Comment_88304413

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • lexijoslexijos member
    I have the owlet and have been using it on my preemie for 11 months now and I love it. I love the peace of mind that it has brought both my husband and myself and I most definitely think that it is worth every penny. The owlet has most definitely been my most favorite baby product that I have ever purchased. I love that it monitors my baby's heart rate and oxygen levels while she is sleeping and will alert me if there is a problem. I also love owlet's app that lets me check on my baby's vitals when I am not home with her and it will also alert me if there is a problem. I highly recommend the owlet to everyone, it is awesome!
  • I have the owlet and it's been a huge comfort to me. Our son stopped breathing his second night home from the hospital (was later diagnosed with reflux) and I couldn't sleep because i wanted (needed) to watch him constantly. I took shifts with my husband and was averaging about 4 hours sleep a day. It was horrible. We ordered one as soon as possible and it's been amazing. To respond to a few things above:

It is true that the base has to be in the same room as the sock. We currently have LO in with us so that's not a problem. However the alert is LOUD. I can hear it from the kitchen (which is far away from my room). The iphone app also alerts you if there is an issue. When we move LO to his room (which is on another floor) I have no doubt we'd hear it. And you can test the alerts to see for yourself how loud it is. If for any reason you are concerned about hearing it you could always use a traditional inexpensive audio monitor to boost the alert volume. 

With regards to the false sense of security comment from the pediatrician. On one hand I agree, visually checking is best. However you can't monitor them 100% of the time when they are sleeping. My son stopped breathing IN MY ARMS. The owlet is there to give you peace of mind when you need rest too. 

For us it's been 100% worth it. 
    BabyFruit Ticker