March 2016 Moms
Options

Apnea monitotors

Im currently 7 minths pregnant and am having a boy! Does anyone here use an apnea monitor simply for the peace of mind? SIDS has run in my family but only with boys, and although one scenario may have been prevented (SIDS may have occurred because of co-sleeping) it's still a huge fear. My mother has the fear more than I do because I've done my research and read it can't really be something you can stop from happening rather than just trying to prevent. She is so adamant about the monitor but I feel it will just cause more anxiety rather than help anything.Also my LO's pediatrician said he will not give me one simply because the reason I stated with it being more anxiety rather than a baby saver. Any thoughts are appreciated! Even though my mother probably won't sleep until her grandchild is hooked up to one. Thanks

Re: Apnea monitotors

• Options
    I have not used an apnea monitor, but I did use a video monitor which provided peace of mind for me. I was very nervous about leaving my first alone when he was first home, and SIDS is terrifying. Perhaps you can compromise and get an Owlet or video monitor?

I'm sorry that you have so many instances of SIDS in your family. One thing that may calm your Mom is to find an article listing the factors that increase risk in babies, and illustrate that your child doesn't have those risk factors (assuming he doesn't). It may put her mind at ease. Also, reading up on safety precautions for sleeping babies will help you feel empowered, and give you a way to channel your worries.

Good luck.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I have heard good things about the snuza hero monitor. We registered for one and are hoping to use it to ease my nerves.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We used the Angel Care monitor. I know it gets a lot of bad reviews for false alarms but we didn't have any until he was 8 or 9 months old and started rolling all over the crib. I have bad anxiety and it has been life changing for me!
  • Options
    We used the Angel Care monitor. I know it gets a lot of bad reviews for false alarms but we didn't have any until he was 8 or 9 months old and started rolling all over the crib. I have bad anxiety and it has been life changing for me!
    We also used the Angel Care monitor and I loved it. We did have some false alarms when she started wiggling around but we soon figured out how to make the sensor pad more sensitive.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    We had a medical grade apnea monitor with my daughter because she had issues after birth. While it was great, she was allergic to the stick on monitors (both latex and nonlatex) and whenever the velcro strap would move wrong or slip it would alarm as if she had stopped breathing. Caused many many false alarm heart attacks mid night but Def better safe than sorry. I've been looking into the non medical ones but I am still back and fourth. Didn't use one for my second child and was okay but idk we will see!
  • Options
    I really would love to get an owlet monitor for this baby. My three babies so far have all had apnea issues as infants (which is why we cosleep with them – one of them would not be here today if I hadn't been sleeping with her and noticed her stop breathing. We had to do CPR). One of my mom friends has a snuza *and* an owlet and she wrote a great review about the owlet. I posted it in another thread here; I'll see if I can search it and link it for you.

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    oceanchildoceanchild member
    edited January 2016
    In case my copy/paste doesn't work, it's on page 291 of the "random" thread. I'm mobile, so I can't link it.

skruhmin said:
    Has anyone seen the Owlet Monitor advertised on Facebook? I'm kind of at odds here - it seems like an awesome technology but in the back of my mind I'm thinking two of my kids were fine without any monitors like this.  What say you BTDT moms?  Am I being dumb by not buying this?
    i want one *SO* badly, but they are pricey! all three of my kids have had so many apnic episodes as infants though (the most recent one had them frequently and the middle one had a critical episode). it seems like it is a lot better than the snuza. and if baby comes early for some reason idc how much they are i am buying one. in one of my fb groups a mama reviewed hers (with photos) and convinced me even more. and i imagine it could be consigned once we were done with it. 
    ... i will see if i can c/p her review here ...

Ok I have this device. Bare with me I'll write a little review as I do my midnight pump
    So the owlet is a little device that your baby wears on their foot. It monitors the babies heart rate and oxygen levels as they sleep. 

It is completely useless when they are awake as it will not monitor if they are moving. My attitude towards this is that if baby is awake and moving she is alive. However I do use a snuzza monitor during these times. 

Equally it won't work well in a swing either.

So this is purely a sleep monitor for deep sleeping times to give you ease at night

The device is really easy to set up. But it's a slight learning curve to get the sock just right. So practice in the day. Not just before you go to bed. But once you got it. It's really easy. If the sock falls off the base station will turn yellow and play a tune to let you know. This is an awesome feature. Since you won't get ffrightened thinking your baby is in trouble, you know it's just the sock 

Also if the base station losses connection with the sock for any reason it will also llet you know by glowing blue and also singing (this usually happens if the sock is to far from the device)

Currently there is only an app for Apple devices, you don't need an app at all, but wwithout it you don't see the numbers. Also in a event the alarm goes off you won't know why. (You won't know if the heart rate detected was to high or low or if it was oxygen ) this is a big con for me, but I was lucky my father in law had an old iPhone he wasn't using. 

Also you can get false alarms if you stay with stage 1 sock to long. You want to go to stage 2 sock as soon as it fits .

As a monitor it works amazing. I definitely trust it to watch over my sleeping baby. It also acts as a comforting night light, I watch it glow knowing my baby is okay. I don't have to accidently wake her to check if she is breathing. 

It seems very accurate and definitely provides its services to help me sleep knowing she's being watched. 

The biggest fail points is that it won't even attempt to monitor if she's awake and moving, which for the price I feel is an issue. 

It's also not a portable device in the sense the base station needs to be in the same room as the baby and the sock (the phone with the app can move around though)

The alarm is very distinct and loud. You really cannot miss it. I do like that user error alarms (out of range or sock falling off ) are different alarms. This saves you having a heart attack. 

This device is purely for bed time, 

I love it. For me after Luna had bradycardia episodes in nicu it gave me peace of mind and allowed me to sleep. And I don't think you can put a price on sleep. 

Their customer service is amazing. Hands down. I've had to talk to them twice. 

This device can leave small pressure marks on the feet, they are harmless, but I just wanted to make you aware 

Otherwise yea. For providing you peace of mind when you are deep sleeping it definitely works.

If you want a monitor for when your baby is awake and moving then this isn't really for you. Get a snuzza and turn the tick option on and judge from that (I use snuzza during the day or if she is in the swing)
    The base station at night. It gently glows in and out to show it is both monitoring . You can dim this light but I find it comforting 
    Gwen Posts photo
    Green is good
    The app
    Gwen Posts photo
    Gwen Posts photo
    Yellow means sock is off. It will also alert you by playing a tune
    Blue means it's lost connection with the sock. It will also play a tune
    Red means something is wrong and a loud ringing will sound. You can check your phone to see why it was ringing (or any other apple device with ios8 or highere
    Red means something is wrong and a loud ringing will sound. You can check your phone to see why it was ringing (or any other apple device with ios8 or higher
    This is how the app let's you knw what's going on. This is when Luna was sick and her heart rate had gone up to over 220. So it definitely did it's job
    Gwen Posts photo

March 2016 siggy: babies - expectation vs reality

Brian's Whovian wife (5/'09) 
    AP, BF, BW, CD, CLW, CS, ERF, Catholic mama 
    to Evan (7/'10), Clare (8/'11), Dean (3/'14), ^F(12/'15)^, Rose (3/'16)
    *no longer a Timelord ~ WibblyWobbly BabyWaby is here!*
    <3 but i still feel bigger on the inside <3
     Autism mama! 
  • Options
    I want to get one of these. A friend of mine recommended getting some sort of monitor that alerts you if baby stops breathing. Her daughter had a respiratory infection and apparently stopped breathing one night, and the monitor went off, allowing them to go in and get her breathing again (2 nurses for parents, go figure).