May 2016 Moms
Options

Fellow working pregnant mommas.

2»

Re: Fellow working pregnant mommas.

• Options
    So far the biggest thing to affect my work performance is the pregnancy brain. I test software for a living so I don't have to be very active, but I have trouble remembering things I saw and how to reproduce them, so I find myself having to record my screen actions and write down everything I am doing because my short-term memory is shot.

Last week I set up a complicated test to run over the weekend so that I could check the results on Monday, and when Monday rolled around I couldn't remember the login credentials for the test user I created. 
    I've had this difficulty too, though in a different way. As an English teacher, I do a lot of editing, and my attention to (verbal) detail has suffered-- I'm great at noticing things in action, but not as quick to notice things in writing anymore which makes grading and offering feedback more cumbersome. I've also forgotten logins. For a week after the birth of my son, I couldn't remember the login for my work email account; then, one day I remembered it in the middle of the night.
  • Options
    Oh man my brain is just totally gone! When you're a teacher, that's not a good thing! I let my kids know. That way they can help me remember!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Although my job is not as physically taxing as some mentioned here (I work in HR for the city of New York) I wake up at 6am Monday through Friday, am out of the house by 7am, and have to deal with the NYC subways which are a complete nightmare! Besides the million stairs I have to climb, the awful smells on the train, and the fact that it's at least 80 degrees on these trains everyday, people in general are just so damn obnoxious! I am 27 weeks and one would have to be blind in order to not notice I am pregnant- however, people still continue to sit on me, run past me practically knocking me down to get a seat and never offer up their seats. It's disgusting really how rude people are. I am due May 1, and I plan to work as long as I could because the city does not offer paid leave- you can only utilize the saved vacation time you currently have and then you're on your own- but the commute is what's really kicking my ass and I don't know if I will be comfortable traveling on the subway at 9 months! Lol
    This is all so awful. I've got nothing helpful to say, just--poor subway etiquette *and* no paid leave despite a government salary (where I live, city government jobs pay a pittance but have excellent benefits)?

I'm so sorry.

@JoMunson I feel super un-professional, too! I'm so tired, my willpower to do all the things I hate doing (can you say grading?) is nil and I keep procrastinating on it until I can't any more.  AND I cried in class!  A student was telling a story (from a movie, not even a real-life scenario!) and it was just so sad I started tearing up and couldn't talk for thirty seconds. It was not my best moment.
  • Options
    My job isn't super physically demanding, besides climbing quite a few flights of stairs to clients home, but is more emotionally demanding. I work with children suffering abuse and have never had an issue separating it and not letting me affect me. Since being pregnant though it's gotten a lot harder to not get emotional when there are infants on my caseload 
  • Options
    @dshannah I cried while finishing a read aloud of the book Frindle to my students. I had to take a break! And don't even get me started on grading! Luckily at my school lots of work can be just quick checked and recycled.
  • Options
    @laurenmdrn16 aww, kids are the most awesome to work with! That's so sweet! Sorry about the GD, but seems like you got some good support going on there ;) 
  • Options
    I definitely hear and feel for all of you ladies. I just started a new job as a physician assistant in an outpatient GI unit and I sometimes end up standing the entire time during office visits with the doctor also being in the room. Being heavier than I've ever been before, I feel the need to sit down but have to grin and bear it. Unfortunately since I'm new there, I don't feel as comfortable asking for accommodations and since I'll only be there for about 3 months before I have to take leave, I will probably have to work right up to D-day. I hope I can make it. 
  • Options

I am also I nurse! I see we have many here! I have to part time job, one in Palliative care, the other in short term rehab. My job in palliative care I am getting by, just getting VERY tried by the end of my shift, put my co-workers are amazing and I hardly need to lift a finger. They are just so so good to me!

But my job in rehab is a different story all together!! It is an underfunded comminuty hospital, where I get way to many pts and next no help from my co-workers (how can I we are all so busy!!) I am still expected to left, turn, push these huge ppl all by my self and it is killing me. I hate going there now, which is so sad. I talked to HR and at my next apt I am having my midwife or dr write me restrictions so I can either go on modified or at least get a lighter pt load. If I have to keep working the way I am now there is no way I will make it as long as I need to!! I don't know how you girls keep going for so long! bless you!!! xx