February 2016 Moms
Options

Forgot to ask my OB..

Hey Mamas!!! :)

I saw my OB yesterday and as usual, my mind went blank when they asked if I had any questions.

FTM mom here so it may be a silly question but I'm very curious:

LO hasn't "dropped" yet. She is head down and "very low" according to my last appointment. Does anyone know if your water can break before the baby "drops"?

Re: Forgot to ask my OB..

• Options
    It totally can. I think the dropped thing is a little subjective too. How far along are you?

• Options
    With DS1, I never "dropped". Water broke at 38 weeks and contractions started back to back shortly after. I was dilated to ten within 2.5 hours but I got my epidural in the midst of that madness and couldn't feel the urge to push so they let me "labor down" for a couple hours before pushing. Seems that DS2 is gonna do the same, dilated to 3.5/4 at 37 weeks just as I was with DS1 but he's still at -2 station.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It can, but I think it would be less likely, because there wouldn't be the same pressure from the baby's head making the bag of waters bulge. Are you thinking your water might have broken?
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    My NP said he may not "drop" at all since I'm short torsoed so there is nowhere for him to really go, so I get the impression it really depends on your build. As far as water breaking, I'm clueless :smile:
  • Options
    g8trkim said:

It totally can. I think the dropped thing is a little subjective too. How far along are you?

@g8trkim I'm 36w 3d right now

• Options

It can, but I think it would be less likely, because there wouldn't be the same pressure from the baby's head making the bag of waters bulge. Are you thinking your water might have broken?

@MississippiCatfish well last night after using the restroom I wiped and when I got up I had a drop/trickle down my leg. I wiped again because, you know, it's getting hard to reach so maybe I didn't do a good job lol and it happened again, twice. It ended up stopping but it out the thought in my head and I realized that I had no idea if baby had to drop in order for water to break! FTM mom jitters, never knowing when Labor could start

• Options
    hbg8711 said:

My NP said he may not "drop" at all since I'm short torsoed so there is nowhere for him to really go, so I get the impression it really depends on your build. As far as water breaking, I'm clueless :smile:

@hbg8711 funny you say that because I too have a very short torso and I was wondering if it would ever look like she dropped!! My Dr said she is very low, but my bump doesn't look low. If she's a long baby, combined with my short torso, I don't know what she would have much room to "drop" lol I wish she would though, so I could go upstairs without being winded and catch a break from this acid reflux!

• Options
    @MississippiCatfish well last night after using the restroom I wiped and when I got up I had a drop/trickle down my leg. I wiped again because, you know, it's getting hard to reach so maybe I didn't do a good job lol and it happened again, twice. It ended up stopping but it out the thought in my head and I realized that I had no idea if baby had to drop in order for water to break! FTM mom jitters, never knowing when Labor could start
    Definitely - I'm sure it's possible! Did you end up calling your doc? It's so hard to know what's what when we get this far along:)
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options

Definitely - I'm sure it's possible! Did you end up calling your doc? It's so hard to know what's what when we get this far along:)

No /: it stopped and I didn't want to be "that mom" that's calls after hours for every little thing lol if it keeps happening I will definetly call. Because it was more of a dripping faucet than a steady trickle, my underwear was absorbing any leakage lol but my little brother was born VERY premature due to his fluids being drained. My little girl is further along that he was, but my mom said in hind sight, she probably had it leaking slowly and didn't notice so I will keep an eye on it!
  • Options

This happens to me every single time I pee. And idk why my lady parts apparently are numb from all the pressure but I usually don't notice the drops/streams until they're halfway down my thigh. So now I just do a cute little squat dance and hold tissue paper between my legs for a few extra seconds. You're welcome for the visual. It's just pee though
  • Options
    Well "very low" is a good sign. But like PPs said, don't really worry one way or the other. Things can drag out or come about really fast. Best of luck!

• Options
    middy411 said:

This happens to me every single time I pee. And idk why my lady parts apparently are numb from all the pressure but I usually don't notice the drops/streams until they're halfway down my thigh. So now I just do a cute little squat dance and hold tissue paper between my legs for a few extra seconds. You're welcome for the visual. It's just pee though

@middy411 LMAO!! I'm laughing so hard right now, but I will totally be stealing that idea! When it stopped I figured it may have been a leaky bladder from all the pressure down there. Later in the night I sneezed and peed a little...which hasn't ever happened before lol oh the joys of pregnancy!