April 2016 Moms
Options

Boy names - need help

We are deaf parents and we need your help with "voice". Our baby boy will have Charles as his middle name. Which first name sounds better with Charles:

Axel

Rhett

Donovan "Donny"

And which name do you like the most? Thanks!!!

Re: Boy names - need help

• Options
    You may get more responses posting on the baby names board, but I'll give you my two cents.

I like Donovan the best with Charles, although I don't love the nn Donny.

Rhett is ok but sounds a bit choppy with Charles.

Hate Axel with or without Charles. 
  • Options

Another vote for Donovan, but not Donny. It reminds me too much of Donny Wahlberg, and not in a good way.

Hate Axel and am "blah" about Rhett

**** Formerly Snoflakes4eva****

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Donovan Charles has a nice ring to it.

It's a boy! Grow baby, grow! EDD: 4/22/2016

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    I agree Donovan sounds better with Charles after but I like Rhett the most. Charles Rhett sounds good.
  • Options
    I like Rhett which Charles.
  • Options
    I agree Donovan sounds better with Charles after but I like Rhett the most. Charles Rhett sounds good.
    Agreed!
  • Options
    I like Donovan Charles. The rhythm of the syllables (long shortshort long) works really well and gives it a more musical quality than either Axel Charles or Rhett Charles, and there are no harsh vowels or consonants in Donovan that contrast with the softer sound of Charles.  

Purely from a sound perspective, the A in Axel is really harsh, especially when combined with the X, which doesn't go well with the softer A in Charles.  Rhett is also a little harder sounding, and the two one-syllable names together don't do it for me.  It also sounds a LOT like Ray Charles, which is fine (dude was a great musician), but something to keep in mind.
  • Options
    Add my vote to Donovan Charles or Charles Rhett. Axel is our dog's name, so I don't care for it for a baby name. 
  • Options
    g&tlewis said:

Agreed!

I third this. No on Axel, and not fond of nn Donny.
  • Options

Add me to the Donovan (no Donny) Charles club. 

I like Rhett, but IMO, would sound better as Charles Rhett (the 'tt' leading into the 'Ch' becomes choppy, whereas 'les' into 'Rhe' flows off the tongue much easier)

• Options
    Jules08 said:

Add me to the Donovan (no Donny) Charles club. 

I like Rhett, but IMO, would sound better as Charles Rhett (the 'tt' leading into the 'Ch' becomes choppy, whereas 'les' into 'Rhe' flows off the tongue much easier)

I agree with all of the above!

Mommy to my sweet boy, JG, born May 15, 2014

Baby #2 due 4/26/16!

• Options
    I vote Donovan. It's unique, but not uncommon. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    Realistically, it is likely that Donny WILL be used as a NN at some point in the child's life. I'm not crazy about the NN but phonetically it is okay. Still, Donovan Charles sounds the best overall out of your options IMO. Charles (NN Charlie) as a first name is also very nice.
  • Options
    kimey1kimey1 member
    edited January 2016
    Another vote for Donovan Charles!
    Not a fan of Donny but I guess close family and friends would call him that? Donovan sounds classy and Donny sounds uber casual. Agree with @cmjenkies - Charles is nice and so is Charlie as a nickname.
  • Options
    Donovan Charles sounds best but I do like your other name choices. Just not paired with Charles. 
  • Options
    I like the suggestion of Charles Rhett