October 2016 Moms
Options

Doctors!

Hey All, 

How many of us are planning on using our regular OBGYN through this process or, is anyone thinking about changing? When I called my doctor to let them know about my BFP, they didn't even want to do a blood test and just scheduled an appointment for the 8 week mark when they can hear the heartbeat. I thought this was strange. 
Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

Re: Doctors!

• Options
    I've gone through an IVF and FET, so I currently see an RE.  I will see the RE frequently for ultrasounds because of what I went through.  I will most likely be with my RE until week 10-11ish.  I'm planning to go back to my normal ob/gyn.  I may change afterwards though because I'm considered high risk, partially due to AMA.
  • Options

*****TW MC mentioned*****

I haven't had any blood work to confirm any of my pregnancies and I'm on my 5th one.

We did check my progesterone this time around. I emailed my doctor as soon as I found out I was pregnant and she ordered the blood work. I've had a feeling that my progesterone drops because I haven't been making it past 6 weeks.

I haven't called yet to make my appointment but I have Kaiser and they usually schedule it at the 8th week as well.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I switched up from my regular ob/gyn because I never felt very comfortable with them. Trying someone new who came recommended by DH's co-worker. We are still pretty new to the area so I haven't had much time to "shop around." Either way, they couldn't squeeze me in for a couple more weeks, which I'm totally fine by.
  • Options
    I'm seeing a midwife group who will see me for an u/s at 9 weeks and an actual midwife apt. at 11 weeks.  Since I had a loss last pregnancy I called a different OBGYN to see if I would be seen any sooner there, but it was 10 weeks.  So I'll stick with the midwives.  I hate the waiting though!
  • Options
    I'm seeing the same OB I've seen for my last four (now five i guess) pregnancies (TW- one early mc at four/five weeks I saw a different doc and one mc at 13 weeks with this same doc).. I really like my doc and he has delivered all three of my babies without incident :) I go for my OB intake appt on Friday and then I'll have another appt probably mid- late Feb :)
  • Options
    My OB-GYN doesn't confirm with a blood test and also won't see me until 8wks. I thought this was weird when I was pregnant with my son but I stuck with them and everything else at the office was awesome! Also, my office only does one ultrasound, around 20wks, that is, as long as your having a 'normal' pregnancy. It's crazy how different each office is.
  • Options
    Just called my OB-GYN and they too start seeing you around 8-10 weeks. Just made my appointment and have to wait till March 2nd! February is going to be a long long month!! I will need your help ladies to stay sane!!
    Married: June 2011
    TTC #1: September 2015-January 2016
    BFP #1: 1/25/16 - MMC Diagnosed 3/22/16
    TTCAL: June 2016
    BFP #2: 8/26/16 - EDD 5/9/17
    Jackson born 5/6/17 at 8:36 PM - 9lbs 5oz & 21in
      Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh and another quick question for everyone, is you DH or SS going with you to your first appointment? My DH wants to come but I am not even 100% sure what they do at a 8-10 week visit.
  • Options
    With my first, I was so excited to go to the doctor right away but all she did was have me pee on another stick! I saw a midwife for the first but we have moved so now I have to find another one. There will probably be a consultation and then regular appointments starting at 12 weeks (my guess). The first trimester is so long and uneventful... (hopefully minus the sickness this time!)
    Married 5yrs
    Me-29 DH-34
    DS-02/02/14
    #2 due 09/29/16
  • Options

Oh and another quick question for everyone, is you DH or SS going with you to your first appointment? My DH wants to come but I am not even 100% sure what they do at a 8-10 week visit.

@lilylover27 My DH- whom I only told last night and super didn't believe me (he thought I had my pregnant coworker pee on the stick as a joke), is absolutely coming. At 8 weeks, you should be able to hear the heartbeat. I think they also measure the baby to confirm EDD. other than that, I'm not really sure either.
  • Options
    @MrsHudson2014I have heard so many mixed reports, some people say they do ultrasounds and others say they only do so if it is high risk pregnancy. I honestly am hoping they do an ultrasound bc FX there will be a heartbeat and that is what I am waiting on to tell out parents and siblings!
  • Options
    @MrsHudson2014 I'm glad to hear you say all those things about the 8 week appointment. DH wants to come and I absolutely want him there. He'll be happy to know you can hear the baby's heartbeat at that point. Appointment is scheduled for Feb 23. This is going to be a long wait!!!! Oh, and I had to find an OB because my GYN doesn't do OB anymore so she sent me to whomever she sends her patients to. 
    Married 3 years
    Me-34 DH-44
    EDD 10/1/16

• Options
    @MrsHudson2014I just called my doctor's office and left a message for someone to call back to tell me exactly what to expect at the appointment. I don't know why I don't think to ask these things in the first place!
  • Options
    @lilylover27  Let me know what they say! My doctor's office immediately said my OBGYN would want to do an in office ultrasound. My appointment is February 29th. The wait is terrible! But you and I currently have the same EDD! 
  • Options
    Same CNM I hope. I just got my insurance info for this year so I still need to check if she's on it. If not, I will find another CNM. I love mine though, so I will seriously cry if she isn't covered by my new insurance.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsHudson2014how exciting!! Since your appointment is earlier than mine I want to hear everything about it!!
  • Options
    We're keeping our same Dr. She was amazing during my last pregnancy (which I lost) and now I feel like she is really on our side and part of our team to get us a healthy baby. 

My first appt is 2/16, I'll only be 7 weeks. Last time I went around 8 weeks and she said it was too early to hear the heartbeat and so didn't want to freak me out if she tried and couldn't get it. I had no idea what to expect, but I wanted my husband to go with me just in case. I think he plans to go this time around too. The first appt is exciting!
    Me: 31 | DH: 43
    BFP #1: 7/15/15, SB: 11/14/15
    Rainbow baby DS born 9/29/16!!
    BFP #3 3/26/18 | Due 12/3/18
  • Options
    And here I thought it was weird my OBGYN wanted to do a blood test before the 8-wk ultrasound... they only made a "confirmation" appointment.

I don't know if my OBGYN will stick with me through the whole pregnancy. When I looked up her profile online, it said she only did 1st trimester prenatal care. So I may have to change. I can ask someone we know after the 1st tri, but to ask them now would be to let the cat out of the bag.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    I usually see my doc around 4-5 weeks but she must be super busy because I could not get an afternoon appt till Feb 17th :( and I will be almost 8 weeks then, which is good and bad. 

Me: 33 DH: 39
    DD 1: 5-24-13
    TTC#2: BFP: 8-23-15 MMC: 10-29-15
    DD 2: 9-15-16
    DD 3: 9-16-17

• Options
    @MrsHudson2014 just got a call back from my OB-GYN office and they did say they do an ultrasound, blood work and family history at this first appointment. I am so happy they said they do the ultrasound bc by my calculations I will be 9 weeks at that appointment so we should be able to hear the heartbeat if everything is good! March 3rd cannot come fast enough! I will be keeping all my fingers and toes crossed until then!
  • Options
    I'm going in on Feb 11th for an ultrasound; I'll be around 6 weeks 5 days. We heard the heartbeat with my daughter real strong around that time, so I'm hoping we will catch it. My doctor likes to see people 7-10 weeks. I have gotten bloodwork already twice (quantitative blood test) to confirm hcg levels were rising..I think my dr is following me a little closer with my history last pregnancy with having a vanishing twin...(multiples) 
  • Options
    I love my NP and the high risk OB at their office. She ordered me blood work the day of my BPF, then repeat 48 hours later and called with results even though it was a sunday. She has me scheduled for my first u/s at 6 weeks and I will stay with her until 12 when i transfer over to the OB that will handle my future care and delivery. She is awesome and introduced us when we first when in in my IUD removal and TTC appointment so that I would know ahead of time and feel comfortable early. 
  • Options
    I switched my OBGYN at my last annual. My last OBGYN didn't deliver at the hospital I wanted.  I got some recommendations and liked him at my annual exam.  I called to schedule my appointment and they don't see patients until 8 weeks to hear the heartbeat.  My appointment is scheduled for Feb 23.  DH will definitely be there!  It's going to be a long 4 weeks!

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    I'm not sure about this time, but the first time I was pregnant last year they (MFM) scheduled the first appt for 8 weeks and did an ultrasound (cool but internal, ugh)...don't quite remember but I'm assuming they had me pee in a cup too, plus they gave me labwork orders that I got done after. I don't have my first appt this time around scheduled yet, waiting for a call back
  • Options
    @Knottie32737181 they did an internal??! I would not have been prepared for that. I just assumed it was an over the belly US. 
  • Options
    I had my intake appt with the nurse today and go back 2/8 for my actual ob appt! Hoping for an u/s to see something!!
  • Options
    kes0028 said:
    I'm going in on Feb 11th for an ultrasound; I'll be around 6 weeks 5 days. We heard the heartbeat with my daughter real strong around that time, so I'm hoping we will catch it. My doctor likes to see people 7-10 weeks. I have gotten bloodwork already twice (quantitative blood test) to confirm hcg levels were rising..I think my dr is following me a little closer with my history last pregnancy with having a vanishing twin...(multiples) 
    My appt. Is at 6w5d.  Hopefully I have the same thing! Even if I don't, I know it's still pretty early. 
  • Options
    We moved recently and I haven't found anyone yet, but I work with some of the ob/gyno doctors so at least I know who I like. ;)
  • Options
    I haven't been to a real ob/gyn in awhile (my regular GP does my paps and stuff), so I found a highly-rated ob/gyn in my area, called on 1/28 when I got my first BFP, and got in for bloodwork on 1/29!  He gets the results Monday and he said based on my hcg levels, he'll schedule first u/s for when I'm around 6 weeks.  I was surprised that I didn't have to pee in a cup.  My DH was like "they believed you that you're pregnant?" and I was like "yes?" lol (he is skeptical despite like 10 BFPs at this point)
  • Options
    I'm switching to a CNM and she doesn't see people until 10-11 weeks unless there is a problem. That's so far away. I got an ultrasound at 9 weeks during my first pregnancy. 
  • Options
    I'm switching to a CNM and she doesn't see people until 10-11 weeks unless there is a problem. That's so far away. I got an ultrasound at 9 weeks during my first pregnancy. 
    I highly recommend CNM to everyone. I loved mine and I loved their care. 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsHudson2014 yes! I was not prepared for that either but it wasn't worse than a usual gyn exam and at that point I was just happy to see a heartbeat. I didn't know I would even have an u/s or that it shows as much as it does that early on. At least the rest would be regular belly ones. Just a tiny glimpse into the many things we have to be willing to have done to our bodies for these babies :smile: 
  • Options
    Your OP is exactly what happens to me every pregnancy. I call up my OB-CNM practice and tell them I have a positive pregnancy test. They schedule be for a TV ultrasound and first appointment around 8 weeks. Its not strange at all.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options
    I'm not sure what to expect or what to research for OB's. My GYN recommended the doctor I'm going to see as she doesn't do OB anymore. The doc works with a group which I think I'm fine with. I suppose later on, I can just request to see the doctor she recommended all the time. Also, he won't be there at my first u/s on 2/23 so I'd have to ask for him later. Not sure what to think about all that. 

I see all these posts about blood work. I can't remember if they said that was going to be happening at my first appt (I was distracted while at the dog park). Does blood work usually happen at the first appointment? I DO know they'll be doing an u/s. I'll be 8 weeks and 3 days.

@mkc3888 you and I have some similarities...we've been TTC the same amount of time, our EDD's are the same and our first appt is the same..2/23! :)
    @thepicklemonster is that normal to get in so quickly after your BFP?
    Married 3 years
    Me-34 DH-44
    EDD 10/1/16

• Options
    @eajanners That sure is a lot of similarities.  I had to change my OB appointment, because I scheduled it at the same time I lead a support group.  So now I'm going in on Feb 19.  

TTC #1 since August 2015
    BFP #1 January 28, 2016
    EDD October 3, 2016
    Felicity Joy, born September 2, 2016
    My Chart
    TTC #2 Since August 2020
    BFP #2 September 11, 2020
    EDD May 23, 2021

• Options
    @eajanners I don't know if it's normal!  It was a new doctor for me.  I called another doctor first and he said he couldn't see me until 2/19, so I called another doctor that had been recommended, and he could see me the next day so I picked him based on that haha.  (But I think the first doctor would have wanted me to come right away for bloodwork too, his schedule was just full.)  I also told them on the phone that I have Hashimoto's and wanted to check my thyroid function so maybe that's part of why they wanted me to come in right away?
  • Options
    von1976von1976 member
    edited February 2016
    Maybe this belongs on WTF Wednesday... LOL.

Anniversary

Baby GIRL born 9/16/201
    BFP! EDD 8/1/2019 CP 4w2d

• Options
    It's pretty normal to not have blood work unless you have a loss history. My OB doesn't schedule people until they are about 8 weeks. The only reason I was seen at 6.5 weeks last pregnancy was because of my loss. They also did not want blood work to confirm pregnancy, a hpt was good enough for them to consider me pregnant and then they confirmed with a pee test at my first appt. 

Sometimes these boards can make it seem like betas and early blood work are the norm, when they really aren't. 
    Married 11/23/11, TTC starting 10/12, BFP#1 11/30/12, Adoption of stepson finalized 03/19/13,Loss of our daughter at 20w4d due to incompetent cervix 03/27/13, BFP#2 06/28/13, DS2 born 3/1/14.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    My first appt with my OB isn't until 11 weeks. No blood work or anything. And I used to work at the clinic, and this was their norm. 
  • Options
    I love my OB who delivered my last 2 kids but her office is over an hour away and I'm not sure that I want to make that drive for this pregnancy. I have an appointment with a local midwife on the 15th because they had a sooner appointment than my usual OB so I'll decide if  I'm switching then. The thing I like about my usual doctor is she is the only one in the practice so I know for sure she will be delivering my baby.