January 2016 Moms
Options

Gas pains

Tonight is the first night since DS has been home, that we've been up pretty much all night, because of gas pains.  He was born 6 weeks early, and will be turning 6 weeks this Wednesday.  We've made the switch to formula about 3 weeks ago and have since went from Enfamil Supplementing to Enfamil Gentlease and just started Similac Sensitive yesterday. I've also added probiotic drops a few days ago. 

Im not asking for instant relief, and I at first was concerned about his lack of pooping (went from 4-5 x a day, to nothing for a few days and now 1 x a day if I. Lucky and its green and pasty),  but now I can tell that these gas pains are interfering so much with not only his basic comfort, but his sleep. He's EXHAUSTED but can't get comfortable enough to fall asleep. He either wakes up in pain and cries out, or is scrunching, grunting, squirming so much, he can't fall asleep and we're up until the whole time until the next feed.

im going to give the Similac Sensitive a couple more days, but I'm thinking another switch may be in my near future. Anyone else have experience with these gas pains and what did you do to see your LO get some comfort? 

Re: Gas pains

• Options
    Bicycle legs have been my life saver for gas for DS, I also got the ok from my pediatrician to try simethicone when it gets really bad, but so far bicycle legs and the fussy baby hold where he lays on his tummy on your arm are the best comforting things so far.
  • Options
    When I do the bicycle legs he usually cries out more. :( sometimes if I push his legs up to his belly when he's starting to pass gas he ends up passing a little bit more and I'm helping him get the rest out but he always ends up crying out afterwards.

I was thinking of maybe trying to switch his bottles out to to see if maybe that is part of the issue. I'm using the Dr. Browns bottles which I know are a great brand but maybe they just aren't for him.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    When LO was born he was given gerber good start gentle- which was fine until he got some stinky gas like it was bad lol.
    I talked to the pediatrician and he reccomended we switch to fever soothe ( for colic babies ) that helped, and she also gave us the geber colic drops.

One night last week LO went crazy he isn't a crier and he was inconsolable we tried EVERYTHING - rubbing his belly, skin to skin, laying him on his belly, bicycle legs ... Everything..
    I got fed up and dropped some drops of the colic drops in his milk and he was asleep in minutes.
    I don't know what it did but he went to sleep.
    Also we cut back on his oz and he's been pretty chill since then.
  • Options
    @carlyhammond How many oz. are you giving your LO?  Griffin will be 6w this Wednesday, and we were giving him 3.5-4 because he was taking it.  Last week the Pedi. told us that maybe we need to go down to 2.5-3.  We've been giving him 3 since.  He's been satisfied and has only really wanted more, last night after his 7pm bottle.  Around 8ish he was acting like we never fed him so we made 2 more and he drank it by a little after 9. 
  • Options
    Gerber Soothe was a life saver with my son. We went through so many different formulas. Soothe has the most basic and broken down proteins, making it easy for baby to digest. We skipped all other formulas with baby girl... she's had some gas here and there, but I think it's more likely to be from the BM she is getting from me.
    We also use Gripe Water drops for gas (I buy mine at Target)
  • Options
    carlyhammondcarlyhammond member
    edited January 2016
    At three weeks old : LO was on 3oz then wanted more so we bumped him up to 4oz the night before he went crazy.
    We took him to the pediatrian the next day bc we were so concerned about him. They told me that was good if he wanted it give it to him..
    SO and I noticed his belly was really big- SO called his mom and she fused at him for giving LO so much, LO doesn't get more than 2.5oz he eats about every 2-4 hours. He acts hungry, we will give him his pacifier and he goes to sleep. If he starts crying we will feed him again.

I didn't realize it but it's like this.
    4oz every 4 hrs is ALOT of formula which is super heavy. No wonder he was so miserable :-/
    But he seems to be doing better with the 2.5oz he's now 4 weeks old
  • Options
    It's totally normal at this stage. Between 4-6 weeks their guts are going through the biggest changes apparently and they're often these little gassy, grunting machines. With my first, we swore by a homeopathic method called cocyntal. Do they have such a thing where you are? By a company called Boiron. Gripe water also works for lots of babies!