1st Trimester

How to thank my husband?

MommyOfBabyGMommyOfBabyG member
edited January 2016 in 1st Trimester
I have had a hard first trimester, I am constantly nauseous or crazy moody. He has been amazing through all of it and I would like to thank him in someway but I can't think of how. Any ideas?

Re: How to thank my husband?

• Loading the player...
  • Haha I do say thank you, I was looking for a way to show him appreciation.
  • Cook his favorite dinner. An "ok" to go have a boys night out. A good time in the sheets, even if it's one sided for him. Give him the remote for the night.

all of this. especially okay-ing a boys night out. he would probably appreciate that. i know my SO definitely would.
  • I've been trying to figure this out too! He has been an absolute saint, while I have been a raging hormonal b***h on top of vomiting nonstop haha.

He does poker night every Friday with the guys already, I cook his favorite meal usually once a week, and we have an awesome sex life so all of the above are out of the question.

I am trying to find something meaningful especially since this is his first child (I have a 6 year old)!
  • Clearly I'm in the minority but I don't see a need for a big thank you. He's your husband. It's HIS child. You are his wife. Being supportive and helpful when you're going through a difficult time is what a spouse is supposed to do. I understand wanting to express your gratitude but you didn't get pregnant by yourself. It's just common sense to me that you're not expected to deal with it on your own. Better or worse is part of the whole "marriage" deal that he agreed to. I think a small thanks like a boys night out, special dinner, etc. is more than enough.
    Truth.

You are carrying his child. It's tough work. My husband has been great during my pregnancy, and I do thank him (especially when he picks up slack for me) but it is because I love and respect him- not because I think he "earned it". We are a pair and I didn't get pregnant on my own and he happily does what he can since he can't physically be pregnant for me.

This weekend, when he was shoveling the 2 feet of snow out of our driveway and I sat inside, I made sure to cook him hot meals and make lots of coffee because that was about all I could do.
  • A good time in the sheets, even if it's one sided for him.
    This suggestion irks me.....
    And yes. This is gross.
  • I understand what you all are saying but what is so wrong with wanting to thank my husband for what he does in a meaningful way? So what if it is what he is supposed to be doing anyway a lot of men don't do what he does and I would like to thank him for that.
  • I understand what you all are saying but what is so wrong with wanting to thank my husband for what he does in a meaningful way? So what if it is what he is supposed to be doing anyway a lot of men don't do what he does and I would like to thank him for that.
    There is nothing wrong with wanting to thank your husband. But don't ask for advice if you don't want it.
  • I have been looking into getting my husband a trip with his buddies to go hunting. That is how he relaxes and I want him to know how much I have appreciated his help so far. He has been so incredible picking up the slack. Doing dishes has been the LAST thing on my mind lately. I totally get it @MommyOfBabyG If we do not show our husbands appreciation, even for the little things that they are "supposed to do anyway", we lose a way to show them our love. I think it is SO important. My husband does the same for me. Why have it any other way? We appreciate each other and spoil each other. Isn't that the point of marriage? To love one another and show that through our actions? I hope you comes up with a wonderful, personal, idea for him!
    first time momma
    -a heart at peace gives life to the body-
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @MommyOfBabyG I have been trying to think of something for my DH as well. Since we are trying to pay off debt and save some money, I've been doing little things here and there. Bringing my home his favorite drink from Sonic as a surprise, or offering to go to a restaurant he really likes one night. I'd like to do something a little bigger for him, but just haven't figured it out, just yet.
    34 Mother of 4 year old and 2 Labs. Happily Married to my Hubs of 6 years.
  • suchaglencocosuchaglencoco member
    edited January 2016
    sarahufl said:

A good time in the sheets, even if it's one sided for him.

And yes. This is gross.

***QBF***

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think it's gross to want to do something nice for your husband in the bedroom.
    While I completely agree it's a spouses job to be helpful, supportive, and be there for the bad parts of pregnancy, I see no problem with being thankful in return. My husband was amazing throughout our pregnancy, as I knew he would be, but it didn't stop me from being extra thankful. I'd make him a special meal, let him pick a movie for our movie nights - little gestures to show I appreciated his support. He'd thank me for carrying our children by stepping up in the housework department, rubbing my back and feet, making me a special meal. We just have the type of relationship where we like to do little things to show appreciation for stuff that sometimes goes unnoticed or taken for granted.
  • I feel you, OP. I had a nightmare first tri...actually I have had a pretty rough pregnancy period. Unfortunate because my husband travels so much, I did most of the first half of it on my own.

I do agree with PPs marriage and parenting is a partnership. Your husband taking care of you is something he is supposed to do, and vice versa. There's nothing wrong with showing him you're grateful but you don't need to go to extreme lengths to do so. My DH's favorite meal is a pot roast, so occasionally when he's extra awesome I may say hey, thanks so much for all of your help recently do you want me to make a roast for dinner? I'm not a huge fan of the roast, so he knows it's something I'm doing just for him.

I'm not saying that there is anything wrong with trying to say thank you. I'm saying, the small things are meaningful. A simple thank you and acknowledgement is meaningful. I don't think you need to do something big or over the top to give thanks. I'm a believer of it really is the thought that counts. It's part of his responsibility. I understand that many men don't step to take on their responsibility as they should. In those cases, you discuss it with them and don't say thanks.

December Siggy Challenge

imageimageimage
  • OP, I agree with you that it's important (and fun) to do something special for your spouse to show how grateful you are. I think the positive reinforcement is great! My hubby leaves me sweet little notes in random places (e.g. in my lunch box, on my dresser, in my purse, etc.) and that totally makes my day every time. Maybe you could write him a note or a letter to tell him how much you appreciate him? I cherish every single note or letter I get from my DH, and have all of them stashed away to look at whenever. 
    Another suggestion, as I think someone else mentioned, is just to surprise him with something he really enjoys, like a specific coffee or drink that he enjoys. Since my DH has been picking up a lot of slack around the house, I've picked up his favorite energy drink several times. He also mentioned that a certain type of oreos sounded good last week, so we went on a craving run for him instead of me (for once). :wink: 

Maybe it is because the guy I had my almost 5-year-old daughter with was a jerk, and made my pregnancy miserable, but I have a really deep appreciation for what my husband has been doing. I know for a fact that there are lots of men who aren't this wonderful during pregnancy, even if it is something they absolutely SHOULD be doing anyway. My DH tells me how much he appreciates the things I do as well, even though they're also things that are expected of me in our marriage. And even though those things are expected, it sure does feel good to feel appreciated!
    Me: 25  DH: 28

Hubby's little boy - my wonderful step-son - born 5/23/10
    BFP#1: 06/2010...my beautiful baby girl born 3/7/2011
    BFP #2: 10/24/15...mc on 10/31/15
    BFP #3: 11/27/15. EDD 8/6/16

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." -Winston Churchill
  • Maybe it's just us, but saying 'thank you' or giving him a hug is really all my husband wants from me.  I'm carrying his child, so I deserve a thank you as well :-)
    But seriously, I think the most considerate and thoughtful thing you can do is just say how you feel.  People don't need special gifts to feel appreciated.
    There's nothing wrong with it-- I just think doing what a spouse is supposed to do (on the reg) doesn't really merit a medal of honor or anything. If it was especially different or out of his way? Maybe. You do you. Just because other husband's are not as attentive doesn't mean that you have to do anything when your husband is just doing his job as a husband or father. I'm not sure why you asked if you don't really want folks to give you their real thoughts?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• suchaglencocosuchaglencoco member
    edited January 2016
    sarahufl said:

sarahufl said:

And yes. This is gross.

***QBF***

We'll have to agree to disagree. I don't think it's gross to want to do something nice for your husband in the bedroom.
    While I completely agree it's a spouses job to be helpful, supportive, and be there for the bad parts of pregnancy, I see no problem with being thankful in return. My husband was amazing throughout our pregnancy, as I knew he would be, but it didn't stop me from being extra thankful. I'd make him a special meal, let him pick a movie for our movie nights - little gestures to show I appreciated his support. He'd thank me for carrying our children by stepping up in the housework department, rubbing my back and feet, making me a special meal. We just have the type of relationship where we like to do little things to show appreciation for stuff that sometimes goes unnoticed or taken for granted.

listen, I'm all for good sex. But to use it as some sort of reward for being a good husband is just strange to me. Especially if you (the spouse) aren't going to enjoy it. It just comes off as being really submissive to me. I'm super thankful for my husband all the time, and especially since getting pregnant. And I tell him that. But I am not going to give him some reward for good behavior. He is a grown man, not a child.

***QBF***

A, Never said it was a reward, that's your wording. I just suggested it for her to use as a thank you.
    B, It's not submissive to want to do something nice without it being reciprocated.
    C, I don't know why we're beating a dead horse. Already said we can agree to disagree on this tiny subject as most of the time, I highly agree with your stances on things.
  • JMarie1291JMarie1291 member
    edited January 2016
    My hubby has been great during my entire pregnancy. Im 37 weeks now.... I've done little things throughout these past months to show him I appreciate all his help and support. But pregnant or not he helps and supports me with everything! I'll go out of my way here and there to find his favorite beer.... Or get his favorite take out. Also when I go shopping I'll find a baby outfit that says something about daddy on it. Or I've bought a matching daddy son thing on etsy (dads shirt says" ahhhhh I created a monster" baby shirt says" monster"). Those are the heart filled gifts my husband appreciates. He returns the gifts to me with pandora charms, chocolates if he passes my favorite candy shop, cute baby clothing that says mommy stuff, and he'll sometimes suprise me with new lotion and body scrub from bath and body works.... That's just how our relationship is. You shouldn't have to give your husband a gift to show you appreciate is help since this pregnancy has been hard and making you moody or nauses. This is only the beginning!!! He should be amazing and helping you every step. Make him his favorite meal and light some candles have a romantic dinner! Or just write him a note somewhere he'll see it saying i love you and appreciate all you do.

Sex should never be a reward.... That is an intimate moment between 2 people who have a connection (hopefully between to people that love eachother very much). Don't take the power of your vagina and make it into a reward.... That's just wrong. It's like giving your dog a treat for doing something good. Hubby and I have sex basically daily... Even if we are arguing and not seeing eye to eye that day .....we put all the b.s. behind us a bedtime and love each other.
  • @JMarie1291 : sex daily? I feel the need to advise you that you do realize there is nothing in the vagina for 6 weeks after birth, yes? Even TTC, we aren't getting busy on the daily. I mean, you do you & more power to you-- but doesn't your vagina get sore?

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• Also-- @JMarie1291 -- sex will change after your LO gets here. So enjoy allll the sex now.

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

• I plan to write mine a letter.

I'm now almost 37 weeks and my husband has been a saint. Normally, we split our housework (both work full time), but during this pregnancy, he has taken on my share of housework, has been doing more with our toddler and has been in general, just amazing.
    I do think that it is his job as s partner to help and support me during my pregnancy, and he wouldn't be my husband if he wasn't the type to do so. But I want to express to him how invaluable he's been to me during this pregnancy, and want to let him know that he's an amazing father, husband and friend.

I don't think any material gift could represent my feelings towards him, and I don't like the idea of using sex as a reward. He's a big boy, he can decide when to go have a boys night and when it's inappropriate; he doesn't need my 'permission'. So I think the best way to convey my feelings is by writing him a letter.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • sarahufl said:

And yes. This is gross.

***QBF***

It's not gross to do something nice for your husband in the bedroom if you are BOTH in the mood. The issue I have is your suggestion that you should do something even if you are not in the mood. My SO would find it gross if I offered him sex as a means of saying thankyou, especially if he knew that I wasn't up for it. Sex should be between two adults who BOTH want it at the same time, otherwise what's the point? He would rather take care of business himself if I'm not in the mood than know I'm just doing it for his benefit. Sex is an expression of love between two people, not a means of saying thankyou for doing the dishes. My vagina is not a reward for good behaviour, and the suggestion of using it as such is the part of your original post that doesn't sit well with me.

***QBF***

Never in my post did I say she should do it against her will or without being into it. I've had times where I wanted to just do something nice for him, we were both into it and that was that. And there have been times where he just wanted to do something nice for me. No grossness, just love and wanting to do something for your partner.
    AGAIN never said it was a reward. You're the ones who keep using that word.
    You have your viewpoint, which is great and I have mine. That's it. No need to keep going back and forth we both just view this differently.
  • sarahufl said:

And yes. This is gross.

***QBF***

It's not gross to do something nice for your husband in the bedroom if you are BOTH in the mood. The issue I have is your suggestion that you should do something even if you are not in the mood. My SO would find it gross if I offered him sex as a means of saying thankyou, especially if he knew that I wasn't up for it. Sex should be between two adults who BOTH want it at the same time, otherwise what's the point? He would rather take care of business himself if I'm not in the mood than know I'm just doing it for his benefit. Sex is an expression of love between two people, not a means of saying thankyou for doing the dishes. My vagina is not a reward for good behaviour, and the suggestion of using it as such is the part of your original post that doesn't sit well with me.
    ***QBF***

Never in my post did I say she should do it against her will or without being into it.

But you did say 'A good time in the sheets even if it's one sided for him' which certainly implies having sex without one party (namely the woman in this case) being into it.
  • @PrimRoseMama I obviously know we won't have sex for the 6 weeks after the baby is born. But do plan on having sex when we are up to it after the baby. It probably won't be daily like it is now but thats okay. No I don't get sore at all. We are sexually attracted to each other along with many other attractions. We also make time for each other at night and believe its important and will try to keep the spark alive as much as we can once baby is here. Our relationship isn't based on it just a very big plus that we have such an intimate side to our relationship
  • sarahufl said:

And yes. This is gross.

***QBF***

***QBF***

Never in my post did I say she should do it against her will or without being into it.
    But you did say 'A good time in the sheets even if it's one sided for him' which certainly implies having sex without one party (namely the woman in this case) being into it.

I don't see where she said to use it as a reward, nor did I see her say anything about using your vagina. There are plenty of fun little extras you can do for your husband that don't include your vagina. I read her statement of "one sided" as meaning other ways to make him, umm, happy(use your imagination, I don't want a TOU violation). Doing things like that aren't being "submissive" or using sex as a reward. Btw there is nothing wrong with being a little submissive occasionally. Some husband's actually enjoy the change/variety... Shocker.
  • But you did say 'A good time in the sheets even if it's one sided for him' which certainly implies having sex without one party (namely the woman in this case) being into it.
    I personally took this as giving a beej without reciprocation, not not being into it. So, I don't think it certainly implies what you suggested, although I can understand where you could jump to that conclusion.

Me: 29  DH: 31
    Married 10/13/12
    TTC Since 8/2016

• But you did say 'A good time in the sheets even if it's one sided for him' which certainly implies having sex without one party (namely the woman in this case) being into it.

I personally took this as giving a beej without reciprocation, not not being into it. So, I don't think it certainly implies what you suggested, although I can understand where you could jump to that conclusion.

Fair enough, but I still would never think of giving my SO a beej (or any sexual activity) as a means of saying thankyou for anything. That's not the point of sexual intimacy to me.
  • kyraaD said:

clearly I'm in the minority here.. i dont really understand why @suchaglencoco is getting so much heat for suggesting a good time in the sheets as a way of expressing gratitude. just because it's something you would never do doesn't mean it's wrong. I'm not saying do it even if you're not in the mood. my SO would hav no interest in doing things in bed if i was doing it solely for his benefit. i just don't see what's so wrong with giving your DH/SO a BJ or having sex with him when you're in the mood & feeling grateful. buuuut that's just me.

I didn't say it was wrong, I said it 'irks me'. I also agree that there is nothing wrong in giving your SO a BJ or having sex IF you are in the mood and I also agree that my SO would have no interest in doing things in bed if I was doing it solely for his benefit (I think I even said that myself earlier).
  • So I wanted to share what I did for my husband.  Yesterday at work I sat down and wrote him a note - it was just a simple note thanking him for all he does, and thanking him for loving us the way he does.  It made him tear up and he said "this is all I needed from you."
    I just wanted to share that it's often times the little things that mean the most.
  • I don't know, I don't really understand why people feel the need to thank others in this sort of lavish and over-the-top way, especially when said person is just behaving with common human decency? 

Just say, 'Hey, man. Thanks for being so cool.' 
  • Also, 'cook is favorite dinner' and 'give him sex' all really annoy me. Like, what the fuck? Are we really in a time and place where cooking meals and 'giving' men sex are all ways of 'thanking' them?