Baby Names
Options

Middle Name for Violet

So we are 97% (ha) sure that this baby will be named Violet... we'll see if change our minds!  We still can't decide on a middle name. Initially we were thinking to go with a virtue name and were liking Violet Mercy, but lately I haven't been loving Mercy. It's really important to me that the middle name be something meaningful, not just another pretty name. Our options right now are:

Violet Jane - Jane is the middle name of DH's grandma who was/is a huge part of his life. We would love to honor their family in any way. I just feel like Jane is so overused as a mn and has become kind of "filler." It would be meaningful to us, I just don't know if it sounds very special.

Violet Lane - I think this is my current favorite, but I'm all over the place.  DH's grandpa's mn is Delane. This is the same family as the grandma mentioned above, so it would be a special way to honor them for the role they have played in DH's life. I like that Lane is a little more unique than Jane.

Violet Rae - Rae is my mn and DH loves the idea of using it for our daughter. It's also my grandma's mn. I like it, but I feel a little weird naming her after me... I just can't quite get over that.

Any feedback? Our last name is Smith.

Re: Middle Name for Violet

• Options
    Before I read your post I was thinking Violet Jane.

IMO- it's never a "filler name" if it has family significance, regardless of popularity.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    Violet Jane.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I like the sound of Violet Lane and Violet Rae way more than Violet Jane. I do think Rae will become much more popular in the next few years thanks to Starwars. Not sure if that sways you one way or another.
  • Options
    Violet Mercy: I like both names separately but not together.  It's an adjective followed by a noun.  And it sounds kind of like "violent mercy" heh.  

Violet Jane: Probably my favorite from your list.  Yes, Jane is popular and common, but that doesn't matter if it holds special meaning for you.  My DS2's first and middle names are both top ten, but they are very meaningful to DH and I.  I think that meaning trumps popularity, but if it really bothers you, then you'll know that it's not the right name for you.

Violet Lane:  This name bothers me in that Lane is a masculine name.  It is in the middle name spot and holds meaning for you, so I think that you could do it without getting the side-eye if it was your choice.  

Violet Rae: Another pretty choice.  I see no issue with naming your child after yourself.  Afterall, you and YH are the reason that the child will be entering the world and are/will be a HUGE part of her life.  Again, though, if it is something that bothers you, maybe it isn't the right choice for you.  

• Options
    I like Violet Lane best.
  • Options
    I love Violet Jane! Violet Rae is nice too but Violet Lane sounds like a street name to me.
  • Options
    Violent Jane. I personally don't like the other suggestions.
  • Options
    Violet Jane IS meaningful to you so it doesn't matter if it SOUNDS meaningful. That's my vote!
  • Options
    Strange! 

Okay, so Violet was our second runner up for our 3 week old daughter. 
    AND - our last name is also Smith. 

That being said, I love Violet Jane. And I especially love it because it has meaning. 

Our top middle name choices were Violet Maeve and Violet Claire, in case you're still looking! 
  • Options
    Violet lane sounds like a street. Maybe violet Delaney?
  • Options
    Violet Rae has my vote from those options.

Not on your list but was on my short list....
    Violet Jean.

My soon to be two year old is Violet Ruth.

Mama to two perfect little girls.
    Lucy 07-13-11
    Violet 03-13-14
    Conceived #3 since September 2015
    11-25-15 twelve week loss
    07-21-16 ten week loss
    10-03-16 5 week loss
    TTC again soon!
  • Options
    scottenscotten member
    edited January 2016
    I like Violet Rae best because of the meaning. My DD is Dorothy Laura. Laura is my great-grandmother's first name, my mother's middle name and my middle name. Because of the long history, like Rae in your family, I didn't have a problem naming her after "myself" - and two other important women.
  • Options
    Violet Jane is lovely!
  • Options
    I was also going to suggest Violet Delaney, but I also really like Violet Rae.
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    Violet Rae is hands down my favorite. I absolutely love it. And naming your daughter after you is not weird at all. I'm named after my mother and grandmother and live the connection.

***TW****MC mentioned & BFP mentioned***

me 38 DH 39.  
    TTC#1 since July 2014
    AMH 0.1, DOR, Poor responder
    Moved to Prague, Czech Republic for IVF
    2 Natural IVF cycles, 3 full IVF cycles, 4 transfers, 1 BFP - heard heartbeat at 6w5d
    Diagnosed MMC at 9w1d on 11/30/15
    Headed back home to Colorado 12/12/15

DE attempt in Czech Republic!! 

March trip to Prague canceled due to Pancreatitis. :sob:
    Headed to Prague April 30
    3 different donors resulted in 1 PGS tested embryo and 1 fresh embryo
    2 embryo's transferred (from 2 different donors) on 5/10/16
    BFP on 5/15/16 at 5dp5dt
    Beta 1 = 81 at 8dp5dt, Beta 2 = 295 at 10dp5dt, Beta 3 = 891 at 12dt5dt. Beta 4 = 2114 at 14dp5dt, Beta 5 = 4916 at 16dp5dt, Beta 6 = 13252 at 19dp5dt
    Heartbeat at 6w5d 133BPM <3
    We are having a GIRL!!! Due Jan 26, 2017

BabyFruit Ticker

My blog: www.wearethehammitts.blogspot.com

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I like Mercy actually but don't love it with Violet. Violet Lane does sound like a street. I think Jane and Rae are both solid choices.

• Options
    Violet Jane is all kinds of lovely. We had Violet Elizabeth on our list if you are still looking for more choices.
  • Options
    Violet Lane sounds like a street. I like Violet Jane the best.