November 2015 Moms

Parenting Hacks

Hi Ladies!

Now that our LOs are older I thought it might be fun to share some parenting hacks we've discovered!

Here's mine: LO loves the sound of the hairdryer! I can turn it on and he will let me get a shower in! I just make sure the hairdryer is in a safe place.

Anyone else discover a hack that they want to share?

Re: Parenting Hacks

• I second the hair dryer. But I search for videos on YouTube as I don't trust a hairdryer being on that long. It's the only thing that will settle his crying spurts. Why do white noise machines not have a hairdryer setting?!
  • Loading the player...
  • I second the hair dryer. But I search for videos on YouTube as I don't trust a hairdryer being on that long. It's the only thing that will settle his crying spurts. Why do white noise machines not have a hairdryer setting?!

There is an app called baby sleep and it has a hair dryer setting. It's awesome!
  • I have a bouncer that lives in the kitchen so that I can get a few minutes to get food together and maybe even eat when Spawn is awake. Occasionally he'll let me sweep with him in it too.
  • Bouncing on the yoga ball puts my LO to sleep pretty much every time. I think the longest it's taken ha been 10 minutes. First night I did it he was out in less than a minute
  • Why are the waist of baby pants so big but the legs are short? Maybe my LO is just long and thin? Anyways, to keep her pantyhose up and not sagging down I put her onesie buttoned on top of the leggings. Keeps them perfect. Now that it's cold I bought thick ones and she wears them under all her cute home dresses. Then she can be cute and comfy without being in a nightie all day.

There is an app called baby sleep and it has a hair dryer setting. It's awesome!
    I never thought of that! Now I won't have to worry about leaving it on!
  • Why are the waist of baby pants so big but the legs are short? Maybe my LO is just long and thin? Anyways, to keep her pantyhose up and not sagging down I put her onesie buttoned on top of the leggings. Keeps them perfect. Now that it's cold I bought thick ones and she wears them under all her cute home dresses. Then she can be cute and comfy without being in a nightie all day.

Haha, I button the onesie over the leggings, too, but I do it because they are all two inches too long for her, and because her toes are way up inside, she kicks them off. They just won't stay rolled up.

I guess babies come in lots of shapes!
  • When I take LO a bath I put wet washcloths over his body to keep him warm & over his penis so he doesn't pee in his face while I scrub everything else. I did it for DS1 also because he would get cold every time we bathed him.
  • I second the washcloth over his penis! Oliver can pee to the top of the shower curtain and has been covered since

When he gets fussy, all I have to do is rock him and sing "Lullabye" by Billy Joel or "Rainbow Connection" and he's instantly calm and dozes off.
  • My LO loves when I sing "You Are My Sunshine" and once I sang it for 30 minutes straight on the way home from the pedi. I was too afraid he would freak out if I stopped haha
  • rachswi said:

Bouncing on the yoga ball puts my LO to sleep pretty much every time. I think the longest it's taken ha been 10 minutes. First night I did it he was out in less than a minute

This! I bought my stability ball the night I went into labor so I was disappointed I didn't really get to use it while pregnant. But it's been amazing for bouncing with her!
  • Last night I downloaded a hairdryer noise off iTunes onto my old iPhone and now I play it at night for him via my alarm clock. Hoping it will help keep him asleep for his naps!
  • @NovemberSno my LO is 20% for length 70% for weight...we have to cut the elastic band on most pants so they will fit our little roly poly!

My hack contribution is that when LO falls asleep in the ergo 360 I remove her while still inside the infant insert and tuck the baby burrito (infant insert and all) into the cradle n swing. She stays warm and still gets the snug feeling she likes from the ergo and never wakes up from the transition!
  • Lsager424 said:

The Happiest Baby on the Block CD calms a fussy Hudson like nobodies business. If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, you can stream it for free through Amazon Music. It's like baby Valium to my LO.

Thank you for the recc! I played this CD last night through Amazon Music for LO and he slept much better than the past few nights! Thank you!!!
  • Lsager424 said:

The Happiest Baby on the Block CD calms a fussy Hudson like nobodies business. If you are an Amazon Prime subscriber, you can stream it for free through Amazon Music. It's like baby Valium to my LO.

Thank you for the recc! I played this CD last night through Amazon Music for LO and he slept much better than the past few nights! Thank you!!!
    Same. I'm currently playing "Strong Hairdryer" for LO. Absolutely awful sound to me but he is loving it. Whatever works, right?
  • Lsager424 said:

Same. I'm currently playing "Strong Hairdryer" for LO. Absolutely awful sound to me but he is loving it. Whatever works, right?
    I played strong hairdryer today anytime she got fussy/tired. I can't believe how quickly it got her to sleep. She barely cried today because of it, and while she didn't take longer naps, it saved us from a few overtired meltdowns.
  • Hairdryer is definitely a life saver! I start playing it on my extra iPhone when he starts to show signs he's tired and then we head up to his room and I put it on the speaker.

The only issue I have is that it is very high pitch so I'm always nervous that it's too loud.
  • rachswi said:

Bouncing on the yoga ball puts my LO to sleep pretty much every time. I think the longest it's taken ha been 10 minutes. First night I did it he was out in less than a minute

I second the yoga ball! I've been giving them as gifts at baby showers. My LO loves it and prefers the ball to the rocking chair!
  • Jtk13 said:

rachswi said:

I second the yoga ball! I've been giving them as gifts at baby showers. My LO loves it and prefers the ball to the rocking chair!
    Yeah I can only transition to the rocking chair if LO is mostly asleep. He usually won't accept rocking in the chair unless he's super calm. That being said - the hair dryer sound from happiest baby on the block has allowed me to be lazy and rock LO to sleep for 2 naps now because it calms him down enough for me to rock him to sleep. I'm in love.
  • Just got my baby to sleep in 10 minutes with the hair dryer sound!! Great tip!