TTC after 35
Options

What to expect at the RE?

I know this may be different for everyone's unique circumstances, but what should I expect when I go to the first RE appointment?  Or what was your experience if you don't mind sharing?  Maybe just lots of talking and then they order lots of blood work?  Or did they do blood work right then and there?  I'm clueless!  I'm being referred due to my age and length of TTC.  My cycles are 100% regular 30 day cycles.  Never had any issues.  
Me: 41
Husband: 40
TTC#1 since 9/2014
Unexplained Infertility - Trying naturally

Re: What to expect at the RE?

• Options
    I've been to two different REs (4 years apart).  The first one wanted to look at my lab work that I had previously done by my OBGYN (I brought this in) and talked to my DH and me about what our goals were, and a basic health history/family history.  Talked about cycles, and trying to get an idea of where you are currently.  The second RE did the same thing, but he was a bit more reserved.  We walked into his office, and he had pen and paper, and simply asked, "So...."  and that's where we began.  I always bring my previous blood work/health history with me that I get from my obgyn and PCP to give us a starting place.  They ordered blood work but I cannot remember if it was immediately or more aligned with the beginning of my cycle.  CD3 is an important day typically when first doing bloodwork and initial ultrasounds.  Fx for you!  
  • Options
    So ultrasounds are a typical thing?  

My OBGYN didn't even order blood work.  He said that typically if I was younger and had more time to spare, he would start off doing some preliminary things, but he said it's best for me to start off at the RE due to my age.  So I have no blood work.  

I just filled out a ton of info/history on their web portal and DH has to do the same.  

Thanks for the info!  Interesting to know that they focus on a specific day of the cycle for blood work.
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    They will also most likely write a "prescription" for DH to have a SA completed.  Sounds like you are off to a great start!  It's a lot of talking that first appointment (and then the next appt came at cd2 or cd3). :)

• Options
    @jennh75b My OBGYN had already ordered blood work, ultrasound, and HSG before we went to RE. Like Piperella, we've been to two REs. The first was very negative about statistics as if we didn't know about AMA. During this first and only visit an ultrasound was done and we talked about options and the RE was very pushy about starting IVF immediately. OBGYN had already recommended jumping to IVF due to AMA and we told RE that's what we were there for so the hard sell tactic was weird and rude.
    A year later our second RE experience was completely different. We talked with the RE about what we wanted and what was recommended. Lots of questions about cycle, medical and TTC history, and family. Next we met with other staff members to talk about lab orders and other things we'd need to complete or have faxed over, then about billing options/packages. They sent us home with a list (hormone panel on CD3, infectious disease panel for both DH and I, last pap, last mammogram, and a semen analysis). HSG and ultrasound weren't done until a later visit.
  • Options
    I had an ultrasound at my first appointment, sort of midcycle, and a lot of blood work, detailed medical history. I had some genetic screening, some thyroid testing, found out I had a vitamin D deficiency. I had to go back for day 3 ultrasound and blood work, where they learn a lot.

Also, I'm sure you know, but the ultrasound is transvaginal, so it's like a wand that goes inside you. Here's a tip-- make sure you have already pooped. If you're full, they have a harder time seeing, and it's less comfortable. (TMI, sorry.) 
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    Thanks, all, for the great info!  I will make sure my bowels are empty when doing the ultrasound!  I figured there'd be some variation in experiences but this gives me a LOT more info than what I was going in with.  
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • Options
    yep also know that even if you are on your period they sill still do the sonogram... I was freaked out by this at first.  WRite everything down... mine was information overload and hard to remember it all!
    ***siggy/ticker warning***

Me:36 DH:38 TTC#1 since 4/2012
    Me DX: Hashimotos,Hypothyroid, DOR, MTHFR,  DH: normal

IUI #1-#4 BFNs and a few cancelled cycles in the mix.
    - poor responder
    ***Suprise BFP on 6/13/13. Natural MC @6wks 3days
    IVF#1 and 2- Cancelled due to no response on max stimms
    FET 5/20- BFP
    1st Beta- 641
    2nd beta- 2166
    Sono- TWINS!!!!
    Two Boys! Born January 2015 @36 weeks.  Healthy and no NICU!  So blessed!

• Options
    Ok, thanks @ksgsmu !  I had a hard time recalling what my OB said about certain tests since he was "deep" into  my exam while telling me this info.  How am I expected to remember that stuff?  I was too busy bracing myself during the exam.
    TTC#1 since 9/2014
  • Options
    Good luck to you @jennh75b, I don't have anything to add, just wanted to show my support! Xo
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers