Trouble TTC

Is Exercise after Trigger and IUI a good idea?

Hello all,
I had my 3rd IUI 3 days ago. I haven't been feeling well since due to a lot of discomfort in my tummy area. After i eat and even when i have to pee my uterus feels like its going to fall out! This is why i haven't been back to the gym since having the IUI. I am wondering once the discomfort stops would it be safe to return to the gym and resume my routine. Elliptical and moderate toning. I have read mixed answers about this but i wanted to get feed back from my Bump community. I have read that it can be bad for implantation. I at this point plan to wait a little longer but i just don't know how long to wait. 
Married to My Best Friend
Mom to 2 Fur Babies (Great Danes)

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Is Exercise after Trigger and IUI a good idea?

• I triggered Monday after my cycling class and went to an aerial class Tuesday. IUI today and going to barre class. As long as you're not starting any thing new it's fine. For eg. If you're not a runner and start running a 5k that could be bad. But if you're used to exercising this should be good for you still.
  • @Drove2u  this is new for me i havent went to the gym in a while and i started back the week before trigger. so i think im going to sit it our during my 2ww and if i am preg do light cardio and if im not preg go full force to get my mind off of it.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @blissfulwifey  I haven't had IUI yet but I can understand your concerns.  I would talk to your RE office about the concerns. If not, take the road of less regret.  If you are not comfortable going to the gym, then don't.  Better to be safe than sorry.
    Me: 31 | H: 32
    Married September 2014
    TTC #1 December 2014
    RE appt 12/2015
    CD3 labs normal | HSG 1/8/16 clear | H's SA excellent
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility
    February 2016, cycle 16 - cycle #1 with Letrozole 5mg + TI | Progesterone=20.6
    BFP 2/24/16 - EDD 11/7/16
    It's a girl!
    Isla Quinn born 10/29/16 at 38w5d via C/S
    --------
    TFAS March 2018
    RE consultation 8/2/18
    Suprise! BFP 8/8/18 natural cycle | EDD 4/19/19
    It's a girl!
    Afton Noelle born 4/10/19 at 38w5d via natural VBAC
  • @severmilli12  i like your meme! i could have borrowed that yesterday lol

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I have not heard that exercise is bad for implantation.  If anything getting good circulation is a good thing for it.  However, if you're stimming you should be careful not to overdo it.   I stopped running and switched to pilates and lower impact exercise when stimming because my ovaries were enlarged and tender.

Married for 7 years, TTC for 4 years
    dx:  Diminished Ovarian Reserve
    2 Clomid IUI's + 4 injectable IUI's= 5 BFNs and 1 mc

• @GoldenKeys
     not sure what stemming is? but i was in pain a few days after ovulation. like hurt after i ate, hurt when i had to pee and when i walked like my uterus was being squished.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • While logically I know it's fine to exercise during the TWW I read something that made a lot of sense to me: if you're going to wonder "what if?" If you exercise and get a BFN then don't exercise. I just finished my last dose of femara today and go in for an ultrasound Tuesday and then trigger and IUI later next week...I usually exercise 3x/week but I'm not going to after the trigger because I don't want to have any what if thoughts if it doesn't work out. Do what you feel is right - but really, exercise shouldn't hurt anything.
    Me: 31
    DH: 32

Married: Sep 2012
    TTC #1: Jan 2015
    Baby A (via IUI due to MFI): Sep 2016 born at 35+6

Surprise but very welcome + on 5/16/2019, EDD 1/25/2020
  • I have had 2 IUIs in the past and I went on with daily life immediately afterwards (my doctor's instructions). Do whatever you're comfortable with.
  • My RE didn't say anything about restrictions, but my acupuncturist said to treat myself like I have a cold in the 3-5 days following an IUI.  I walk every day (between our dog and walking to/from work), but I did try to take it easy, other than the walking.
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • riveridgionalriveridgional member
    edited January 2016
    ***TRIGGER WARNING: BFP mentioned***

Obviously, I have no idea what worked for me on my successful round. It was my last round before a 3-4 month break and IVF, so I wanted to do absolutely everything possible and not have anything to "regret". I did a few things differently (took a new kind of progesterone, took estrace in 2ww, did guided fertility meditation from a youtube video every nighy), but I also decided I was going to act like I was in the "2WW" post-IVF. This meant no exercise, no drinking, no caffeine (except the ocassional ICEE; I had a strange craving for cherry and coke icees), no heat sources or overheating and no sex. We did, however, break the no sex rule about 9 dpo when i was convinced I wasn't pregnant (it was the most stressful 2WW of my TTC journey).

Common sense says this stuff doesn't and shouldn't matter. Afterall, people get pregnant doing all of the things I didn't do plus more. I was okay giving it a shot these two weeks, and something (who knows what) clicked. Based on bloodwork and my doctor's opinion, I more than likely had more than one stick initially though only one little guy/girl held on. So, I say if you're up for forgoing exercise or anything else for 2 weeks, then go for it!

Best of luck to you. I am pulling for you so hard!
    Married to DH 10/6/12
    TTC since 5/14
    Unexplained with (controlled) hypothyroidism and suspected ovulatory dysfunction (but, I do ovulate on my own)
    Clomid 50 mg 3/15 (unmonitored) - BFN
    Clomid 50 mg + metformin 4/15 (unmonitored) - BFN 
    First RE appt. 5/15; Natural cycle 5/15 monitored with 2 mature follicles and Pregnyl Trigger (full dose) + prometrium - BFN
    6/15 HSG - clear tubes & normal uterus; great PCT test results
    TI - 100 mg Clomid + prometrium (AM & PM) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 6-7/15 (monitored) --> no additional response and thinned lining - BFN
    TI - Injectables (follistim + Gonal-F, Ganirelix, & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 9/15 --> 3-7 mature follicles (3 definites and 4+ that could have matured due to trigger) @ O -->BFN + 5 large cysts
    BC for 2 weeks due to cysts
    TI - Injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & full dose Pregnyl) + prometrium (AM & PM) 10/15 --> 1 mature follicle --> BFN 
    TI - Last attempt at injectables (Gonal-F, Ganirelix & 1/2 dose Pregnyl) + crinone (AM only) + vaginal estrace (AM & PM) 11/15 --> 3-4 mature follicles --> BFP!! 11/27/15 @ 13dpo (shockingly, actually waited until then to test)

Beta #1 @ 16dpo (11/30/15) = 1,075
    Beta #2 @ 19dpo (12/3/15) = 3,150
    One baby: Saw heartbeat @ 5w5d (114 bpm; baby measuring 2.3mm)

"Great Things are Happening"
  • I don't think it matters either way...at least for me it didn't. After iui #1, I didn't exercise for the 1st 4 days after.....took it easy (besides work, which I'm constantly on my feet, moving around). After iui #2, I went back to exercise the following day....just elliptical training and walking...neither iui worked....so my last IUI was on Tuesday....since then very minimal exercise....but I'm getting at it tomorrow