2nd Trimester
Options

Car seats and strollers.

Anyone else having a hard time picking a car seat and stroller? There are so many options and safety concerns to consider I'm having a hard time picking! I'm worried it won't be safe enough! I would ideally like a travel system so does anyone have any recommendations for that?

Re: Car seats and strollers.

• Options
    Just throwing it out there, the July '16 BMB  has  a great thread about this. Can answer a lot of your questions just by reading through it.
  • Options

Just throwing it out there, the July '16 BMB  has  a great thread about this. Can answer a lot of your questions just by reading through it.

Thank you!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    satuttle1014satuttle1014 member
    edited January 2016
    Have you gone to the store to actually play around with the different options? Granted not everything is there but will give you an idea. I went with a Graco travel system since that was the one that I liked best. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Yes I've gone to Babies R Us once to look at them and will be returning again soon to finish my registry now that I know what we are having :smile:
  • Options
    I'm planning on getting the graco system too fopr the infant seat.  though trying to figure out how to make it work with the hand me down strollers we got (luckily the bugaboo has a thing that allows gracos to go on top, but it's so big!.
    later going to a convertible car seat.  which i think we'll need one for each car?    and i'm totally confused about strollers.  Bugaboo, jogging stroller, AND umbrella stroller?  so many options!

• Options
    mmmmkay said:
    I'm planning on getting the graco system too fopr the infant seat.  though trying to figure out how to make it work with the hand me down strollers we got (luckily the bugaboo has a thing that allows gracos to go on top, but it's so big!.
    later going to a convertible car seat.  which i think we'll need one for each car?    and i'm totally confused about strollers.  Bugaboo, jogging stroller, AND umbrella stroller?  so many options!

I got the Graco Aire 4 travel system. There are so many. I like Graco and Chicco but when I went to test them out I like Graco personally for me a little more. Britax was another one I looked at. I have the stroller and infant carseat since I didn't want to deal with so many stroller frames and then getting a lightweight stroller as well. Lots to store. Once my LO grows out of the infant carseat then I will get a concertible carseat. I only have the carseat base in my car, most will buy 2 of everything, 1 for each car. I said for right now we will use my car when we take her somewhere (I have an SUV). Also I got an umbrella stroller if I don't need to use the big stroller. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    can someone explain to me what exactly is an umbrella stroller?  if you search on amazon a ton of different kinds show up.
  • Options
    mmmmkay said:

can someone explain to me what exactly is an umbrella stroller?  if you search on amazon a ton of different kinds show up.

It is the little light way fold up stroller. It usually don't not have any extras or storage.
  • Options
    I haven't seen any umbrella strollers suitable for a newborn, but if anyone else has, please share!

We aren't looking for a travel system, but I've heard from others that they tend to be pretty heavy--just something to be aware of. My BFF preferred a frame stroller where he snapped in his infant car seat.

I'm skipping the infant car seat, straight to convertible. The stroller we bought came with a bassinet. Both purchases were half price, so that was a motivating factor after having tested out a few options and read lots of reviews. It's overwhelming at times, but was easier after seeing a few items in person.
  • Options
    I got the britax travel system that comes with stroller and infant carrier. They are highest rating for safety and made in Europe where the standards are higher.
  • Options
    Somersky said:
    I haven't seen any umbrella strollers suitable for a newborn, but if anyone else has, please share! We aren't looking for a travel system, but I've heard from others that they tend to be pretty heavy--just something to be aware of. My BFF preferred a frame stroller where he snapped in his infant car seat. I'm skipping the infant car seat, straight to convertible. The stroller we bought came with a bassinet. Both purchases were half price, so that was a motivating factor after having tested out a few options and read lots of reviews. It's overwhelming at times, but was easier after seeing a few items in person.
    I think, generally, they aren't suitable for kids who can't sit up on their own yet.
  • Options
    sarahufl said:
    Somersky said:
    I haven't seen any umbrella strollers suitable for a newborn, but if anyone else has, please share! We aren't looking for a travel system, but I've heard from others that they tend to be pretty heavy--just something to be aware of. My BFF preferred a frame stroller where he snapped in his infant car seat. I'm skipping the infant car seat, straight to convertible. The stroller we bought came with a bassinet. Both purchases were half price, so that was a motivating factor after having tested out a few options and read lots of reviews. It's overwhelming at times, but was easier after seeing a few items in person.
    I think, generally, they aren't suitable for kids who can't sit up on their own yet.
    This. I believe the minimum age is around 6 months for umbrella stroller use. If you don't want to get a larger stroller though,  you could baby wear until your LO is old enough for the umbrella, or, there are umbrella strollers where the infant seats can attach to them (just like they do for larger travel systems), and you can use with with the carseat until 6mo, but don't have the bulk of a full size stroller. https://www.bigbabysmallspace.com/best-umbrella-strollers-car-seat-compatibility/
    This what I want so bad! Graco Modes Click Connect Travel system. The toddler seating part is reversable so it can face you or out and is removeable if you just want the Infant carrier on there. Also comes with the infant carrier and the car base part as well. Grey which is nice and neutral and has excellent reviews is 400 at toys are us but I'm looking around since they do price match! Also it was incredibly easy to use!
    https://www.gracobaby.com/products/pages/modes-click-connect-travel-system-antiquity.aspx
    April Siggy Challenge Social Distancing

• Options
    Check out lucies list (online) and/or the baby bargains book. I used both of those to help me decide what I wanted when registering for dd. Everything is broken down by price range, so there is an option for everyone!