July 2016 Moms
Options

How much caffeine are you all drinking a day?

I'm trying to drink as little as possible but it's impossible for me to not drink a can of Coke every couple days. Just curious what you all do?

Re: How much caffeine are you all drinking a day?

• Options
    I drink a mug of half caff every morning (made at home). My travel mug is either 20oz or 24oz. I don't know the exact amount of caffeine but I do know home brewed drip coffee has less caffeine than store bought stuff.
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    I drink a mix of herbal and Yerba mate tea which has about 80-90mg a cup. If I get an afternoon headache (became a norm in 2nd tri) then I'll drink a shot of espresso, which has around 80mg.

@sboston06 just keep in mind it depends on the coffee bean. Even half caff it can be as much as 203-245mg for that coffee size. Im unsure of your caffeine goals; just wanted to inform :)
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    sboston06sboston06 member
    edited January 2016
    @dolewhipper thank you for the info! On further review my travel mug is 16oz so I feel better about that. I always found the definition of "cup" confusing as in general a cup is 8oz but a standard old school coffee cup is 6oz.

Edited: autocorrect fail
    Me (32) & DH (35)
    Married 10.10.10
    DD born 7.25.16 <3
  • Options
    aceoffaithaceoffaith member
    edited January 2016
    I try to keep it to 100 mg a day maximum. I will either do that by allowing myself a soda or a chai latte. I don't have caffeine every day, but I don't worry if I do indulge.

Edit: words are hard
  • Options
    For the past two weeks, I have had about 6oz of coffee, and then a couple of times a week I will have a soda. I crave soda like nobody's business, but did during the first 15 (or so) weeks of my first pregnancy as well. Which is funny, because I rarely drink soda when not pregnant. 
    edited January 2016
    Pre-pregnancy I used to do just one cup of coffee in the morning with the occasional second cup in the afternoon.  Now I've cut back to half a cup (filling my 12oz mug up halfway) in the morning and that's it.  I tried doing decaf or half caf but quickly realized I'd rather have half a cup of the good stuff than a full cup of so-so tasting decaf.  By the way Coke has far less caffeine than the average cup of coffee. Like, 21mg a can or something.  I'm guessing my half a cup of coffee probably has 100mg or so caffeine, give or take.
  • Options
    I've never been a coffee or tea drinker, but I was a biiiig soda drinker before.  A 12oz can of Pepsi has 38mg of caffeine, so I guess technically to stay under 200mg, I could still have 5 a day!  (Caffeine wise - fine, sugar wise - whoa baby!)  I don't think I've ever in my life had that much in one day, though. :)  I let myself have a soda a day, if I'm having a particularly tough day, I'll have a second.  But no more after that! 
  • Options
    Before I was thinking about getting pregnant I drank coffee all day but then I switch to decaf and now when I want something hot I drink a jasmine tea...not sure how much is in the tea since the box doesn't have the info. I find that I can't or won't drink decaf for very long till it's back to the good stuff so i just stay away when I'm pregnant. 
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    I've actually had an aversion to coffee so I've only had a few lattes here and there or maybe a bottle frappuccino. I do crave sweet tea though so I try to only have one large (my brand is about 100mg of caffeine) per day.
    Me: 33  DH: 31
    Married: 8/9/2010
    3 Furbabies - Kumo, Mal, and Lynx!
    Started TTC August 2014
    BFP #1 - 12/16/14 EDD 8/22/15 - MMC and D&C 1/23/15
    BFP #2 - 7/10/15 EDD 3/20/16- chemical pregnancy, ended 7/16/15
    BFP #3 - 11/12/15 EDD 7/21/16 - wishing and hoping for a sticky little bean!

July'16 BMB May Siggy Challenge - Star Wars:

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Options
    I usually have a cup of coffee in the morning (just normal, home brewed drip) and a can of Coke Zero with dinner (34 mg).
  • Options
    a cup of coffee every morning (my travel coffee mug fits 1 c. of coffee and room for 1/2 and 1/2) and that's it for the day
  • Options
    I have a 12 oz coffee every morning by 10 am or I'm guaranteed a nagging headache for the day. In the afternoon or during dinner I will often have a glass of sweet tea or once in a while a soda. I've sadly gone off chocolate this pregnancy so I'm pretty sure I'm under the 200mg recommended limit.
  • Options
    I have a chai latte about 2-3x a week. I didn't drink a ton of soda prior to becoming pregnant but when I did it was always diet soda. When I asked the nurse about diet soda she didn't really give me a definitive answer so I've just been drinking it far less than I normally would. Diet Dr Pepper. Mmmmm....
  • Options
    I'm a teacher and I used to drink coffee in the morning on my way to school. Over the summer, I didn't drink much at all so I just continued not drinking any when school started up again in September. I knew I was going to try to get pregnant and I didn't want to deal with the caffeine headaches of cutting back. Now I just drink decaf if I really want coffee or I'll get decaf tea. Every once in awhile I'll drink a hot chocolate or something that I know has some. For me, it was just easier to avoid altogether.
  • Options
    I used to drink 4-6 cups of black french press coffee daily. When we started TTC I gave up the caffeine and have stayed away, except since second tri started I've decided on Sundays I can have 1 cup of black coffee at my favorite brunch place as a treat! I figure Seamonkey is sticking around now and one cup of strong black coffee a week won't hurt anything :)
  • Options

I've actually had an aversion to coffee so I've only had a few lattes here and there or maybe a bottle frappuccino. I do crave sweet tea though so I try to only have one large (my brand is about 100mg of caffeine) per day.

I've had the same, which really bummed me out because I'm a huge coffee lover. I've just now, at 15 weeks, began to enjoy it again. But now I have to drink decaf because the caffeine was making me jittery.

As for caffeine intake, I drink maybe 1 can of soda a day. I don't usually finish the whole thing because it's too sweet, but I do need a small amount to keep me going. I work in kindergarten and caffeine is vital.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I was a caffeine addict, but a couple of months before I got pregnant, I gave up all caffeine. I had headaches for a couple of days, but then I was fine. I have avoided caffeine all together throughout this pregnancy and planning on keeping it that way. I have been replacing caffeine with water, orange juice and fruit smoothies ☺
  • Options
    I have a hot drink aversion so no coffee for me :'( I miss it! I don't drink soda often and don't even want chocolate. I was the same with DS (little to no caffeine) and he was fine with it when I was nursing. I think it has more to do with their bodies and digestive systems than how much we drink while pregnant.
    H. Foxe born October 22, 2013
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    None. I love chai and Diet Coke, but I cut it out while TTC because I know I can manage without it. My mom may have been suspicious because I always got Diet Coke when I ate out with her and I switched to water.

Edit: Saw above post and remembered chocolate. I have a healthy amount everyday, so I can't say no caffeine.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I am a big diet coke drinker. I'm trying to push water, but I'm having a hard time drinking enough with my MS. I haven't really been monitoring my caffeine intake, but I have good and bad days. I forgot about chocolate having caffeine, so I may need to take that into consideration since I seem to be eating a lot of that lately!
  • Options
    LaurenAsh23LaurenAsh23 member
    edited January 2016
    I probably have one or two cokes and one or two cups of coffee. Unfortunately, pregnancy brings on terrible headaches and migraines and the only thing that helps is caffeine.

Eta: I have a water bottle with me all day long too and chug that as much as possible, so those drinks mentioned aren't the only things I'm drinking
  • Options
    I gave up my daily coffees but I'm still having one here and there when I have a nasty headache that I can't shake.
  • Options
    I've been drinking either 4oz of strong black home-brewed coffee or a large half calf almond milk latte from the coffee shop on week days. On weekends I indulge in 8oz of homemade black coffee. I'm not a soda drinker and have been keeping my tea consumption caffeine free. 

• Options
    Before getting pregnant, I'd drink about 20-24 oz. of dark roast French press coffee every day. Since my BFP, I've switched to decaf. Even now, it's only 10-12 oz. of decaf every couple days. I do eat chocolate, so I'm getting caffeine from that. But overall, I was able to cut a lot of it out.
  • Options
    I drank decaf when pregnant with DS1, 1 cup half caff a day pregnant with DS2. This baby I drink 1 cup regular coffee with creamer. Both my other kids are totally fine, though DS2 is a better sleeper. That is probably more a second kid thing or luck of the draw than anything else though.
    imageimage

image"AlternaTickers">image
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    Chocolate does have caffeine, but in very small amounts compared to sodas and coffee, so unless you are eating several candy bars a day, it doesn't amount to anything significant really. I believe darker chocolate has more.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I've only had it with the few migraines I've had. It seems to be the only thing to kick them. I do eat chocolate, but not a lot. I've been drinking a ton of water, milk and juice.
  • Options
    Totally just wondering, is there a reason to give up caffeine completely (or seriously minimize)? Did anyone's doctor say it was a good idea? My doctor always said it was totally fine having up to 2 caffeinated drinks a day and everything I've read agrees. I've had up to 2 drinks a day (coffee, a chai latte, tea, etc) without thinking twice...
  • Options
    I gave up coffee and coke before we started TTC but I'd been drinking 2-3 coffees per day prior to that. Like PPs I had an aversion to coffee during the first tri and drank tea 3 or 4 times a week and no coke. Now it seems I'm over the aversion and slowly going back to small coffees maybe twice a week and I might have a pop (canadian, don't judge)  every other day. I just try to be aware of how much I've had. If I drink a coffee that morning I won't have a coke in the afternoon, etc. Moderation and all that. 
  • Options
    I still drink 1-2 cups of black coffee every day. No caffeine plus hormones equals migraines for me. And I love coffee. I'm not a big soda drinker. I'm also drinking close to a gallon of water a day.
  • Options
    I drink normally drink 1 cup and I sometimes have a sweet tea later in the afternoon as of now, but for the first trimester I had a huge coffee aversion. I actually couldn't drink any hot beverages at all. I sometimes had a cold latte to take the edge off. I believe you should do what's best for you within reason and moderation. If you need 2 cups to keep up with an active toddler at home or to keep the headaches at bay, do it. 
    July '16 May Siggy Challenge 

BabyFetus Ticker
    Me: 29
    DH: 32
    Married: June 2011
    DD #1: December 2013
    DD #2: EDD July 2016
  • Options
    I drink as much as I want. :#
  • Options
    My caffeine weakness is sweet tea, though coffee is a close second.  I'm not sure how much caffeine is in my tea or coffee, but if I have a large cup of coffee at the office, then I try to stick to water the rest of the day.  If I'm drinking sweet tea, I may get a Mc D's sweet tea to drink while I'm at the office or have a couple small glasses of tea with supper at home, but I've been drinking more water than anything lately. 

So there's this boy. He kinda stole my heart. He calls me "Mom"

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Voted "Mom of the Year" 2012 Sweetpea Mom Awards

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    Before getting pregnant I would drink like 5 cups a day! Now it kind of grosses me out, so even if I wanted it, I can't really take it, especially the K-cup stuff! Sometimes I'll get a decaf latte and that seems to be okay.
  • Options
    I have a can of pop per day... I tried to cut it out some days but I find myself getting a migrane if I dont have it. I think its ok in moderation. 
  • Options
    Thank you all for your responses! This is my third so I'm not overly insane. My first I cut out caffeine altogether til the third trimester where I'd have a can of Coke a week. But with 2 toddler sons... I need some caffeine! Haha. Just curious if I was the only one still drinking some.
  • Options
    @jennyleigh16 no shame. I say pop as well haha
  • Options
    @djham88 I did the same thing, completely cut out caffeinated beverages with my 1st pregnancy. This time, I have a toddler that I need to keep up with! I'm not a coffee drinker but I have a hot tea most mornings. I've really cut back on soda but if I want something fizzy I try to stick to non-caffeinated (root beer, sprite, sierra mist). However, I still indulge in the occasional diet coke.