Baby Names
Options

Girls names!

yogahhyogahh member
edited January 2016 in Baby Names
So excited- we just found out last night we are having a girl!!! Girls names are easier for me so I've already had a list running for a while. Thankfully DH likes my choices in names. Our top two are Brooke and Harper. Last name is 2 syllabol, starts with an h and is a last name of a main character on "Girls". My concern is Harper H is tongue full of H! We are leaning more to Harper than Brooke but it's not final.

Other names we have liked but won't make the final cut are Whitney, Bianca, Lydia and Kate.

I'm sure I'll have more added to the list in the next four months but thought I would see what you ladies think of our top picks.

Also I've loved Harper for years.. And hate that it's gaining in popularity. I don't think I'll let that sway our decision but also just wanted to see if anyone has any feedback on the popularity?

Ps- how do I create a poll on mobile?

cat fail animated GIF

Re: Girls names!

• Options
    Creating a mobile poll, it should be the same as a desktop. When you start a new discussion, there is a drop down menu next to it "new poll"

Harper is NMS but if you both like it then that's all that matters. The alliteration doesn't bother me, one of my favorite girls names starts with a T and our last name starts with a T as well. If we have another girl one day we will use that one. If the alliteration doesn't bother you then go for it. I wouod come up with a nice middle name to break it up.

I think Harper or Brooke are great choices. I like Brooke better out of the two but that's just me. Go with which name both of you love more which sounds like Harper.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks... As for mn we haven't really discussed it but it will be something feminine since our fn options aren't too much. Something like Rose or Ava. I like Rose with Harper- her initials would be HRH, like her royal highness :)

cat fail animated GIF

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Its popularity is high and rising (now in the top 10). It's a beautiful name but be aware it's more trendy which may mean when she's older people will be able to guess her rough age based on her name alone (similar to Jessica, Jennifer, Ashley etc). She also may be one of a number of Harpers in her year group.

Of course, this doesn't mean anything for her individuality as a person, her talents or her success in life so if these things don't bother you, I'd say go for it :)
    Expecting Double Trouble, April 2016

• Options
    edited January 2016
    FWIW when I married DH I signed up for alliteration and assonance by taking his name! I debated it for awhile due to this but honestly have received so many compliments on how my full name sounds now. Sounds counterintuitive since people shy away from doing it on purpose but that's just my story!

ETA Brooke is NMS but I do like Harper, despite gaining popularity. I say go for it!
    Me 27 | DH 28
    DS October 2014
    #2 May 2016
  • Options
    I don't mind alliteration so I don't think that should sway you away from a name you love. That being said, Harper is not my style. I much prefer Brooke and place my vote for that.
  • Options
    Brooke is very pretty and unexpected. Harper isn't bad but it's too trendy for my taste. I think the other names that didn't make the cut are much better than Harper too. Whitney Kate would be lovely.
  • Options
    Personally I like Brooke a lot more than Harper. Harper like a PP mentioned is very trendy. Trendy is someonthing I personally try to avoid as I was a jennifer of the 80's who grew up with the million Ashley's. Harper has the same trend as Ashley did. Masculine turn female in huge jumps. I also love all the names you mentioned that didn't make the cut and prefer them to be honest

• Options
    Because of your last name, I would stick with Brooke (I also just prefer it over Harper as a name in general). It's beautiful!
    It's a boy! Born 42 weeks, 2 days.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Another name we really like is Natalie. I would say that is in the running too.

We loved Whitney for a while but now that it's real, it seems more of a GP name now.

cat fail animated GIF

• Options
    I like Brooke since it's less popular.