December 2015 Moms

New Year's Eve & BF

Alright ladies, baby is out I'm ready for my first couple alcoholic drinks.. My mom will be watching little miss over night so I can spend time with my SO. I'm super nervous about drinking and breast feeding (I'm exclusively pumping) so do I just dump the first feeding I pump or should I dump another after it?

Re: New Year's Eve & BF

• It takes two hours for one drink to leave your blood system and its the same rule breast milk. No need to pump and dump unless you feel uncomfortable. Another great way to tell if it's out is by buying tester strips. They can tell you if there is still alcohol in your milk. Have a good New Year's Eve! You deserve it!
  • I intend to pump as often as he would eat, so every 2-3 hours, just to keep up supply then discarding what I can't use. I know pumping and dumping won't remove alcohol from your breastmilk but I want to keep my supply in good shape. From what I have gathered it is safe to nurse when it is safe to drive so when you feel you are sober it is probably safe to keep the milk.
  • Loading the player...
  • I plan on pumping before going out that evening.  We will probably only be out for 3-4 hours and home before midnight, so once I get home, I'll pump and throw out just to keep my supply going and routine of pumping on schedule and have DH feed the LO with a bottle of my milk from the fridge. The 2-3 drinks I plan on having will be out of my system for the next feeding. If I'm feeling skeptical, I'll pump and discard the next feeding too and repeat feeding with the bottle. 
  • Safe to drive safe to feed. If you don't feel safe you could mix half and half with sober milk or use the milk for a milk bath
  • I would buy the strips to be safe if you plan on drinking a lot. I don't know that I'd feel comfortable nursing with a hangover, even if I would drive myself to mcdonalds. 

SaveSave
  • The strips are very inaccurate.
    Here's a really good breastfeeding website that is reliable and research based.
    https://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastfeed/lifestyle/alcohol/
  • Thank you all. I wasn't sure if the strips truly worked or not, was a bit skeptical. I'll just pump right before I start drinking and maybe dump a time or two to be safe. I definitely would just be pumping for relief, but I can make it about 8 hours before I get too uncomfortable.