November 2015 Moms

Overtired Baby Syndrome

2»

Re: Overtired Baby Syndrome

• Wow I feel left behind. My LO is almost 2 months and barely pulling in at 8lbs. She eats alot though so idk... :confused:

I'm right there with you! Two months and she is probably not even 8 pounds, though she eats every 2-3 hours and wakes up to eat during the night. Doc says she might just be petite and as long as she's following the weight curve not to worry, but sometimes I get worried/jealous hearing about all these chunks!
    Yep my doc said the same I'm 5'0 and...uhh...we will skip the weight part until I lose 10 lbs lol. But I want a little chub!!! Lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited January 2016
    LO napped for 4 hrs straight today and before that took a 3 hr nap. Hoping his stretch of nap fighting is over for now and I can get back to 4 hr stretches at night instead of 2-3!
  • emzcatemzcat member
    edited January 2016
    edit: changed my mind about my post.
  • My LO fights sleep so hard during the day and it takes forever to get her to nap, but when she does sleep she sleeps for a good 2-3 hours. If she does fall asleep and we have something to do that's non urgent is it ridiculous for me to just cancel? For example, dinner with family is planned for 5, but my LO fell asleep at 4 and is still napping. If I tried putting her in her car seat there's a 90% chance she'll wake up and be miserable. I just feel like it's my job to look out for her best interests and that includes getting enough sleep. She's always miserable over there anyway. There are so many people and it's so stinking loud.
  • I've canceled a few non-urgent things or shown up late because Zeke was sleeping. Sleep is such a precious commodity that I would rather he get it than he be screaming his poor head off at whatever place we were going to go to. If I thought I could get him back to sleep then I would go but if I thought his sleep would be ruined and it was an unimportant event I would cancel
  • GoogleMDGoogleMD member
    edited January 2016
    I

My LO fights sleep so hard during the day and it takes forever to get her to nap, but when she does sleep she sleeps for a good 2-3 hours. If she does fall asleep and we have something to do that's non urgent is it ridiculous for me to just cancel? For example, dinner with family is planned for 5, but my LO fell asleep at 4 and is still napping. If I tried putting her in her car seat there's a 90% chance she'll wake up and be miserable. I just feel like it's my job to look out for her best interests and that includes getting enough sleep. She's always miserable over there anyway. There are so many people and it's so stinking loud.

We showed up 3 hours late to christmas dinner because they decided to have it right during LO nap time. I told them in advance we would come as early as possible but that he would likely being sleeping to during that time, and I wouldn't wake him.
  • I don't claim to be an expert, just a mom trying to do the best I can for my baby. I chose to sleep train and my LO is thriving beautifuly and my pedi is thrilled with her stats. There are many cruel things in this world but giving my baby sound sleep and consistency is hardly one of those things. I do not judge moms who choose not to sleep train and wouldn't jump in an on demand feeding thread criticizing those moms. I have not read moms on call and am not familiar with its principles but I would be happy to share nuggets I've found valuable so far in setting a routine.
  • LO is STILL refusing to nap during the day. I'm watching his cues and as soon as I put him down he's wide awake or wakes up 15 min later. He naps in his RNP in the living room-maybe I should move it to his nursery where it's darker and has less things to look at.

He went down at like 3:30 yesterday and slept until I changed/fed him at 8, then went back to sleep until 3:30, then it was a chore getting him back to sleep and then he was up again at 6 and it wide awake.

I'm still waiting for my Moms On Call books to come. I'm hoping it can help get him on a daytime schedule!
  • LO is STILL refusing to nap during the day. I'm watching his cues and as soon as I put him down he's wide awake or wakes up 15 min later. He naps in his RNP in the living room-maybe I should move it to his nursery where it's darker and has less things to look at.

He went down at like 3:30 yesterday and slept until I changed/fed him at 8, then went back to sleep until 3:30, then it was a chore getting him back to sleep and then he was up again at 6 and it wide awake.

I'm still waiting for my Moms On Call books to come. I'm hoping it can help get him on a daytime schedule!

It sounds like he has his days and nights mixes up. I corrected mine by making sure it is very bright during the day. Light are on blinds open, at 730 we turn the lights down and then start our bed time routine at or 830.
  • @GoogleMD hmmm, that's a thought. What do you do for naps? Move baby to a darker room or leave them in the bright living space?
  • He usually takes a long 2 or 3 hour nap around noon so I usually rock him and then put him in his bassinet which h is in our room, so that is dark. All his his other naps are out in the family areas usually being held or in his swing so it is nice and bright