November 2015 Moms
Options

Overtired Baby Syndrome

I feel like I'm losing my mind here. Spawn doesn't sleep like the average infant. Today was way worse than usual, only two naps lasting longer than 20 minutes, but most days he manages to be up for about 2 1/2-4 hours before powering down for around two hours. He's easier to put to sleep at night but even then if I manage to put him down without him realizing it, it's still only for two hours at most. Basically I'm at the end of my rope here.

He's EBF and I don't drink tons of caffeine. He seems to be going through the awesome PURPLE crying period so he cries during the awake periods, but he'll also spend a chunk of the time fairly content.

I started him on the Gerber Soothe drops tonight so I'm hoping they work, but anyway...

What do you do to help put your overtired baby to sleep?
I know normal is BS, but does anyone have experience with am infant that spends most of their time awake?
Basically - I need a fresh perspective on what I can do and some reassurance that this will pass.

Re: Overtired Baby Syndrome

• Options
    It will pass good luck mama. If he does sleep well at night do you have a routine you could repeat during the day.
  • Options
    My DS did that as well and I promise it will pass. He is now an amazing sleeper and will even walk into his room at 7pm sharp if we are moving too slow for him during nighttime routine.

I got through it by using some tricks that I knew could help keep him down for longer stretches during the day. I always found that if he slept well during the day he would start to give better and longer stretches at night despite the night fussy period.

Does your son fall asleep in the car? I would take a long drive to knock him out for at least 20 minutes before returning home to carefully unload him. There were days when I did this two or three times (morning, afternoon and late afternoon/early evening). Just setup a baby mirror to know for sure he is asleep. I would also let him sleep on me during the day if I did get him to sleep knowing a transfer could be a death sentence. It sucked, but it doubled nap times and got me to at least 40-60 minutes of DS sleeping.

At night (9-10pm on) dim all lights in the room you're in and turn down the volume on any entertainment (TV or radio). Limit conversation with DS and don't really engage him even if he is crying (which will happen no matter daytime sleep). We would swaddle and shush from 9pm on, but no other interaction. This will help him more with the "night is for sleep" part.

DS improved after a few weeks. He definitely went through the witching hour and would scream from 5/6-10 no matter what, but better day sleep meant when he did crash it wasn't as bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Girl- I got you. It sucks but it WILL get better.

Ideas from Felicity and I:
    So we CONSTANTLY changed up noise- dryer noise, white noise mixed with ocean, blow dryer on the real shitty nights the vacuum noise worked but I have a tough time sleeping through that. We layered sounds using the sleep pillow app. I have a couple playlists on Spotify I can share with you if you want music wise, both lullabies and mainstream chill music. We did knees to chest and bicycles. Past that a lot of trading off with eachother- and remember NO expectations- I coped the best by acknowledging no matter how much I planned or tried, my baby just isn't predictable in that state.
  • Options
    Oh I'm having flash backs to my DD :-( you've got my empathy, over tiredness is hard work.

She did grow out of it if that's any comfort at all! Unfortunately the only way i could catch her before she became over tired was to hold her during nap times. Which is inconvenient and annoying (especially as I had a 2 year old at the time!) but I used to either sit down and cuddle her or have her in a sling whilst I did things in the day. At night, the thing that I found helped was a really soft blue night light, so if she woke up she was able to see me. I almost lost my shit during this time though, it's so hard not getting proper sleep and walking around like a zombie. Eventually I gave up EBF at night and she would have pumped milk, so that my DH could help.

If none of the advice you get helps, please know that time will be your friend! Before you know it, you'll be freaking out trying to get him out of bed and ready for school in time and he will just be ignoring you and snoring away!

• Options
    It breaks my heart, but sometimes when LO is overtired, letting her fuss it out for 15 minutes in her RnP knocks her right out. After 15 minutes if she's still fussing I try everything PP have stated, especially the car rides/ chest naps after BF. My LO really likes vibrations so sometimes massaging her with a handheld vibrating massager works wonders. Or using the vibration feature on her bouncer/ RnP. Im still in the bad stage so I don't know for sure that it gets better, but I hope it does!
  • Options
    My son is just over a month and once week 3 hit he refused to nap. He would take 10-20 min naps and be wide awake. He would then get cranky because he didn't nap. I thought I was going to pull out my hair! Started using gas drops but I didn't notice a change. My sister got him a RNP for Christmas, so I put a sound machine under it (the RNP sounds aren't very soothing IMO) and it has worked wonders! He still has days where it's hard to get him into drowsy mode because he's super curious about everything. Also, do you swaddle for naps? I wasn't for a while because I wanted him to associate swaddling with nighttime routine. But before the RNP I had some success with swaddling him for naps. Good luck!
  • Options
    Pretty sure our kids call each other to coordinate attacks. It's super easy for Zeke to get overstimulated so then he just screams. Then he's nearly impossible to put to sleep. My husband and mil took him from me yesterday and sent me to bed because I was just so overwhelmed.

I've noticed that days where I hold Zeke more, he sleeps a little better at night. I get nothing done during the day because I have to hold him but at least he's a little more restful at night now. I'll usually try to have him sleep on his own for one nap so I can at least get something done but even then he doesn't always stay asleep.

I have to regularly switch up little things of how I put him to sleep because he gets wise to the fact that something like a certain white noise sound puts him to sleep and he was fighting sleep so he'd get upset.

Right now he won't calm down or fall asleep for me. He will for others but not for me. Not even nursing to sleep. Sucks so much.
  • Options
    I've found the combination that works best for us is colic calm + his sleep sheep. Last week he wasn't sleeping more than 45 minutes at a time without being held. This week he's been taking 2 one hour naps and one 3.5 hour nap every day in his crib! It's magical. We're also getting one 4-5 hour stretch at night. He spends the rest of his time on the boob though.
  • Options
    @rachswi i think there may be a correlation too between holding londuring the day and the overstimulation/overly tired issues we have had at night. Today I am wearing baby all day...except for play time and will test the theory tonight!
  • Options
    For those of you that wear baby during the day, are you able to actually get stuff done? I've been contemplating trying it.
  • Options
    I've been using the 5S's to get Chuck to sleep. Swaddle, side lying, swaying, shushing and sucking. How long he will sleep is hit or miss.
  • Options
    For those of you that wear baby during the day, are you able to actually get stuff done? I've been contemplating trying it.
    Yes, best thing ever. I feed him play with him, and when he starts fussing I put him in my wrap and he falls asleep within 5 min. Then I can do laundry and dishes. 
  • Options

Yes. Mostly playing with my 3.5 year old, but it's very handy and baby sleeps or is happy the entire time.
  • Options
    How are you guys getting the baby to fall asleep in a carrier consistently? I've been able to a couple of times, but usually she just screams when I put her in. She hates to be held into someone's body and cries usually unless she's facing outward. I use a woven wrap and I think she's still too little to face out. Anytime I set her down she wakes up instantly and it's so hard to get her to go to sleep that I rarely try setting her down anymore so I'm getting absolutely nothing done.
  • Options

How are you guys getting the baby to fall asleep in a carrier consistently? I've been able to a couple of times, but usually she just screams when I put her in. She hates to be held into someone's body and cries usually unless she's facing outward. I use a woven wrap and I think she's still too little to face out. Anytime I set her down she wakes up instantly and it's so hard to get her to go to sleep that I rarely try setting her down anymore so I'm getting absolutely nothing done.

I have to move around in the beginning to get him to settle. Get on YouTube and look up some different holds. She might not be happy with the particular position.
    If I walk around for 5 minutes mine passes out right away.
    And facing out isn't very good for their hips. You can back carrier but they need to have very good head control first.
  • Options
    That's what I forgot to mention @angelinthepit23. Spawn likes his swaddle about the same amount that I like being in the recliner all night. Which is a "NOPE, fuck this sucks so bad" amount.
  • Options
    Hi,

My dd gets overtired too and was up from 1-5am last night. But she slept the entire day away. Literally slept from 5am-11pm only waking up to eat and for diapers. She is 10 weeks now and like what a pp mentioned if all her needs have been met and she is still crying even though I am holding her, I let her cry it out for 15 minutes and she falls asleep on her own in her crib. I know that method is not ideal for everyone not even me but I was so sleep deprived and desperate. Also, I find that giving her a bath helps calm her down for the night. Hope this helps! I'm with you at the end of my ropes and it's so hard on week days when I have to get her to daycare before work on 3-4 hours of sleep...that is the worse and coffee is my best friend! The only way I get through the day. Hang in there!

FTM due 11/06/2015
    Married 09/21/2013
  • Options
    @angelinthepit23 yes! Its a godsend! I can clean the house, do my makeup and hair, get the mail, let the dog out...it keeps me totally mobile!

@doodleoodle I had the same issues when I first started. I use the moby and the ergo. I have learned to move and bounce a bit to keep Lo from fussing initially. She also has to be in a good mood...shoving unhappy baby into the carrier is traumatic for all involved!

If LO is yawning I'll preemptively get her into it and finish up some funny faces and looking in the mirror with her to avoid getting to the point of her being overly tired. Once asleep she sleeps so soundly I always have to rouse her.
  • Options
    I learned with my daughter to watch for sleepy cues and with the very first one I had to start the nap / bedtime routine. If I missed the first few cues she got overtired and it made nap and bedtime brutal.
    DS is still just 4.5 weeks so we don't have much of a routine but I still watch for yawns and take action.
    Those early cues can be subtle but if you pay close attention for a few days you'll see what they are for your LO.
  • Options
    Check out moms on call, I saw the book mentioned on the December board and bought it. Short read but a lot of good tips around sleep training by age. Goal being to have the baby sleeping through the night between 8 and 12 weeks.
  • Options
    I just bought the Moms On Call book after a recommendation from a friend. Another mommy on here is using it as well with good results. I'm excited for mine to get here. Glad to hear it's a short read because all the other books that were recommended to me were LONG! I barely have time to eat, drink and pee-I can't read a novel!
  • Options
    All of what you just said @pontot31 our babes are only in this stage for a short amount of time. Is it REALLY that big of a deal that we're not sleeping much. I was warned multiple times when we found out we were pregnant to enjoy sleep while I can. I had 9 months to prepare for this whole sleepless night thing
  • Options
    I plan on using it as a building block. I'm constantly second guessing myself if what I'm doing is right so it's a lot easier for me to see what a schedule should look like and then modifying it to fit him as needed. I would never deny my baby food if he were hungry. I don't care how many times I have to get up each night to take care of him, I'm using it more for a daytime routine to make it an easier transition once I go back to work and my sister is here with him.
  • Options
    He needs to sleep more. That advice "keep baby awake during the day so they'll sleep at night" is so false! The more tired a baby is the more they're awake and they more fussy they get. As for getting him to sleep honestly when my LO gets like this I lay her on her stomach. I know you're not supposed to BUT I only do it during the day during naps and if I'm in the room with her. She takes 2.5-3hr naps and I keep her awake between feedings for 45-60 minutes each time she wakes. This imcludes holding, tummy time, feeding everything. When she wakes i let her sit for awhile, then some playtime then feed her. Then back to nap even if she is alert and happy. They need sleep and alot of sleep. I promise he'll sleep better at night if he gets more sleep during the day. It aggravates me to no end when people tell me to keep her awake I want to that punch them lol.

Hope your little man gets better soon...for your sake and his! :wink:

• Options
    Agree. You may need a reset few days where you let him sleep in car seat and drive around, while being held, etc. babies can get fatigued. I second the awake time around 1 hour ( feeding and then play) and we still swaddle for naps ( even newborns who protest will finally like--- is LO is super fussy we swaddle in muslin blanket ( still has a little give), pop in paci and lay in crib with white noise) and he invariably will fall asleep. Naps no longer than 2 hours and no longer than 3 between feeds and slightly shorter in evening. Bathing nightly ( even using water) and night lotion has helped and making a big formula bottle of 4-5 oz at 8:30-9 pm lets him sleep 6+ hours and has let me start banking breast milk at that feed. This too shall pass
  • Options
    I really wish we would drop the judgment. I'm using Moms on Call, which, as I've mentioned before, was essentially the same schedule that my pediatrician (you know, a trained professional) recommended. I believe we should all do what we and our doctors feel is best for our own child. If you don't want to sleep train, that's your prerogative. My sanity is saved and LO is "thriving" just fine. I'm feeding him just as directed and he's growing wonderfully.

For OP, I would certainly recommend some type of routine for the day, as well as a bedtime routine. I'm having excellent luck w nighttime sleeping, but I, too, am having some trouble w naps. I appreciate the advice on this thread and plan to try some of the tricks suggested. I just started baby wearing today, and it was pretty amazing. LO is actually down for a nap right now after I wore him for about 30 mins.
  • Options
    @Pontot31 I don't think anyone was suggesting we starve the children or skip feedings to get more rest, I doubt that would work anyhow. The book helps you establish a routine, which can obviously be modified as babies learn through association and repetition. It's actually very similar to what @peachesnpearls described around proper daytime behaviors, napping and a nightly routine.
  • Options
    I agree with having a bedtime routine, but I'm totally against any sort of sleep training at this age.

Although I just did some research (aka alert enough to google) and realized that this is the peak of fussiness AND a growth spurt. No wonder my entire household is miserable.
  • Options
    Peanut1128Peanut1128 member
    edited December 2015
    I totally agree with you that you should not set a hard limit on feedings. My son was in the NICU after birth for feeding issues and the 30 minutes was quoted to us many times. After that point, the baby expends more calories than they are taking in (or so we were told). My son is a slow eater and has a cleft lip so we let him decide when he is done with a bottle, which normally takes 45 minutes.
    The NICU runs on a 3 hour schedule of changing and feeding as do many day cares, so I think that's why the author suggests it.
  • Options
    GoogleMD said:

@Pontot31 I don't think anyone was suggesting we starve the children or skip feedings to get more rest, I doubt that would work anyhow. The book helps you establish a routine, which can obviously be modified as babies learn through association and repetition. It's actually very similar to what @peachesnpearls described around proper daytime behaviors, napping and a nightly routine.

I have read mom's on call and they only allow a 2 month old to eat for 30 min every 3 hours. If you follow their direction then you stop feeding at the 30 min mark and they don't eat again for 3 hours.
    At this age infants should be able to eat on demand which may fluctuate with their body demands. LO will naturally start sleeping longer at night once they put on some weight and their stomachs get a little bigger.
    This. Rules on how much an infant should eat and when are wrong. There's no way to even argue about it.
    You want to "train" your 6 month old, ok. Maybe. But a new baby, that's just cruel.
  • Options
    Pontot31 said:

GoogleMD said:

I have read mom's on call and they only allow a 2 month old to eat for 30 min every 3 hours. If you follow their direction then you stop feeding at the 30 min mark and they don't eat again for 3 hours.
    At this age infants should be able to eat on demand which may fluctuate with their body demands. LO will naturally start sleeping longer at night once they put on some weight and their stomachs get a little bigger.
    This. Rules on how much an infant should eat and when are wrong. There's no way to even argue about it.
    You want to "train" your 6 month old, ok. Maybe. But a new baby, that's just cruel.
    LO is eating plenty. He weighs 12 lbs at almost 7 weeks. He eats about 28-30 oz of formula a day. And as far as the book suggesting you stop feeding after 30 mins, he never takes more than 20 to eat, so it's not like I'm snatching the bottle from him before the poor child is full. It's my understanding that around 11-12 lbs, babies no longer need a middle of the night feeding, and my baby just happens to already be at that point before the two month mark. I'm just not a fan of the insinuation (read: accusation) that we are mistreating our LOs, but you're entitled to your opinion. Again, I'll just heed the advice of medical professionals rather than random person on the Internet.
  • Options
    11-12 lbs babies are not always ready to sleep through the night. My 13lb baby wakes every 2-3 hours to feed. Before I feed him I always try to rock him back to sleep, but he legit wants food.
  • Options
    Elyse1384 said:

SJFTCA said:

Pontot31 said:

GoogleMD said:

LO is eating plenty. He weighs 12 lbs at almost 7 weeks. He eats about 28-30 oz of formula a day. And as far as the book suggesting you stop feeding after 30 mins, he never takes more than 20 to eat, so it's not like I'm snatching the bottle from him before the poor child is full. It's my understanding that around 11-12 lbs, babies no longer need a middle of the night feeding, and my baby just happens to already be at that point before the two month mark. I'm just not a fan of the insinuation (read: accusation) that we are mistreating our LOs, but you're entitled to your opinion. Again, I'll just heed the advice of medical professionals rather than random person on the Internet.
    Ok now the 11-12lb thing couldn't be more wrong. My DS was born at 9lb and already weighed 12lb before month 2. He was by no means ready or able to STTN by then. And what about babies born even larger? Does anyone really expect a week old baby born at 11lb to sleep through the night? Nope. More than weight goes into that ability.

Your response comes off as incredibly condescending for someone who doesn't want others to be "judgmental". Many STMs are well equipped to offer advice and encouragement on raising children as ohhhh...we have already done this. Women come here for support and asking for advice and many of us are happy to offer it up. A month old baby not sleeping through the night or not being on a "schedule" are far from medical issues. So yeahhhh... We are well equipped to chime in just as your pediatrician and books by "experts" can have an opinion too. So let me ask you, if you have a male OB and he tells you how your vagina should feel, does that overrule your actual experience with a vagina simply because he is a medical professional and your are not?

I'm all for going to the medical experts when necessary, but not everything in life can be explained by a book or someone with a medical degree. People sometimes put too much stock in folks with a flashy piece of paper and ignore intuition, experience and common sense.
    So much this.
    My son is just under 12 lbs at 4.5 weeks. He's nowhere near ready.

Also waking at night is more than about food. It's about comfort too. Babies need comfort around the clock.
  • Options
    Wow I feel left behind. My LO is almost 2 months and barely pulling in at 8lbs. She eats alot though so idk... :confused:
  • Options
    Elyse1384 said:

SJFTCA said:

Pontot31 said:

GoogleMD said:

Ok now the 11-12lb thing couldn't be more wrong. My DS was born at 9lb and already weighed 12lb before month 2. He was by no means ready or able to STTN by then. And what about babies born even larger? Does anyone really expect a week old baby born at 11lb to sleep through the night? Nope. More than weight goes into that ability.

Your response comes off as incredibly condescending for someone who doesn't want others to be "judgmental". Many STMs are well equipped to offer advice and encouragement on raising children as ohhhh...we have already done this. Women come here for support and asking for advice and many of us are happy to offer it up. A month old baby not sleeping through the night or not being on a "schedule" are far from medical issues. So yeahhhh... We are well equipped to chime in just as your pediatrician and books by "experts" can have an opinion too. So let me ask you, if you have a male OB and he tells you how your vagina should feel, does that overrule your actual experience with a vagina simply because he is a medical professional and your are not?

I'm all for going to the medical experts when necessary, but not everything in life can be explained by a book or someone with a medical degree. People sometimes put too much stock in folks with a flashy piece of paper and ignore intuition, experience and common sense.
    I'm actually not trying to argue w anyone. I'm not suggesting that I'm doing things right and others are doing them wrong. We are all different, as are our LOs. As far as the weight for skipping the midnight feeding, I suppose I should have added "metabolically speaking"; it's not a hard and fast rule and, obviously, not all babies will be ready to skip a nighttime feed. In fact, LO is still waking btwn 2 and 3 and we are WORKING TOWARD skipping that altogether, but I'm not going to starve him in the process. As you mentioned, women come here looking for support and advice, not ridicule and mom guilt. I simply shared my experience; it's obviously not for you, and that's fine.

• Options

Wow I feel left behind. My LO is almost 2 months and barely pulling in at 8lbs. She eats alot though so idk... :confused:

I'm right there with you! Two months and she is probably not even 8 pounds, though she eats every 2-3 hours and wakes up to eat during the night. Doc says she might just be petite and as long as she's following the weight curve not to worry, but sometimes I get worried/jealous hearing about all these chunks!