Baby Names
Options

Ellie Suggestions

My husband and I both love the name Ellie for a girl, but we want to give her a more traditional first name that she can use for more formal purposes. Her middle name would be Anne. Any suggestions other than Eloise that we could go with and call her Ellie for short?

Re: Ellie Suggestions

• Options
    Ellie is sooooo overdone but nameberry has an entire list dedicated to Ellie spin offs. Right now people are turning every e name and even things like Penelope into ellie

• Options
    I didn't realize it was overdone. I have not met many Ellie's. Maybe it's a regional thing?
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    katy0990 said:
    I didn't realize it was overdone. I have not met many Ellie's. Maybe it's a regional thing?
    It's the whole US.  It's a new trend  in the last 2-3 years and climbing faster so you probably haven't met many yet but once you start to be around lots of kids and kids activities you will see it's a dime a dozen.  You can search Ellie threads and see lots of posters are surrounded by little Ellie's and the fact the trendy site nameberry has a list dedicated to "how to get the nn ellie, is pretty telling.  Don't get me wrong, it's cute but very very trendy.

• Options
    Every Ellie I have known is Elizabeth. 

Suggestions I can think of: Elizabeth, Amelia, Eliza, Eliana, Elena or Estelle 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Ellen

August '18 April Siggy Challenge: April Showers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Eleanor
  • Options
    Eleanor, Ella, Elise

Agree with PP, there are many, many Ellie's out there.
  • Options
    I agree that Ellie is really cute, but overdone (just like Ella, Bella, etc).

In that category, I like Eliana.

• Options
    It is perfectly fine.... Overdone names are not as problematic when they are proper names IMO.
  • Options
    It's definitely overdone but still a nice nickname. My first choice would be Elizabeth, there are also many other nicknames for Elizabeth (Beth, Betty, Birdie, Liz, Liza, Lizzy) that could be used in the future as well.
    Vive Les Frasers
    Related image

Anniversary
  • Options
    I'm an Ellie and my full name is Elinor. (Ps - I'm 37. No one had the name when I was growing up!)
  • Options
    I've heard Eleanor a lot for Ellie. I like the Penelope suggestion, but there are way better nicknames for that name. Agreed Ellie is WAY overdone but at least a full name gives her choice.

• Options
    i cringe at the thought of one more Ellie!! I know an Elizabeth, Eleanor, Eliana and penelope who all go by Ellie and are under the age of two. My favorite of those is Penelope but there are such better nicknames for it like Poppy and Nelly.

• Options
    Tired of Ellie also.

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This makes me sad :( My daughter's name is Eliana and we call her Ellie for short. When we chose it, I never met any Ellies but now we bump into them everywhere. When she was a newborn, I overheard a woman call her friend Eliana and mentioned it was my baby's name, and the woman said she had NEVER met another Eliana. We have since met 2 other kids named Eliana with Ellie as the nickname  :# I still love her name though and she's the only Ellie at her preschool for now!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

• Options
    The only girl's name DH and I could agree on was Ellie, so we're going with Elena. It is a little trendy for my taste but it's not worth getting divorced over, so he'll call her Ellie and I'll call her EJ (Elena Jane).
  • Options
    I know a lot of Ellies - young girls under the age of two and dogs ....