February 2016 Moms

Who else is measuring ahead?

Hi all! I'm due feb 3rd, but it seems likely that I'll have a January baby. At my 34 week appointment, my OB said the baby is measuring a week ahead.
Curious if anyone else is measuring ahead. Were any of you experienced moms told you were measuring ahead in previous pregnancies? Did it turn out to be pretty accurate or not?

Re: Who else is measuring ahead?

• I'm measuring a couple weeks ahead. I measured a good 3 weeks ahead with my oldest but she was born 3 days after my due date (little turd lol). My midwife thinks I may actually have this baby in January, though. She thinks we may have conceived her a week earlier than what the typical calendar says and based on a few other things, she is expecting a January baby. I hope she's right!
  • Same exact thing for me. I'm 34 weeks and measuring 35 weeks. Doesn't really determine when you're gonna have your baby at all.
    Benjamin born on - 4/5/12
    BFP 12/31/14, EDD 9/08/14 ~ Natural M/C 2/21/14 at 11.5 weeks
    BFP 5/24/15 - EDD 2/4/16

BabyFruit Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • At my 31 week appointment I measured 33 weeks.
  • I'm 31 and measuring 34 :/. My dr is sending me for an ultrasound. I don't look huge, I'm wondering if it's my anterior placenta maybe causing the bigger measurement.
  • I'm 34 weeks and measuring way ahead but it's because we're having twins. Like others have said, it doesn't always mean you'll deliver early or that baby is going to be big or anything.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
                    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I'm 32 weeks, but my baby is measuring 35 weeks. He's been 3 weeks or so ahead for the last couple of months - they do an ultrasound every 2 weeks to keep an eye on it. (Luckily my midwife is also a certified ultrasound technician.) He's riiiiiight on the line of what they consider acceptable. Aside from his size, he's a healthy little guy.

Incidentally my belly is looking and feeling pretty big. As a kind of short person, I don't really think that's his fault, though. :-p

This is my first pregnancy. Everything will proceed as normal, from what they tell me, but due to his size they will probably induce me on my due date if he hasn't arrived yet.
  • Are you talking ultrasound measurement or fundal height? My fundal height was measuring 34 at 31w. My MW wasn't concerned, as that's not really the most accurate assessment of size/growth.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yep, I've consistently measured 2 weeks ahead this pregnancy. I'm 32 weeks and measuring at 34 weeks. No wonder I feel so much bigger this second time around!
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • @VitaLuna - fundal height is measuring a week ahead. But at my 32 week ultrasound a couple of weeks ago, baby was measuring in the 65th% for weight.
  • @VitaLuna - fundal height is measuring a week ahead. But at my 32 week ultrasound a couple of weeks ago, baby was measuring in the 65th% for weight.

65th percentile is an average size baby. Fundal measurement really means nothing. I wouldn't assume you will be early based on any of that.

• VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited December 2015
    FWIW, my DD measured 4lb 10ish (I think?) oz on ultrasound the day before she was born at 6lbs. Some of those 6lbs were fluid weight from blouses, but she still was probably a good pound over what the u/s estimated. She always measured right on for fundal height, but they "diagnosed" her with IUGR (based on serial ultrasounds). We'll see how this one comes out!

• I'm measuring at least a week ahead .
  • pbtoastpbtoast member
    edited December 2015
    No one has told me one way or another, except early on when it's a little more relevant whether the baby is measuring "ahead" or "behind" (like, 6W vs 8W). Since babies are born all different sizes, I would assume it's not super important at this point unless there's an issue with your fluid levels affecting your fundal height or something. But I'm no doctor.
  • pbtoast said:

No one has told me one way or another, except early on when it's a little more relevant whether the baby is measuring "ahead" or "behind" (like, 6W vs 8W). Since babies are born all different sizes, I would assume it's not super important at this point unless there's an issue with your fluid levels affecting your fundal height or something. But I'm no doctor.

IMO measuring ahead is usually good. It means you get your baby sooner... Right? :sweat_smile:
  • VitaLunaVitaLuna member
    edited December 2015

pbtoast said:

IMO measuring ahead is usually good. It means you get your baby sooner... Right? :sweat_smile:
    Definitely not true. And because you're hopeful that you'll go early, you'll probably end up delivering at 41wks! ;)

• pbtoast said:

Again, not a doctor, but I really don't think that's how it works...
  • pbtoast said:

pbtoast said:

Again, not a doctor, but I really don't think that's how it works...
    I know it's not! I just wish it was true! (In the safest way)
  • pbtoast said:

No, it doesn't mean that AT ALL. It means nothing. I encourage you to speak with your doc so they can explain this to you.

• @g8trkim I know it doesn't mean that, they've explained to me in detail it won't really affect anything in my case. I just WISH it worked that way. I want my baby girl.
  • @g8trkim I know it doesn't mean that, they've explained to me in detail it won't really affect anything in my case. I just WISH it worked that way. I want my baby girl.
    Gotcha! Best of luck.

• I'm also measuring ahead and baby boy was approximately 4.9 lbs 2 weeks ago based on the u/s
  • Wishful thinking I guess. Although my son came a month early, so who knows.
    If I had a choice, I'd go at 38 or 39 weeks. It was scary having a baby at 36 weeks, even though he was fine.
    It's just getting to that super uncomfortable point in the pregnancy when everything hurts all the time.
  • I've been measuring a week ahead for almost 3 months now. I've always measured ahead through most of my other pregnancies and didn't go into labor any sooner, with the exception of my induction which wasn't due to baby's size.
  • I measured a week ahead with DS1. Ended up being induced. This baby I have been measuring 7-10 days ahead. Not expecting to go early either. It's better not to get your hopes up and still be pregnant at 41 weeks.
    BabyFruit Ticker image
  • purpletulippurpletulip member
    edited December 2015
    There's a difference between your fundal height (taken on your belly by tape measure) and babies measurement (via ultrasound).
    I don't think either tells you much info as far as whether baby will come early or not, although the measurement of the baby means more than fundal height.
    Some babies are born bigger and others are smaller. Keep in mind that anticipating birth earlier than your due date can set you up for disappointment!

ETA: to answer your question, this baby is measuring a week ahead but my fundal height is measuring 2 weeks early.

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Pregnancy Ticker
  • Like pps said, it doesn't really mean anything. With my first, my fundal height was always on track and they estimated him to be 6-7 lb range right before my induction. He was born 8lbs 11oz.
    September Sig challenge: Fall
    imageimage
  • I've been consistently measuring 2-3 weeks ahead and baby has been measuring 2 weeks ahead via ultrasound for the last month. Though based on my dating scan, my dates are accurate and doctor just thinks we have a healthy sized baby.

The only indication I have of going early is a positive FFN test...which is notorious for being wrong. And I hope that it is.
  • I have been measuring 2 weeks ahead by ultrasound and 2-3 weeks ahead by fundal height.

• As a funny side note... They told meat the last appt that they already thought this LO would be bigger than DD (who was 6lbs). My mom relayed this to my grandma, who pulled me aside very concerned yesterday because she "heard this baby was already over 6lbs" and was very worried that the doctor was going to let me go to my due date and "let that baby grow to over 12lbs". Ha!

• I am too. I'm 34 weeks and I'm measuring two weeks ahead, she's 6lbs already...65th percentile:) my lil cuppie cake already has fat roles haha
  • I am too. I'm 34 weeks and I'm measuring two weeks ahead, she's 6lbs already...65th percentile:) my lil cuppie cake already has fat roles haha

Ha! My son was 6 lbs when he was born at 36 weeks. I think his sister's going to be much bigger.
  • Mine is measuring 3 weeks ahead and his head and abdomen were in the 98th percentile at 29 weeks. I go back on the 13th for another ultrasound and they'll decide thence if I'm going to need a c-section.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Latina211508Latina211508 member
    edited December 2015
    With my first three babies I always measured ahead by at least a few days. Which is normal. With my fourth baby every ultrasound I have been measuring literally up to his due date. All my other three arrived after EDD. I'm expecting this baby to come after his EDD as well.
  • Mine is measuring 3 weeks ahead and his head and abdomen were in the 98th percentile at 29 weeks. I go back on the 13th for another ultrasound and they'll decide thence if I'm going to need a c-section.

@DrillSergeantCat I have the same exact numbers! I went back for a follow up ultrasound and the technician left for the day. Then they give me papers for the c-section. Part of me feels like they are pushing it. I go back on the 31st to get an ultrasound I am hoping that he has evened out and I won't need a c-section. Please keep me updated. My sisters had big babies and my husband was a big baby and none of them were ever told to have a c-section because of the size.
  • I'm 33 weeks but I am measuring 34 weeks, my original due date is Feb 11th. Our DS has been heads down since 25 weeks, but my Doctor thinks he'll be pretty close to the original due date.
  • Im measuring a week ahead. My OB told me today that I've been a cm ahead at every appointment so he is growing good and consistent so nothing to be concerned about. I have no idea on estimate of size/weight though. I wish I could find that out!
  • I'm also a week ahead. Due on the 2nd! 6 pounds and counting!
  • I just walked out of a growth scan which was ordered because my belly is measuring 2 weeks ahead. But fluids are great and little Summer measures perfectly and is right on time with weight and size. I guess my belly is just a little fat in addition to being 32 weeks pregnant...

• I just walked out of a growth scan which was ordered because my belly is measuring 2 weeks ahead. But fluids are great and little Summer measures perfectly and is right on time with weight and size. I guess my belly is just a little fat in addition to being 32 weeks pregnant...

What's a growth scan?  A type of ultrasound?