July 2016 Moms
Options

High Risk Mommas

2»

Re: High Risk Mommas

• Options
    Getting nervous for our A/S on the 14th. Our regular perinatologist is out that week we we're seeing one of his partners. A preliminary A/S at almost 16 weeks showed a black spot on baby girl's brain area (I was watching like a hawk) but our doctor said he was entirely unconcerned at that point. We've had an ultrasound for heartbeats since then and both babies are looking good. Just hoping and praying for an uneventful A/S in two weeks. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    mckcak23mckcak23 member
    edited March 2016
    I have a regular ob apt tomorrow and MFM once a month. Just hoping for an uneventful apt tomorrow. My dr just went on maternity leave so I will see one of her partners. 

Eta at my last MFM apt we talked about the lovenox shots and he suggested that it hurts less closer to the belly button. I had gotten in the habit of going out more. I think he was right (or at least my mind agrees). Just food for thought. 
  • Options
    edited March 2016
    Adding to this board. I have a bicornuate uterus, so her space is pretty limited in there. It just means extra scans and monitoring, no big deal. I'm more stressed because I have to switch OB's for the *second* time this pregnancy, and I'm afraid no one will take me. I switched the first time because my insurance changed to a carrier that would not cover my previous OB. Now I'm switching because I just got promoted (yay!), and they're having hubs and I do a very last second move across the state. Stressed? Pffftt.
  • Options
    Also joining the high-risk momma's club.  Got promoted to high-risk yesterday after the anatomy scan discovered I have a circumvallate placenta coupled with a bleeding disorder (factor VII deficiency). Although, baby boy looks perfect right now at least. Am pretty scared about the circumvallate placenta because there isn't much information out there at all.  Will be visiting the MFM doc in a couple of weeks...hopefully I will get some more answers. Maybe we can start doing a high-risk check-in on here? 
  • Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to this board as well. I'm 20 weeks and have been seeing a MFM doc since week 17. At 15 weeks, my OB ordered a consultation with a MFM doc because I have an autoimmune disease (sarcoidosis) and they weren't sure how / if it could impact my pregnancy. She also had some additional blood drawn at that visit that was missed at my 11 week appt. Needless to say, that blood work raised some red flags (antibodies in my blood) so my OB released me to MFM permanently. The doc at MFM ran some more tests and thank goodness they came back negative --- otherwise this condition could have caused the baby to have some heart problems.

They are still monitoring me due to my sarcoidosis. I feel good now about going to MFM knowing that they are prepared for just about anything and so far have taken really good care of me. The peace of mind from extra ultrasounds and appointments has helped me tremendously. I know the initial shock of being considered high risk is terrifying --- I was a wreck --- but I have come to terms with it and appreciate the added care for sure.

I wish all of you mommies the best of luck, happy healthy pregnancies and of course babies!!!
  • Options
    Any second time high risk mommas?  So my first was small gestational weight (4lbs and 13oz).  She was preterm but not by much 36 weeks and 5 days.  They are assuming she was small due to my high blood pressure in my last pregnancy.  Well, I'm now 19 weeks pregnant and really not showing at all.  I assumed I'd show sooner with a second child.  I'm scared this one is small too.  I mean I was a tiny dot when I was born (5lbs 3oz and 12 days early), but I'm concerned.  I have my a/s on Wednesday so I'll obviously ask them.  Just wondered if any other mommas experienced small babies?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Update on me. Had our a/s on the 29th and this kiddo is stubborn. Because she was head down and showing her spine the tech couldn't measure her heart correctly or see the kidneys. As far as sex the legs were crossed and the cord was smack in the middle. The teck could kinda see what possibility might be a vagina but no obvious boy parts so it's at 90% girl. I go back within 6 weeks to try again to measure what the tech couldn't see. 

I also have officially been moved from midwife care to an OB. My husband and I had a long meeting with her on Wednesday and it's been decided that I will be put on insulin overnight to control my fasting numbers. My only concern with medication is because I was diagnosed so early on in this pregnancy I will need to up and up the dose as I get closer to my due date. But that outweighs having uncontrollable gestational diabetes.
  • Options
    @Pankers this is my 3rd high risk pregnancy.  Each pregnancy is different and each one had different 'issues'.
  • Options
    @mechelita44: I've had a couple patients over the years with sarcoidosis that have had or gone on to have healthy babies! It's scary getting the "high risk" label, but it sounds like you are in great hands, and they are monitoring you closely for any issues that may arise! Good luck! 

Thinking about y'all and everything going on. It is tough, but we are past or almost past the half way mark! Hope everyone is doing well. 
  • Options
    Checking in for the first time! I'm technically high risk with Crohn's and blood clot history so I've been seeing a high risk doctor since week 8, but so far so good! Taking my lovenox shot and continuing my regular treatment and hoping for a smooth ride for the rest of pregnancy. They have talked to me about the risk of low weight baby but so far baby boy have been measuring ahead so I guess it's not a concern for now!
  • Options
    Had my a/s today.  Baby is looking good. my placenta is not only anterior but close to previa.  Also having growth scans at 28, 32 and 36 weeks as baby was small gestational age last time.  Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Oh no! I really thought I had joined the high risk momma group but it must have been a pregnancy hallucination. I am high risk due to type 2 diabetes and mild cerebral palsy on my left side. I love our OB as she's never fat shamed me nor led me to believe I will have anything but a perfectly healthy pregnancy, despite pre-existing conditions. At our A/S on Monday, we were quite relieved to see that everything is progressing wonderfully and baby has no markers for any abnormalities! She's weighing in in the 37th percentile which seemed to please my doc. I just loved watching her suck her thumb! :) Sending all of you and your littles my very best. We've got this, ladies.
  • Options
    Ugh here I am again! I had to go get blood work done today bc I've had a lot of itching in the last few days. I had intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy with ds and a 70% chance of that again with subsequent pregnancies. My first sign with ds was a lot of nocturnal itching ESP on my feet and legs and that kicked up a few notches last night unfortuneately! I had liver function tests and bile acids drawn today. My OB already told me to start taking the meds for it called ursodiol. My liver function tests should be back tomorrow but the bile acids take almost a week and they are the most definitive for a diagnosis. I'm sad :( I was really hoping to have a healthier pregnancy this time around. 
  • Options
    I am high risk for twins, possible hypertension, previous LEEP procedure and placenta previa. Initially I was worried about it all but so far the babies are great and I have to say I love getting so many scans. I see both high risk doc and my OB. Since things have been going well I got to drop from every 2 weeks with the high risk doc to every 4. Each visit has made me feel a little better. And while my BP is still high at the docs office, I take it daily on my i.e. and it is always normal so I guess I have a little white coat syndrome. I am really trying to worry less and just take care of myself so things can stay good with my babies. All of this monitoring will just catch a potential problem early so that it can be fixed easily!
    Power to positive thinking. 
  • Options
    I'm high risk as well. I'm a FTM and super nervous. I have quite a short cervix (1.9 cm) and am now being monitored and on vaginal progesterone. I was diagnosed at 20 weeks and luckily at my 21 week ultrasound my cervix hadn't gotten any shorter. My next ultrasound will be at 23 weeks to check my cervical length. I'm not sure if the doctors I'm seeing are monitoring me enough, but I've been "taking it easy" and following all instructions they've given me. I also have an anterior placenta and she's still breach. So far everything about baby girl is progressing normally and she's moving around in there a lot. Yes, power to the positive thinking! I'm keeping all of us high risk mommas in my thoughts. 
  • Options

digging this thread up...

wondering how many times you ladies are being asked to come in for appointments now... my doc wants me coming in twice a week (32 weeks) now for fetal monitoring and an ultrasound. I'm high risk due to cystic fibrosis but my lung function is in the high 90's, baby has been perfect and no other causes for concern...

• Options
    WevilleWeville member
    I'm at the doc every other week and an ultrasound the week in between. After my next appointment I'm on weekly check ins, I'll be 35 weeks then 
  • Options
    DarkCatDarkCat member
    I started going every two weeks since like... forever it seems (I think 24 weeks) Next week I'm 32 and I will start my NST twice weekly. It sucks.
  • Options
    @DarkCat what's their reasoning with the twice a week NST? Mine is also having me come in twice weekly... 
  • Options
    DarkCatDarkCat member
    @DarkCat what's their reasoning with the twice a week NST? Mine is also having me come in twice weekly... 
    I have gestational diabetes. I take nightly insulin to control my fasting numbers but I'm diet controlled for meals.
  • Options
    Sometimes it's just specific to your situation. There was a point when they were going to switch me from weekly NSTs to daily ones.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    🌈  Preemie 2016  🌈
    ♥ Stillborn 2015 

• Options
    elldelelldel member
    30+3. Appointments bi-weekly. Weekly NST start at 32. 
  • Options
    I have a pending/early Pre E dx. They wanted me to come in every week for now. We will see how long that lasts though.
  • Options
    I start twice-weekly appointments at 32 weeks (I'm 31 now). One is biophysical profile & one is non stress test. 
  • Options
    foxa319foxa319 member
    I've been going in twice a week now since 28 weeks for severe cholestasis. I go on Mondays and have an nst, dr appt and labs drawn and go again on Thursdays for bpp/ ultrasound and about half the time they also do an nst if baby is being lazy and fails bpp. Growth is checked every 2 weeks at my ultrasound as with cholestasis it is common for the placenta to start degrading and crap out towards the end. This is my second pregnancy with icp but it's more severe this time. I'll be 33 weeks on Saturday and am being induced at 36 weeks on June 12th. 
  • Options
    I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes during my first trimester and have been on insulin since December. I start with appointments twice a week next week. One with my OB for an NST and one with MFM for NST and growth check since DD was measuring about 2 weeks ahead.