3rd Trimester
Options

Can I ask to be put on bed rest?

Tomorrow (Wednesday) I have my last appt with my OB and have a csection scheduled for Monday. I have been having painful Braxton hicks and also have a cold that feels like I have the flu. Ive been pretty tough this whole time, but at this point I am flat out miserable. I've tried to ask my boss if I can go ahead and start my leave now, but she has not been understanding at all. I'm wondering if I'm able to ask my doctor to let me be on bed rest so she has no other option but to let me off the rest of the week.

Side note- I work in a temp position that I'm luckily enough they are letting me come back to after my leave. So it makes things a little more complicated than just going ahead and taking the time off.

Re: Can I ask to be put on bed rest?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    You can always ask! You may not get the answer you want but you have the right to ask anything you want! Good luck!
  • Options
    I agree that there is no harm in asking!!! Just because everyone deals with aches and pains doesn't mean you have to be a superwoman- and you shouldn't be made to feel guilty because you don't have a medical condition!! I think that was mommy guilt and a half!! Just ask- the worst that can happen is they say no. I wouldn't be surprised if they say yes seeing as you are going in Monday!
  • Options
    ambercakes92ambercakes92 member
    edited December 2015
    ashhsa said:

I agree that there is no harm in asking!!! Just because everyone deals with aches and pains doesn't mean you have to be a superwoman- and you shouldn't be made to feel guilty because you don't have a medical condition!! I think that was mommy guilt and a half!! Just ask- the worst that can happen is they say no. I wouldn't be surprised if they say yes seeing as you are going in Monday!

I don't see any mommy guilt, but otherwise agree with you.

OP, it's certainly worth asking but I would prepare for your doctor to potentially say no. Either way I hope your cold gets better soon.

Edit spelling
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    groovylocksgroovylocks member
    edited December 2015
    My blood pressure has been hovering around 70/40 - 85/45 ish.. Nobody knows why. I faint a fair bit. It's been going on since late in my first/early in second trimester. 

I am not on bedrest - my doctor suggested (not even insisted.. just suggested) I work from home if possible, which I did because I felt like i couldn't breathe on the freeway last week - not fun OR safe. No need for me to be At Large.

But I'm nowhere near bedrest. 

Bedrest is for moms with serious complications. 

What you're dealing with definitely sounds annoying. And if you're on your feet all day, I could see how the BHs could be hard to deal with. But talk to your doctor about strategies for getting through these last few days. 
  • Options
    Well Im on bed rest too... I've actually been in hospital the last 2 days- I just got home. And I really don't see why it's such a big deal to ask? Not everyone copes well with pregnancy- she obviously wants some time out before the baby- and if that is the only way to get it, there is no harm in asking... To each there own I suppose. But OP did you ask? And if so, what did the doctor say?
  • Options
    People can ask for help though yeah? I really don't see what the big deal is.
  • Options
    Presonally I think you are really over reacting. There is no harm in asking. Her doctor can always say no. And I'm very aware of how serious best rest is- seeing as I'm it's prisoner at the moment. I'll do whatever is best for mine and my babies health, and this muma (op) might really need a break right now for all sorts of reasons- I don't see the harm in asking for one- besides- she has either asked or not by now surely, I'm curious to know what she did- maybe she decided it wasn't worth asking?
  • Options
    KtjennksKtjennks member
    edited December 2015
    I know doctors can't legally give you written permission for your work so that your schedule is altered they will get in huge trouble for doing that and probably lose their jobs. Unless you are in a high risk pregnancy or something is of real concern for the doctors (at least that's how it is in VA). So no, your doctor won't "lie" for you or just put you on bed rest for no reason. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Perhaps OP didn't really mean "bed rest". I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she just wants a doctor's note excusing her from work until she has her C-section. I don't see the big deal.
  • Options
    Perhaps OP didn't really mean "bed rest". I'm giving her the benefit of the doubt. Maybe she just wants a doctor's note excusing her from work until she has her C-section. I don't see the big deal.
    That's what I'm hoping, too. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBabysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker