June 2015 Moms
Options

Feeding LO - December

Re: Feeding LO - December

• Options
    LO still does not seem interested in real food. Oh well.

Fingers crossed, I think my supply has recovered. I've started tracking pumping output using an app so I know for sure where I'm at. I've had an ounce surplus the last 2 days. The lactation smoothie seems to be helping and since I now have a jar of brewer's yeast to use, that is my breakfast for the near future.
  • Options
    I was inspired and we tried avocado today. She didn't hate it, didn't love it. I probably was too conservative with how much I even have her, she may not have even tasted it. She did like chewing on the spoon though, since she teething.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I let LO play with his new spoon today. No food on it yet, but I'm calling it progress. :)
  • Options
    Really jacked my back up so I'm having to find new ways to more comfortably BF. Managed tonight flat on my back with LO draped on my side or over my body with pillows supporting my arms. I still hurt though. This happens to me from
    Time to time. Hoping I can avoid a full out back spasm.
    I'm really overwhelmed with feeding LO solids. We've only done oatmeal cereal. I want to try other foods but I'm so tired (LO still wakes up quite a bit at night). It just seems easier to BF. I also have an irrational fear of her choking. I know people say French fry size but I'm still afraid I won't have in mind the right size French fry! I'm thinking of starting with some avocado. Just cut in cubes right?
  • Options
    We use Gerber organic oatmeal cereal.
  • Options
    henrytviiihenrytviii member
    edited December 2015
    Sjeff0816 said:

We use Gerber organic oatmeal cereal.

Yes, I've noticed more gas with solids. Particularly peas! I've busted out the gas drops from her newborn days and they seem to help her.

Those who are doing BLW, what foods do you plan to start with or have you started with?

Roasted veggies sticks - carrot, sweet potato, squash. Overcooked large broccoli trees. Oatmeal fingers, savory muffins, beet pancakes. We skip purées entirely, if you're been doing them you may need to be more careful about choking because that are used to letting the purees move to the back of their mouth. Meat was a big hit with our first but we don't eat meat now so I'm not sure how we'll do that. I'm really at a loss for feeding this LO. He's not sitting unassisted and he can't pick up and effectively move food to his mouth so BLW is out for now. He'll be 7 months at the end of the month, if he's not ready yet I'm thinking really runny purees and then BLW. It's so much easier.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    In terms of what pediatricians recommend, this might help. https://brightfutures.aap.org/materials-and-tools/guidelines-and-pocket-guide/Pages/default.aspx
    Under part 2, infants, there is feeding information. I haven't read this but will if I need a plan B when we likely nix baby led weaning.
  • Options
    @423ang I call breaking even a win!
  • Options
    @alcrimmins best picture ever!

Tried a bit of bananas with her cereal... Obviously a bigger hit than squash lol
  • Options
    So we tried peas for 3 days and yesterday I noticed these dots mainly above her lip. Today it's over here. I didn't think of the food being an issue maybe until now. I gave her green beans for the first time this morning but I think she was like this before. Anyone have this sort of reaction related to foods??
  • Options
    @caitlincunn Yikes! I'd stay away from peas for awhile and watch her really close the next time you give her green beans. Hopefully it's not bothering her!
  • Options
    @alcrimmins it doesn't seem to be bothering her ! She just had a bath and is now eating before I put her down for bed. Hopefully it will look better tomorrow and I can figure out what it is from
  • Options
    swaugh14 said:

We're giving food a break for a few days before we try again. We've tried several things and she is locked lips! Guess my kids not into it. Oat cereal it is.

We have had a similar reaction whenever he manages to really get a taste of something, either if he brings it up to his mouth or if we touch his mouth with food. We're now just giving him oatmeal fingers that we brings to his mouth and gums for a second or two, drops, tries again. Not actually something he can eat, bite etc. We'll wait another 1-2 weeks and try veggies again. He doesn't seem ready and he's satisfied with milk. We started a little formula this week so that's maybe enough new things anyway.
  • Options
    I'm terrible at the search function, can someone point me in the right direction for a good lactation smoothie? TIA!
  • Options
    @slr1229 I used the first one that came up on google, but I now have it memorized:
    1 cup almond milk
    1 banana
    1/3 cup oats
    1 T flaxseed (I use pre-ground)
    1 T brewer's yeast
    1 T peanut butter
    2 T honey
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    1/2 tsp cinnamon
    1/2 cup crushed ice

Put wet ingredients in blender in first, then dry and top with crushed ice. Blend and enjoy!

It's actually really good. I'm going to find some dairy free protein powder to add to it this weekend.

You can find ground flaxseed and brewer's yeast in most large grocery stores in the health food section. Brewer's yeast is typically near nutritional yeast, in case you need help finding it. Ground flaxseed is usually near the gluten-free baking section or specialty flours.
  • Options
    Gosh I must have a very non picky eater on my hands haha. We started organic rice cereal at 4 months and it only took her 2 or 3 bites to figure out what to do. She loves anything we put on that spoon so far as long as it's warm haha. We haven't ventured to fruits yet though, the pediatrician told us to do veggies first so she'd learn to like bitter things before we give her sweet things. So far we've done peas, green beans, squash, sweet potatoes and carrots...so the typical stuff.. Peas are the only thing that really messed with her..

And for those of you about to start on solids, I advise giving it to them early in the day, like around midday, bc if you wait any longer and they get gas, it will hit at bedtime and they won't sleep... Plus it's good to be able to watch for any other reactions while they're awake, which is what her dr told us to do.

Also, how much should I be feeding her? I usually give her probably 2tbsp of purée..is that right? I follow it with a full bottle, which she usually spits back up part of..
  • Options
    @henrytviii how do you make the oatmeal fingers?
  • Options
    Sjeff0816 said:

@henrytviii how do you make the oatmeal fingers?

Its just oatmeal and water (or breast milk or formula) in even amounts in a small flat bottomed dish, let it is out until its really mushy, the microwave for 2 minutes until it firms up. Then you can cut it in fingers.

If you want to do solids right now I'd get a book or find a really knowledgeable website. You have to be careful about how you do it so its not a choking risk. It's not the same as feeding an older baby finger food. I'm not really psyched about answering questions on this here since there seems to be a lot of hatred on BLW as a thing. I'll be the first to hate on the name, but there is a method to it, and i do believe you are putting your baby at risk if you don't do some research on this "thing". With that I'll shut up about it. Purees are good too, that's how I'm feeding this LO I think. Unfortunately combining the with how I feed my first makes me too nervous about choking so if we do purees he'll be on them for a while.

Sorry about typos in that recipe, this stupid phone won't let me edit.

@ChardeeMacDennis Thank you for that reminder, so true. For some reason as a STM I'm still super confused about how and when to feed this kid. He's just so different. But it is a short phase until they tell us what they need.
  • Options
  • Options
    She didn't want anything to do with the rice cereal. She put it in her mouth and then just drooled it all out every time. I honestly don't think she even swallowed a bit of it. We'll try again later.
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    Any BFers getting bit with LOs newly arrived teeth? It hurts! :( I've made him cry a few times now (not intentionally, but by yelping and pulling away) but he's still doing it. How long til he figures it out?? I get starting to get nervous whenever I feed him now!
  • Options
    @slynnn768 LO has no teeth but she chomped me this morning. DS was a biter and I never found a solution. I ended up exclusively pumping. If you find a solution, let me know!
  • Options
    :( thanks @Sammy K I hope it doesn't come to that as I hate pumping...but being bit is worse I suppose!
  • Options
    Our girl loved avocado today
  • Options
    I puréed the sweet potato in the nutribullet with a little water and consistency was perfect... She ate way more than expected.
  • Options

We made the rice cereal much thicker the second time around and she took it no problem. Wahoo. Thanks for your help guys.

Yeah, I made some not quite as runny cereal and I feel like it works better. Its still runny-ish, but before I felt like I might as well just pour formula in a spoon and feed it that way
  • Options

So we tried peas for 3 days and yesterday I noticed these dots mainly above her lip. Today it's over here. I didn't think of the food being an issue maybe until now. I gave her green beans for the first time this morning but I think she was like this before. Anyone have this sort of reaction related to foods??

Peas are part of the legume family. Soy, peanuts, beans and peas are all considered legumes. My 5yo old son has a legume allergy and reacts to all legumes. Just an FYI!
  • Options
    With my twins we got the okay from our ped to switch from formula to milk at 10 months, we didn't switch until closer to 11.5 months. But they were eating at least 3 solid meals a day. We mostly did baby led feeding bc they hated to be spoon fed.

With my sons experience with allergies, we are holding off on solids and will slowly introduce foods to make sure there is no reactions.
  • Options
    Thanks @laurendutch ! I'll keep that in mind. We also used a different lotion which gave her a rash when she was first born so it could be both. Thank you !
  • Options
    @caitlincunn My LO had that same looking rash this past weekend. It comes and goes, but I don't think it has anything to do with her foods. Hers was also accompanied with dark bags under her eyes.
  • Options
    Made pureed sweet potato today...super excited about it. LO grabbed onto the spoon and pulled it into her mouth (which she does with her liquid Zantac daily as well). The look on her face once she tasted it was hilarious. It was like "wait...this is terrible, what is this?" I pureed it using breastmilk to thin it too. Haha. She took two spoonfuks snd tyen started pushing the spoon away. We'll try again a few more times and then maybe try oatmeal instead.