Baby Names
Options

Just a question based off the 'resume test'

Do you think kids in a classroom are less likely to be called on or acknowledged if their name is difficult to pronounce? Being a special ed teacher, I make sure to know how my students names are pronounced, even before i meet them. Ill even practice saying it out loud. Luckily, the most I ever have is 15, but I hate to think of those teachers who have 20 to 30 kids in each class. Especially, in middle or high school when you have multiple classes.

Re: Just a question based off the 'resume test'

• Options
    i dont think a teacher will ignore a child if their name is different/hard to pronounce.
  • Options
    Don't think they will ignore but I think they will hate the first week of school trying to remember the exact pronunciation so they aren't just another person never getting the name right. At least my teacher friends say that is the worst part

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I work in a school (not a teacher though) I would never ignore them, but if I couldn't pronounce their name I may call them "sweetie" instead of their name.

I am always asking kids how's to pronounce their name and try really hard to make an effort- but sometimes will call them by a nickname or something like sweetie if their name is really difficult.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    No. I don't think so.
  • Options
    I had a friend (not close) whose child had a name I couldn't pronounce so I stopped asking her about her kid (horrible yes but I literally could not pronounce it) so I would just say "how is your daughter".... Teachers may unintentionally or intentionally avoid saying a name they can't pronounce .... Or your kid may always feel annoyed or self conscious that no one can say their name right.
  • Options
    Doesn't affect anything. I just look at them and talk directly toward them. Otherwise it would affect half of my class!
  • Options
    I usually ask if they have an easier nickname. All of them do. I think by 6th grade, they've figured out their name is difficult and have come up with one.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have 20 students and about 7 have hard to pernounce names this year. I give them all equal amounts of love and attention. I would worry more about how your baby will feel about having to constantly correct and teach people how to say and spell it throughout life.
  • Options
    I doubt it. I always noticed that my teachers/professors would right down a phonetic version of a student's name when taking the initial roll call.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    As a teacher it just takes me longer to get it right. Not a big deal though. I had the toughest time this year with the name "Elena" because I have three of them (all in different classes at least!) and somehow had never seen the name before. I'm sure it annoyed them but now it's fine :)
  • Options
    This reminds me of that Key and Peele sketch where the teacher keeps calling the kid names Aaron "A A Ron" : ) 
  • Options
    Once things get going, I don't think it makes a difference. It just makes the first week or two more challenging. It's nice when you meet a kid and can just say "oh you must be Lauren" and not have to question things.

For subs and classroom visitors, it's completely different. When I rotated around to different classes for art, the kids names were in their desk, but some I just couldn't remember, so I stopped calling on them.
  • Options
    When I have students with hard to pronounce names I get really used to it. It may take a couple extra days to perfect the pronunciation, but now I pronounce the difficult names just as well as the easy ones. So, no, I don't call on them less frquently or pay them less attention.