Baby Names
Options

Is alliteration in sibling names dorky?

DD name is Sophie and a favorite girl name is Sienna. I don't plan to go Duggar and have a letter of choice (we plan to have probably one more kid). So is a second S name too corny??

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
Married July 2010
DC #1 Oct 2013
DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Is alliteration in sibling names dorky?

• Options
    Often, yes.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Are Sophie and Sienna corny?

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I'd avoid Sienna if you already have a Sophie.

Any others you are considering instead?

• Options
    Our top name was Emma but it's #1 in popularity. Then we decided we loved Sienna. Yesterday. lol The rest so far (it's still early on):

Norah
    Paige
    Evelyn

We like feminine names that aren't too different.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Not corny to me at all.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Options
    I don't mind it... If you want to do it just embrace it and stop questioning it.
  • Options
    I think it'd be ok but those two are too matchY IMO.
  • Options
    I don't think its a big deal.
  • Options
    My DH and his two siblings all have the exact same initials, first name and middle name. I might just be oblivious but it honestly never occurred to me until I was pregnant and began thinking about baby names. So to answer your question, no. However, I think the names are so similar that when you call for Sophia your daughter Sienna might think you are calling for her and vice versa.
  • Options
    I think Sienna is a beautiful name. Stick with it if you like it. I have seen much worse when it comes to matching names. I know a family that put -del at the end of every child's name. Lydel, Trydel, etc. that's crazy.
  • Options
    I don't think it's a big deal. 

Honestly though, I like Sophie and Emma together a lot more. Sophie is probably more popular than Emma, at least where I live. So I wouldn't worry too much about popularity. Choose what you love. 
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me. Sienna is a lovely name.
    Married 10/4/2014 (10-4, good buddy!)
    Baby Boy #1 born 1/9/17
    Baby Boy #2 EDD 11/4/18
    "It's when you know you're licked before you begin, but you begin anyway and see it through no matter what.  You rarely win, but sometimes you do."  -Atticus Finch, To Kill A Mockingbird

• Options
    I wouldn't think anything of two siblings. I would figure it was as likely a coincidence as on purpose. Three or more and I'd assume it was on purpose.
  • Options
    I'd assume immediately it was on purpose and would figure you were trying to be cute.  That being said, they're nice sibset names together.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Married: October 23, 2010

DS: 8/7/2013

#2 EDD: 6/29/2016, C Section: 6/22/2016

• Options
    mrstraxmrstrax member
    edited November 2015
    Conky3000 said:

I wouldn't think anything of two siblings. I would figure it was as likely a coincidence as on purpose. Three or more and I'd assume it was on purpose.

This.

ETA - I still wouldn't do it though, because I like the idea of each kid having their own first initial for my convenience - stockings with L and "whateverthisbabygets", etc.
    Anniversary 
  • Options
    Thanks, all!

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    It's too corny to me, even with just two.
  • Options
    I don't think it's corny since they don't rhyme or anything, they just start with the same letter. Sophie and Sienna are cute. I love the name Sienna.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think they are fine together. We have friends with an Eleanor and Emmet and they went on to name their third child Henry. Never thought anything of it.
    Mom to Emma, Noah, Isaac, Asa, Asher, Jonah and expecting baby Alice 7/16

• Options
    I think these are great together BUT would not do it if you want another child and don't plan on continuing the theme. I was the middle of 3 (rick, katie, Keith)... It always bothered me that Keith and I matched and ricks was an odd name out. That could just be an OCD thing... But also--- if you ever monogam anything... You have to do more than just "S" because they are both s... I don't know. I am very particular about matching names. But I do think those sound lovely together.
  • Options
    Avoid alliteration. Always.

Nah, I'm kidding. I wouldn't do it beyond two kids. But as long as the names don't sound similar in other ways, I wouldn't feel too squeamish hearing it.
  • Options
    I think with two it's no big deal. After that, yes it's corny.

• Options
    Thank you!

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    Why not Emily or Emilia instead? Both have the Em sound of Emma, but aren't the #1 most popular name for girls right now.

EDD for #1: 3/19/17
  • Options

Why not Emily or Emilia instead? Both have the Em sound of Emma, but aren't the #1 most popular name for girls right now.

I just don't like them. Thank you for the suggestion!!

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I know a family of Melanie, Melinda, and Melissa. I've known them 30 years and still don't know which one is which. We call them the Mels. I think it takes away from their individuality. Same with another family that names all their boys J names. I avoid calling them by name because I can never remember which one is which.
  • Options
    I know a family of Melanie, Melinda, and Melissa. I've known them 30 years and still don't know which one is which. We call them the Mels. I think it takes away from their individuality. Same with another family that names all their boys J names. I avoid calling them by name because I can never remember which one is which.
    Yikes on the three Mels. And I'm not planning on using all the same letter (all J's or all S's). I just happened to like another name that starts with an S. If another name for any subsequent children started with an S, it would be a deal breaker.

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    I think it's fine but I would assume that you like matching names and did it on purpose to be cute. Not a bad thing, but I wouldn't personally do it. I have a friend who has three kids and their names are M--(b), M----(b), and G----(g) (sorry I don't want to be identified), and the dad's name starts with "M" as well. I've never asked but I assume she did an M theme with the boys and their dad on purpose. Not my style but doesn't bother me.

Sophie and Sienna are both lovely names, but I actually prefer the sound of Sophie and Emma, despite the popularity.
  • Options
    I don't find it corny- also sienna is my all time favorite girls name! If you had several daughters all with S names it might be a bit much but two doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    I am the oldest of the J themey parents had. My youngest brother is 10 years behind me and my parents decided to go a different route than j. Our names sound funny. Of you don't plan to stick with it I wouldn't go that route this time around.
  • Options
    It doesn't bother me at all. I love the name Sienna, so pretty. And Sophie and Sienna don't rhyme or anything so I think if you love the name it would work.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Thank you!

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Ultimately, it's your decision. My parents and siblings names are :

Jesse
    Jenni
    Jenna
    Julia
    Josie
    (All 5 letters long and start with J) then
    Jane
    Joan
    Jade
    Austin

It's weird having the random A name.

Eta: I almost never got called the correct name. Not just by my parents..but by teachers, coaches, etc. it sucked.
  • Options
    I think it's fine.
  • Options

Ultimately, it's your decision. My parents and siblings names are :

Jesse
    Jenni
    Jenna
    Julia
    Josie
    (All 5 letters long and start with J) then
    Jane
    Joan
    Jade
    Austin

It's weird having the random A name.

Eta: I almost never got called the correct name. Not just by my parents..but by teachers, coaches, etc. it sucked.

Yeah, def not doing that and DEF not having that many kids. We just happened to like a name that starts wth S.

Ps: Loving "Austin" at the end LOL

Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker