May 2016 Moms

Dealing with depression at 13w 3d...

I'm having a difficult time staying positive and keeping motivated with everything. I really could use some advice on this situation as II did not deal with this with my prior pregnancy.

Re: Dealing with depression at 13w 3d...

• Have you ever had a difficult time on birth control? I don't tolerate hormonal BC well. I had to have my nexplanon implant removed because it caused depression, anxiety, and panic attacks (among other nasty side effects.) BC works because it fools the body into thinking you're pregnant. It turns out that women that don't tolerate BC very well also are likely to have a rough time during pregnancy, because it's all the same hormones at play. I had a really terrible first trimester and I wish my OB had told me to be on the lookout for signs of depression. I felt exactly the same as when I was on birth control, but I thought it was all normal pregnancy stuff. 

Anyway, all those hormones can really do a number on you. Luckily mine seemed to level off a week or so into the 2nd tri. I hope you start to feel better. It's also not a bad idea to talk to your doctor so he/she can keep an eye on you. 
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thank you for your help. I didn't have a problem with BC causing depression. I am going to talk to my doctor so they have it on record.
  • Loading the player...
  • Were you ever on meds for anxiety an/or depression? A lot of them are okay to take during pregnancy. It's not ideal, but if you're in a really bad spot it's better off for you - and the baby. I would talk to your Dr. about it and see if he/she can refer you to a psych.