Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

child proofing when moving from crib to bed

my child will move from crib to his own bed. since now he'll be unsupervised at night, I'm concerned about a few things that may pose danger, if he wakes up and wonders at night.  

The main is a banister on the second floor where the bedrooms are. My child once put a box, got on it and intended to lean over the banister. I worried about that since. 
I know many homes have banisters but I don't know if they do anything to them when the child moves from crib bed. 

His bedroom furniture is fixed to the wall, he won't be able to open windows and I'll remove the lamp. 

since this is my first, any suggestions is greatly appreciated. 
DS was born in April 2012 at 31 weeks - 45 days in NICU

Re: child proofing when moving from crib to bed

• Options
    I would make sure there is nothing he can move on his own close to the banister. Now that you say this I'm worried I am a moron because we have office chairs (on wheels) upstairs. Pushing the chairs over NEVER occurred to me! However we make sure there is nothing else around they can put over by the stairs. My youngest is not a climber so I never worried too much about it when he got a bed. My older one knows better now. We actually locked him in his room at night for awhile because I was worried about he would do. I know that isn't the best idea, but it was a which is worse type of decision. I hate that we have this open room upstairs, but I can't easily change my house.

How far did he have to move the box to do what we did? Since your child has done this you may want to put a baby gate in the door until you think he knows better.

• Options
    I would close his door or put a baby gate in the doorway so he can't wander around the house at night! That's all you have to do. And constantly remind him that he needs to stay in his bed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply! He is in general, a cautious child. He looks at kids in the playground climbing high up and say: "be careful" etc.

But this was just out of the blue. He is into building things with boxes and he just stacked a couple and then I look and he was climbing on it next to the banister. He is not a climber and has never paid attention to the banister before, and never threw toys down thru it either!
    I removed all boxes, toy storage boxes etc that can be used as climbing aids and can try the gate...
    DS was born in April 2012 at 31 weeks - 45 days in NICU
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply! He is in general, a cautious child. He looks at kids in the playground climbing high up and say: "be careful" etc.

But this was just out of the blue. He is into building things with boxes and he just stacked a couple and then I look and he was climbing on it next to the banister. He is not a climber and has never paid attention to the banister before, and never threw toys down thru it either!
    I removed all boxes, toy storage boxes etc that can be used as climbing aids and can try the gate...
    My son is extremely cautious as well and never climbs anything! He won't even step down out of the car without asking for my help!
  • Options
    If he is that cautious, he may not even get out of his bed without calling for you. Baby gate is a good idea if it will stop him. It would not stop my second child for more than 15 seconds.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017