November 2015 Moms

Induction Massage

Hello, I am due 11/20 so I am 39 weeks today.  I haven't been very active here but I have been lurking since I found out I was expecting in March.  My question is if anyone has tried an induction massage to help things along after 39 weeks and if so how did it go?  I searched it but could not find any recent threads about this topic.  I want to go into labor naturally, but due to measuring small over the last month, my OB had originally planned an induction for today (11/13) that we postponed upon my and my finance's request after having encouraging NSTs and ultrasounds for the last two weeks. I'm happy to be given some extra time for my body to kick-start labor on its own, but even so my OB does not plan on letting me go past my EDD, so I'm on a one week countdown now.  The spa I have been going to offers an induction massage as part of its pregnancy massage series, and since I had planned on one more prenatal massage anyway it sounds like a great idea to me to possibly get to avoid medical induction. Any thoughts?

Re: Induction Massage

• Honestly I put off my induction for a week I walked over a mile went home are some chocolate and had sex went into labor four hours later. I was already dilated 3 cm.
  • Acupressure! I just read about this, too. Supposedly those pressure points work, but I'm skeptical.. At the same time, I'm sure it's enjoyable! As long as the dr is cool with it why not?
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm going to try one when I hit 40 weeks. I figure at the very least, it will be nice to get a massage, and bonus if it starts labor. The prenatal masseuse is one I have been to a few weeks ago, and she works with my chiropractor.
  • I did last time a few days past my due date. It didn't do anything. Other than really relax me. But I have heard you need to go 2-3 days in a row to see an impact.
    This time I'm looking into acupuncture if I get past 39 weeks. I'm going for a VBAC and would like to go into labor on my own.
  • I'm getting acupuncture tomorrow morning to "encourage" labor. She is going to show DH some pressure points for at home and did tell me that it can take a couple times before anything happens.

I'll be 39 weeks on Sunday and my OB was talking about induction last week...guess we know she doesn't want to work in thanksgiving day!

I will let you know if it helps...also got some Clary Sage Essential Oil from my mom...this also is supposed to be a natural inducer when applied to certain pressure points!
  • We have the same due date :) My doctor has been trying to get things rushed along also. I'm only a pencil point dialated and her methods were extremely painful. She told me nipple stimulation an hour or two a day, it causes slight contractions. Also sex there's some hormone in semen that's susposed to help things along also.
  • Today 14.11.2015 is my due date. However no sign so far of my little girl appearing. The midwife suggested to try acupressure on my ankles. So for the past 4 days my husband has been pressing very firmly on my ankles. All I'm feeling is some bruised ankles and some tightening of my tummy area. I'm not sure if I've started dialating yet. But I'm really hoping labour comes on soon.
  • zchhowellzchhowell member
    edited November 2015
    I have had 3 labor induction acupuncture treatments, one labor induction massage, reflexology, pineapple juice, sex, walked over 2 miles, had spicy food, sat on birthing ball and my baby girl is just too comfortable. She is two days past due. Possible induction 11/18. Try all of it! It's worth it.
  • Thanks for all the positive responses. I scheduled the massage for tomorrow afternoon so as long as the baby doesn't come tonight (wouldn't that be great!) I'll post a follow up tomorrow letting you all know how it was.
  • How did it go?
  • It was great and very relaxing. It felt a lot like the few prenatal massages I've had done through the course of the pregnancy but she focused a lot of time and attention on the pressure points on my ankles that are supposed to stimulate the uterus. I had some pretty strong contractions during/right after that but all has been quiet since I got home this afternoon. She said she's obviously not a doctor but has been doing this a long time and her best guess would be that the baby's not quite ready yet based on how closed the pressure points were and how tight my hips were when she started. Oh well- a good massage is a good massage and if I spontaneously go into labor tonight I'll post an update!
  • Scheduled one for Saturday (I'll be 40+3), hopefully I will have to cancel it!
  • My acupuncturist showed my husband pressure points and he's been making a wonderful effort to work them out.
  • How exciting!!! Keep us posted!! I've been very interested in trying an induction massage after 39 weeks (I'm 38+2 today) and just might schedule one for next week after reading your story!
  • Thanks for the update! Might have to make this my birthday present next week so we can try and avoid that pesky induction. :)