May 2016 Moms

UO Thursday

LadySamLadyLadySamLady member
edited November 2015 in May 2016 Moms
Let's hear 'em! image

edited because gifs are hard

Re: UO Thursday

• Loading the player...
  • @LadySamLady Yay for HGTV!! That is my go-to. Two weekends ago when I was feeling really sick I watched a Flee Market Flip marathon.
  • @jessiedee13 Say it isn't so!!! :-O I will try not to hold that against you ;)
  • @yogahh I guess I missed the banning episode...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• @TXmamatobe If you don't like the board, you can leave................ :-h

Ok, totally kidding. I think we'll all get braver as time goes on. I hope.
  • My UO is along the same lines as some PPs in that I HATE Christmas music. I have no objection to Christmas in general. I actually like the lights and decorations, and I put up a tree (though not until after Thanksgiving). But the music and carols drive me bonkers - especially when every retail store starts blasting it as early as November.
  • swflJD said:

My UO is along the same lines as some PPs in that I HATE Christmas music. I have no objection to Christmas in general. I actually like the lights and decorations, and I put up a tree (though not until after Thanksgiving). But the music and carols drive me bonkers - especially when every retail store starts blasting it as early as November.

This I actually agree with. I love the holiday itself - decorating, food, movies, etc. I just can't stand the Christmas music. Surely it might have something to do with the fact there was a 7 year stretch of working in retail. Christmas music literally started November 1st. :|
  • @jessiedee13 Say it isn't so!!! :-O I will try not to hold that against you ;)

Feel free to hold it against me ;) I'm a big girl, I can take it ;)
  • @nerdymama15 yassssssss, girl, yassssss! =D>

• I'm really bad at these so I'll start with the first thing I can think of...my UO is that I am not a fan of Real Housewives! The only reality type shows I like are on HGTV.

Be cool. Don't be all like...uncool.

With that said I obviously love the housewives...but honestly, I will watch ANY reality show. They are mindless and full of drama. I don't like it in my personal life, but I like it on tv.
  • nerdymama15 I live in a state where stores over a certain size are not legally allowed to be open on Thanksgiving and Christmas (might be Easter too). Basically, the only things that are open are gas stations and some restaurants. BF starts at midnight here instead. Which I actually don't like. I much preferred stores opening at 5am Friday morning. I think that just added to the excitement of the day. I used to love going with my dad. It was often later as I did work retail for awhile so Dad and I would go out later morning when I got out of work, usually dragging my mother with us. lol

I actually don't do BF anymore as I'm not a middle of the night person and can get better deals by shopping online on Thursday or early Friday and using coupon codes, Ebates, etc.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016

• kami09 said:
    I'm really bad at these so I'll start with the first thing I can think of...my UO is that I am not a fan of Real Housewives! The only reality type shows I like are on HGTV.

Be cool. Don't be all like...uncool. With that said I obviously love the housewives...but honestly, I will watch ANY reality show. They are mindless and full of drama. I don't like it in my personal life, but I like it on tv.
    Rhony Therapy animated GIF

cat fail animated GIF

• JessicaB0627JessicaB0627 member
    edited November 2015
    yogahh said:

This is NOT about any singular person or group of people specifically, so please don't think I'm attacking. I just think, IN GENERAL, that this board is boring. I know things will pick up as our time together progresses but sometimes I check in on the board and eye roll the majority of the posts. My last bump board was always on fire and so hilarious so maybe I'm just reminiscing, who knows.

Just saying. I hope we have some hilarious times ahead of us. :-bd bets on how many sensitive people tell me that if I don't like the board I can leave?? Juuuuuust kidding. But really.

I feel like the tone of the board was set about a month ago when there were a lot of people calling everyone "rude", and a lot of thin skinned posters. I know for myself, after seeing one of our regulars getting banned for nothing, I am nervous to post anything that borders on funny/snarky incase someone takes it the wrong way. I would hate to get banned for posting a gif that rubs someone the wrong way....

----qbf----

I think the tone of all of the boards are a lot different now than they used to be. I was part of May '13 BMB and this is so different. I think a lot of the changes happened when there weren't mods anymore and the BGs took over. I do think this BMB is a little slow most of the time, but maybe that will change later.

• @TXmamatobe I get what you're saying with it being boring. I think the BGs have a lot to do with it. I got a warning for posting a gif calling someone a troll who clearly was a troll, and also had their posts removed. You just can't say anything.
    *Siggy Warning*
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Cherry starbursts are the worst.

Whaaaaaaat? They're the only ones that exist to me!

• @TXmamatobe I get what you're saying with it being boring. I think the BGs have a lot to do with it. I got a warning for posting a gif calling someone a troll who clearly was a troll, and also had their posts removed. You just can't say anything.

That's a bogus warning if you ask me...sad day. I really enjoyed my last board and hope this one picks up a little.

• Amen to the stores being open on thanksgiving. I don't even like to shop on Black Friday let alone thanksgiving too. Having worked in retail I can say it sucks that time of year... And no the people working do not volunteer. You literally have no say. Where I worked they completely blacked out time off requests the entire week of thanksgiving along with the following weekend. And EVERYONE worked. The worst would be when customers would make comments on how you should probably go home and spend time with your family... Well I would if I didn't have to be here for you... Duh.
    I got one for saying White Knight. Which is used all over TB. And there are troll gifs everywhere too..... Its a fine line. So I will stick with Beyoncé gifs and uncontroversial Ten Thing Tuesday.

cat fail animated GIF

• nerdymama15 I live in a state where stores over a certain size are not legally allowed to be open on Thanksgiving and Christmas (might be Easter too). Basically, the only things that are open are gas stations and some restaurants. BF starts at midnight here instead. Which I actually don't like. I much preferred stores opening at 5am Friday morning. I think that just added to the excitement of the day. I used to love going with my dad. It was often later as I did work retail for awhile so Dad and I would go out later morning when I got out of work, usually dragging my mother with us. lol

I actually don't do BF anymore as I'm not a middle of the night person and can get better deals by shopping online on Thursday or early Friday and using coupon codes, Ebates, etc.

I should have mentioned that I"m against them opening at midnight also.  That still deprives people from being with families b/c they have to spend Thanksgiving Day sleeping in order to be able to make it through the night shift.    I think 5am is the earliest any store should open on Black Friday. 
    I know what you mean about it being more exciting when they opened 5am or so.  When I was a kid, we'd get the Black Friday ads from the newspaper and we kids would sit in the living room and look at all the ads and make our Christmas lists while the adults were doing the food making thing.   I think the adults had us do that to keep us out of their hair b/c I don't remember ever getting any of those awesome things in the ads though lol  My mom and aunt would leave early that Friday morning to go shopping.  It was exciting. 

First Pregnancy
    • BFP: 01/25/2015
    • EDD: 09/28/2015
    • Incomplete MC: 02/28/2015

Second Pregnancy

• BFP: 09/11/2015
    • EDD: 05/25/2016
    Baby Born
    04/15/2016

PGAL
  • Cherry starbursts are the worst.

Omg someone else agrees with me!!!!
  • I feel like a lemming because I don't really have an uo of my own this week. I've been nodding my head along with the pp though!
    1. I am already over Christmas. Was still October and the stores were full of it. I get disgusted at how commercial it's all become.

Honestly feel the same way about weddings and babies to an extent. It's not about how much you spent on a dress or designer diaper bag or the perfect look of your wedding or nursery; is about family amd commitment. Don't get me wrong, I got into the details of my wedding and was a diy diva and I'll enjoy personalizing the nursery, but I'm very conscious of the fact that it's more important to figure out how I'm going to raise a little human with my husband than the prefect ceramic elephant. Ok maybe I did find my uo.

2. Black Friday - I'm over it. I've been almost injured at Walmart when a display was pushed over by a mob trying to grab DVD s. My husband pulled me back from the front just in time but the employee next to me wasn't as lucky because of the crowd. I'll shop online cyber Monday and that's it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • 1. I'm really sorry I haven't been around much lately; I've felt like crap (you all understand) and now I have a cold/asthma issues. This board has been boring and I will try to be more present! 

2. I agree with @nerdymama15 - I actually refuse to go anywhere the day after Thanksgiving until 9am because I think it's ridiculous that the retail stores make people give up time with their families to go to work on a national holiday. My SIL goes out shopping (usually to buy herself clothes) that evening and I am so so against it. Yes, I may save a few dollars but is it worth those people not getting to spend time with their families? I'd rather spend the day cleaning and setting up my Christmas decorations. Maybe go shopping that weekend or something.

3. My actual UO is I hate it when people (clients) show up 30-45 minutes late to an appointment and I'm expected to still see them. Why? It's not my fault they weren't here on time. It's not my job to sit around and wait for people to show up whenever they want. Rude.
  • schicksalschicksal member
    edited November 2015
    swflJD said:
    My UO is along the same lines as some PPs in that I HATE Christmas music. I have no objection to Christmas in general. I actually like the lights and decorations, and I put up a tree (though not until after Thanksgiving). But the music and carols drive me bonkers - especially when every retail store starts blasting it as early as November.
    You're supposed to post unpopular opinions, not the truth that Christmas music is in fact awful, especially the super old 1980s style synth music that everyone seems to like for some weird reason.

My UO is also related to music and may also be is really truth. That is, country music is terrible! Give me trance/progressive/good drum n' bass (see: Goldie) instead.
  • To go with the holiday theme, my UO is I hate Halloween and have since I was little. There is just nothing I like about it, except for the free candy part of course ;) That being said I'm a Buddy the Elf about Christmas!

I agree this board is really tame compared to other ones I've been on. :/ It almost feels like a brand new class were everyone is just getting to know each other and nobody has relaxed yet. That's my view on it at least.
  • @nerdymama15 couldn't agree more!! I worked at Starbucks for years and always respected the fact that corporate left it up to the manager as to whether to stay open for thanksgiving and Christmas. My manager ALWAYS vouched to close those two days. A couple years ago, they took that privilege away because all of the competition is open those days. They give employees time and a half and people tip big money, but seriously?! You can't make your own darn coffee for two days out of the year?! So wrong. Cannot stand anywhere being open thanksgiving or Christmas days. You forgot the butter for your mashed potatoes? Sorry. Burned the ham and need a new one? Sorry. Don't want to cook your own dinner? Eat a frozen pizza previously bought, don't flip cause you can't order your favorite pizza for your holiday meal. Gah!
  • Another UO - I think the Baby Name board here kinda sucks because it is totally dominated by a group of very narrow minded people.

I've thought this too! I don't care for a majority of the names. Then if you mention a name slightly different, not even you-neek, you get ridiculed. 
  • @yogahh Thank you!! I don't know how to mobile gif.

Also sometimes I think this should be called "Things I Don't Like" because a lot of the times they are not unpopular opinions lol
  • schicksal said:
    swflJD said:
    You're supposed to post unpopular opinions, not the truth that Christmas music is in fact awful, especially the super old 1980s style synth music that everyone seems to like for some weird reason.

My UO is also related to music and may also be is really truth. That is, country music is terrible! Give me trance/progressive/good drum n' bass (see: Goldie) instead.

I actually really, really love Christmas music. And country is my absolute favorite genre. 80's and 90's country to be specific. The new stuff is too much pop and I don't like it. I will listen to some classic rock as well. Other than that....not a fan.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Married: 1/2008 ~ DD#1: 3/2012
    TTC #2: Started 4/2014       BFP 7/30/15   MC 8/3/15       BFP 9/4/2015   EDD 5/16/2016