June 2015 Moms
Options

Family rants & raves - November

13»

Re: Family rants & raves - November

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I was told by my great aunt that my outfit is inappropriate. Someone please tell me how this is inappropriate?!
  • Options
    @JessHeppell forgot about disciplining the 4 year old... She is not yours and obviously your sister will just contradict everything you say so your only option is to keep LO within your sights.... I don't think it's ever a good idea to leave a baby on the floor out of site anyway because anything could happen regardless of what the other child is or isn't doing.
  • Options
    @KarasTwin thanks! I honestly think she was just trying to make me mad. Didn't work though, I just laughed at her.
  • Options
    @JessHeppell I second the babywearing. Then you can do things and have LO with you. Bouncy chairs are great while you shower. You can also get doll baby carriers and then maybe the 4 year old will feel like she's doing more with a baby. Tummy time can wait until you can supervise
  • Options
    @mellymar yes sorry good point... I thought she said floor not pnp..plus she also knows the 4 yo does that so it's really no longer the 4 yo fault or mistake since the adults are aware of it.
  • Options
    @ahall0358 love the outfit!!! Maybe your aunt doesn't like heels? I think you look adorable.
  • Options
    ElRuby said:

@mellymar yes sorry good point... I thought she said floor not pnp..plus she also knows the 4 yo does that so it's really no longer the 4 yo fault or mistake since the adults are aware of it.

i did say floor and unfortunately when i put him on the floor she was in the basement suite where they are supposed to live. they aren't supposed to just come up and be tyrants whenever they want, but they dont listen, she came up unannounced. :/ but unfortunately my sister wont tell her that's inappropriate.
    and my parents havent said anything about it either.
  • Options

had my LO just hanging out and doing tummy time by himself with some toys in the living room, while i was cooking with my mom in the kitchen. go out there to check on him and of course the 4 year old had grabbed him and was holding him. I kind of freak out (like worried freak out not mad) and tell her she cant do that and she has to ask to hold him, of course she gets all sad and i have to try to have her not cry (she pretty much always cries when told not to do something) later my sister comes up and i tell her about the situation and all i get from her is that there's nothing wrong with what her daughter did and that I shouldn't be so controlling. ugh. now I remember why i dont like being around my family. -_-

This is such a tough situation. Tough as in annoying, not tough as in hard to handle. My advice would be to reiterate or reintroduce the rule that the four-year-old is only allowed to hold your LO if you or another adult you trust is in the room and that she must be sitting down the ENTIRE time. Corner of the couch is usually good because it gives extra support on at least one side. Maybe only letting her hold him for five minutes at a time would be a good way of satisfying her request without allowing her to overdo it. If she wants to hold the baby and you don't have time to supervise, tell her no. End of story. If anyone tries to argue with you about this, just don't engage. If anything, all you have to say is "This is my child and I'm going to parent him as I see fit. This is not up for discussion."

To echo other PP's, it's probably also a good idea to keep your little boy in an infant carrier or highchair if you're in the kitchen. Just so there's no chance of the four-year-old disobeying you.

I know you said you don't want to rock the boat, but your sister doesn't own that house. Your parents do. And I would imagine that as your sons grandparents they would understand where you're coming from (and hopefully agree w/ you!) I'm not saying that you should parent your niece in absence of her mothers discipline but you are well within your rights to tell her that she cannot hold your baby!
  • Options
    @JessHeppell that really sucks... Any chance you could use a pnp when you are not in same room? I can't imagine a child being able to pick up your baby if she is in the pnp
  • Options
    ^^ That's a damn good point.
  • Options
    @messymolly08 thanks! That could be it.
  • Options
    @ElRuby yes sorry I wasn't clear, I meant to say that I have had some times where I have had to leave LO on the floor for a few minutes while I was in the other room. I know its not ideal, but until we got all set up with the crib I couldn't really cart the PNP up and down two floors (I mean, I COULD, but it was really impractical). So yes, its not ideal, but I've had to do it. Now, tho, the pnp is set up downstairs, so I'm good to go.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    mellymar said:

@ElRuby yes sorry I wasn't clear, I meant to say that I have had some times where I have had to leave LO on the floor for a few minutes while I was in the other room. I know its not ideal, but until we got all set up with the crib I couldn't really cart the PNP up and down two floors (I mean, I COULD, but it was really impractical). So yes, its not ideal, but I've had to do it. Now, tho, the pnp is set up downstairs, so I'm good to go.

I think we have all done this :) ... The important part is if they are safe and unable to get into anything ... I have a 4 yo so I have to be extra vigilant he is not with her unattended (he loves her a lot and does all sorts of silly and potentially dangerous things like gymnastics just to make her laugh) and that none of his toys are around like small Legos and stuff. Of course she laughs at everything he does so he justifies all of his "tricks" like jumping off the couch!
  • Options
    @JessHeppell I also have a three year old so I know it can be difficult. I also know it's not quite the same as your situation because I'm parenting him too, unlike your niece situation. The only way it works though is to set boundaries. DS does tummy time with her, which LO loves, he also plays with her and her toys in the exersaucer. He's only held her a couple of times with close supervision and know to come get me if she cries. He respects the boundaries and knows to be careful. There will be injuries in the future I'm sure...it's childhood. Maybe talk to your sister about your concerns and then sit down with your niece and set the rules and consequences. It sounds like she could use some from the sounds of it. Hang in there girl. I know things aren't easy right now and this situation only makes it worse.
  • Options
    @ElRuby so funny about te gymnastics.. My dd will do that and jump around the couch too and lo thinks it is hysterical
  • Options
    Random seperate advice @JessHeppell - we had a bad situation at church where I didn't step up as mama bear because I didn't want to hurt feelings & my pastor's wife straight up told me that when its your kid, there's no boat. It's you & them & you are their protector in all things. That gave me a confidence boost to stick with my mommy instincts & find a polite (or not so polite in the case at church bc polite didn't work) way to let people know, "this is my kid. I am the mom. End of story."
    When you're used to being a people pleaser/keep the peace person (not sure if you are - I so am), it's hard to realize YOU are the one who stands up for your LO, especially in a "single mom" case like you are rocking. The fact that your posting and asking/venting shoes you care & are a rocking mommy. Know that & own it. Good luck lady.
  • Options
    @JessHeppell are you living with your parents and your sister is also staying there? If so then I can't see any reason for you not to be standing up to the 4 year old. It's not her house so she can't rule who lives there. Tell the kid if she continues to disobey your rules about LO she will sit in the laundry. If your sister has an issue you can tell her to go jump and start looking after her. But It is your responsibility to out your LO in a safe place.