Infertility
Options

IUI tips

Hello everyone! I'm about to do my first IUI procedure this week....if all goes well. ;)

Does any one have any tips on what they did prior and following the IUI procedure?

Also, I finished femara a few days ago and I have not had any side effects. Not even any cramping. Is this normal?

Re: IUI tips

• Options
    Hi there ! Good luck ! I didn't experience any side effects with femara . I actually felt pretty good on it .

Prior to the procedure just relax ! For me my IUIs were super quick and painless ! Just like a Pap smear ... But only a little bit longer maybe ? They recommend that you have a full bladder prior . That is the hardest part of an IUI in my opinion .. Having someone put stuff down there when you feel like you are gonna pee all over them !

I have taken off of work after my IUIs but it's definitely not necessary . My doc said I could go back to work . I just took the afternoon off since the IUI seemed like a big event for me mentally . I didn't experience any pain!

If you have any questions I'm happy to answer !

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Options
    I have had 2 so far (although cannot speak to the femara question).  Ditto PP it was similar to a pap smear, although I would say slightly less comfortable.  I always wiggle my toes during pap smears (a nurse gave me that tip years ago), so I did during my IUIs.  

Other than that, relax and be kind to yourself.  I went alone for my first one and then went to work.  For my second one, it was a Saturday, so DH came with me, and I went home and relaxed afterwards.  If I end up doing IUI #3 (FX I won't...), I think I will have DH join me and take the whole day as sick leave.  I wasn't in any physical pain afterwards, but it was a lot, emotionally, and it was nice to have him to hold my hand during the procedure and chat with me while I was lying down afterwards.
    About me:
    /loss mentioned/
    TTC#1 July 2014
    dx: MFI (morphology)
    IUI #1 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Sept. 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #2 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Halloween 2015 ~ BFN
    IUI #3 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Thanksgiving 2015 ~ BFP!!
    hb 146 bpm at 7w5d
    1/28/16 ~ began to say goodbye to our beautiful baby at 11w 
    d&c, followed by cytotec
    TTCAL April 2016
    IUI #4 w/Clomid + Ovidrel Apr. 2016 ~ BFN
    IUI #5 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ CP
    IUI#6 w/Clomid + Ovidrel ~ BFN
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks girls! I've decided I'll take off the day and enjoy myself. I went for my first ultrasound today CD10 and they told me they couldn't see any maturing follicles yet. I go back on Thursday for another ultrasound. Fingers crossed!!!!
  • Options
    Hi @katharinejackson2388.  My tips would be to have your phone set up with relaxing music while you "lay" down for a bit after the IUI procedure.  I brought some earbuds as well and the nurse turned off the light so I could just relax after the procedure.  I've also seen women suggest keeping your feet and belly warm, so I made sure I had some comfy slipper socks to wear afterwards and when I was home.  FX for your follies and hope they grow over the next few days!
  • Options
    My first iui was super painful but my second one was easier than a pap. Two different nurses did them, in hindsight I feel like the first nurse wasn't trying to be gentle at all. My second iui I told the nurse I was super anxious and so she went very slow. I also went with a full bladder the second time (as ladies on this board had recommended, it was not mentioned at my clinic.) So perhaps that also helped. good luck!!!
  • Options
    No one has mentioned a full bladder. What's the reasining?
  • Options
    @junicek since the bladder sits on top of the uterus if it's full it puts pressure on it and brings it down and can flatten it out . Basically just makes the catheter insertion easier !

**BFP and loss warning**

Me: 29
    DH: 29
    Us: Married Valentine's Day, 2015
    DH: No issues.
    Me: PCOS, unexplained infertility (whatever that means!!)
    June 2015 Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    July 2015:  Medicated TI cycle: BFN
    August 2015: IUI: BFP. Chemical pregnancy :(
    October 2015: IUI: BFN
    January 2016: Egg retrieval: 10 frozen embryos!
    March 2016: FET Cycle- 2 embryos transferred!: BFP !
  • Options
    I second all the comments made- only thing to add is that my accupunturist recommended taking deep belly breaths to relax your uterus and bring blood flow to it. So while you're breathing, only let you stomach rise and fall, not your chest. Good Luck!
  • Options
    I'm glad my RE always had me empty my bladder before my IUIs-- I would hate to do it with a full bladder, especially, since they have me lie there for 10 minutes afterwards!
    Me- 39 (turning 40 in April), TTC for the first time ever (since Jan 2015), low ovarian reserve
    Married 3/14/14 to my wonderful wife, but her sperm count is rather low
    TTC with frozen donor sperm and science

7 IUIs, 7 BFNs.
    2 IVF attempts, both cancelled and converted to IUI, both BFNs.
    Decided that my tired old ovaries are ready to retire.
    Next step- reciprocal IVF, using my wife's eggs, my uterus!  
    fresh 5 day transfer (2 embryos) 4/17/17- BFP! 
    Identical twins "due" 1/2/17 (but anticipated arrival sometime December)

• Options
    I appreciate all the great tips!!! I will post after tomorrows ultrasound.
    I like the idea of brining some music. I'm get super anxious if I'm nervous so I feel like the music will calm me down.

Has anyone taken femara and had issues were there follicles were slow growers?
  • Options
    I'm on my third month of Femara. At my mid cycle they usually have me wait a few days for extra growth. If that helps??
  • Options
    @katharinejackson2388
    I just recently completed one round of Femara . First ultrasound check I had two measurable at 12, a couple days later I had one dominant at 16, then two days later it matured at a 21. So I didn't ovulate til day 21. Currently in 2ww after iui. The procedure its self isn't too bad , just experienced some cramping during. Good luck