Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Anxiety after miscarriage

I know there's already a couple threads on this from quite a few years ago but I am 5 weeks since the initial m/c bleeding and anxiety/panic attacks are at an all time high. The attacks aren't even related to bleeding or the m/c though, I start to panic for no specific reason. I've always battled this but it usually only came about every 2-3 months but now it's 2-3 times a week. Has anyone else dealt with increasing anxiety in the weeks following a m/c and when did you start feeling better? I don't want to use Xanax to treat them because I don't want to rely on pills as a crutch. But I don't know how much longer I can take this constant anxiety!

Re: Anxiety after miscarriage

• Options
    I haven't had the anxiety so I'm sorry I can't relate there but I was and still am from time to time extremely depressed...my thinking is find something to put your attention on whether it's a item or photo or just a word (visualize spelling it) I would spell out our "baby name" in my head while I was miscarrying. Try one of those and see if that doesn't help the next time you start to feel an attack starting...I hope that helps...sorry for your loss
  • Options
    I'm so sorry.  

After I miscarried, I remember looking up 'post-traumatic stress disorder' and whether you could get that from a miscarriage.  It's really bizarre, because I can't remember why I looked it up; the whole period seems like a blur and I think I've blanked a lot of it out.  But I'm sure it would have been because of anxiety attacks.  Or rages.  

I have suffered from anxiety in the past and Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now really helped.  I think you can find talks from him on YouTube too.

In deepest empathy, 
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Sadly miscarried our first pregnancy 09.09.15
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you think counseling might help? I haven't had panic attacks from this but I did have what seemed like post-traumatic stress following a really bad accident DH had. I can certainly see how a miscarriage could cause the same sort of anxiety.
  • Options
    Im sorry you are having to go through this. I can relate I have had anxiety all my life, I had my miscarriage 3 weeks ago tomorrow I was 10 and a half weeks. It was my first baby. I go back to work tomorrow and I'm scared i will start having anxiety attacks again. Because I'm already having anxiety and depression but knowing people are going to ask me about everything I'm scared. I am a day school teacher for two year olds, seeing all my kids will be hard. I can say from my past that göoing to counseling does help with anxiety. But you have to find some who you feel comfortable with that you feel understands. I'm sorry you have to feel this way because I know it's awful!
  • Options
    I'm so sorry, @Kjcalloway for what you're going through. To answer your question, I have had anxiety since finding out about our MMC. I don't have a success story yet, as I'm in the middle of it. I have a history of anxiety and depression, so it's something I'll be talking to my doc about in the next couple weeks. I'm not a doctor, but Prozac had helped me with anxiety in the past. Don't feel bad if you need medical help. I don't think of it as a crutch. If I had diabetes, I'd take insulin if I had to in order to treat my medical condition. If I suffer from anxiety or depression, I'd take meds if I need to in order to treat that medical condition.

But counseling is a great suggestion too. Thoughts and prayers for you.

@jessiesquirrel I hope going back to work went okay. I'm sure working with little ones is hard at this time.

Me: 33     H: 36

Married: 12/14/13   DS: 1/29/09

BFP2: 10/9/15  MMC: 11/12/15

BFP3: 4/6/16   DD: 12/12/16