October 2014 Moms

For those cutting out sugar... I have questions.

So Ive been thinking about doing a 3-day sugar detox. I dont want to commit to a longer one just yet because Im 95% sure I wont be able to stick with it that long.

For those that are detoxing, are you following a certain plan or just cutting it out on your own?
Are you cutting out all carbs as well? Doing basically just proteins and veggies? What about fruit?
I feel like if Im going to do it for 3-days only right now, I need to be very strict with what I eat for it to count.
Any meal ideas? I need help.

How are you all doing with this?

Re: For those cutting out sugar... I have questions.

• I'm not trying to be bitchy (this time), I swear.

But, what's the actual point of doing a detox for 3 days?

For what it's worth, I don't understand people who do juice cleanses or a fast, either. I did that before, but it was because I had an eating disorder. I lost weight. I gained it right back.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @SPurp13‌
    Everything Ive read said it is supposed to help reset your body and take some of the craving for sugar away. I feel like I wanted to do this first and then just start trying to eat better afterwards. Ive been eating way too much sugar and carbs since LO was born. I think Im literally addicted to sugar.

FTR. It wouldnt be a juice cleanse. I read that that is not good to do when you are breastfeeding.

But honestly, Im way out of my league here and dont really know anyone IRL to ask about this. I know some here had mentioned doing this as part of New Years resolution. I just need to do something.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well, I will say this. People who advocate for the 3-day fasts do say the same thing--that they do it to mentally reset themselves or...something. That's what I told myself, but I think I just really wanted to lose weight. 

I'll buy that it maybe would work for cravings. Wouldn't work for me, because SUGARRRR. 

I mean, it definitely doesn't sound unhealthy. I just never know why people would want to do it...because, again. SUGARRRRRRR.
  • I do need to lose a little but the main reason I would do it is just to try to help get rid of the intense cravings I have for sugar. My mom was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and it runs in our family. I know I need to eat better or I could be on the road to being diabetic also.
  • I do need to lose a little but the main reason I would do it is just to try to help get rid of the intense cravings I have for sugar. My mom was recently diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes and it runs in our family. I know I need to eat better or I could be on the road to being diabetic also.
    It sounds like a good idea for you. I am no expert, but I wouldn't cut out carbs, too. I mean, vegetables have carbs. But, I'm generally against any "diet" or way of eating that cuts entire food groups out of your menu (unless you are a vegetarian or have religious or cultural beliefs). Carbs are ok!
  • Im thinking I might only cut out carbs for 3 days. Well, carbs like bread and pasta. I couldnt do it forever, but after the three days maybe slowly add it back in but in healthier varieties and smaller portions. I dont really know...
  • I'll chime in. I consider myself addicted to sugary foods too, and I successfully cut sugar out of my diet for years. (I do eat it now, but in much better moderation.)

Eat fruit and whole grain carbs. Going hungry by cutting out energy-dense foods will just sabotoge your efforts to cut out sugar. Plus, fruit and whole grains (think brown rice, 100% whole wheat bread, rolled oats, etc) have lots of fiber and vitamins that you don't want to miss.

Keep a food log where you record what you eat for three days. It helps immeasurably, because you're not going to want to write down "chocolate marshmallow heart" in you log. I kept a food log for 60 days and I can tell you: it's powerful.

Plan your meals around what you like to eat. It doesn't have to be about deprivation! A big plate of whole wheat pasta with grilled chicken, butter, and parmesan cheese and a side of gently cooked broccoli. Apples and peanut butter. Air-popped popcorn. Chili. Tacos. Curry. Whole wheat pancakes with fresh fruit instead of syrup. Oatmeal with cinnamon and a little handful of raisins instead of sugar. Veggie omelets. Roasted carrots! There are so many amazingly appetizing foods to eat that don't include sugar.

When you have a wicked craving and you know you're not really hungry, drink a glass of water. It helps me knock out the craving a little.

Like @SPurp13, I'm not a fan of the detox-y, fad-like diets... but I don't see cutting out sugar as faddish at all. You can do it, mama! Good luck and good health!
    Me: 31  ~  Copilot: 37  ~  Our son: 3/25/11 ~ Our daughter: 10/5/14
  • When I cut "sugar" I really just cut refined sugar. It helps me eliminate sweets from my diet essentially. I don't normally eat a lot of white rice and white flour so I don't think about eliminating those types of carbs. I still eat fruit and drink wine. Just nothing with added sugar. I have one cheat day a week. I don't crave sugar as much when I eat like this. I wouldn't say it has eliminated the cravings thought because I think that's more psychological. I still associate sweets with feeling good and happy. I think it would take a long time to change that association.

imageimageimage
  • I definitely believe that abstaining from sugar for a while helps you crave it less... For me it takes more than 3 days. But if I do a few weeks off of sweets or things with added sugar (a lot like what @Saragoeswest‌ was explaining) I stop craving it.
  • SPurp13 said:

... Wouldn't work for me, because SUGARRRR. 

I mean, it definitely doesn't sound unhealthy. I just never know why people would want to do it...because, again. SUGARRRRRRR.
    Well, sugar is more addictive than cocaine. No wonder everyone loves SUGARRRRR. Apparently wheat also has opioid components similar to heroin.

https://m.naturalnews.com/news/047495_sugar_saccharin_addiction.html

We are all scr*w*d... pass the chocolate truffles please!

On a serious note, I find that if I can start the day without sugar or refined carbs, I don't get on the blood sugar roller coaster and I don't crave the sweet stuff. I feel better but it's hard when you are hungry and typically what is within reach and easy (processed food in a box) is not the best choice.

• edited January 2015

SPurp13 said:

... Wouldn't work for me, because SUGARRRR. 

Well, sugar is more addictive than cocaine. No wonder everyone loves SUGARRRRR. Apparently wheat also has opioid components similar to heroin.

https://m.naturalnews.com/news/047495_sugar_saccharin_addiction.html

We are all scr*w*d... pass the chocolate truffles please!

On a serious note, I find that if I can start the day without sugar or refined carbs, I don't get on the blood sugar roller coaster and I don't crave the sweet stuff. I feel better but it's hard when you are hungry and typically what is within reach and easy (processed food in a box) is not the best choice.

--------
    I read that and I think that is what has made me really want to do this. It is a never ending cycle once you get started.

• ... Wouldn't work for me, because SUGARRRR. 

Well, sugar is more addictive than cocaine. No wonder everyone loves SUGARRRRR. Apparently wheat also has opioid components similar to heroin. https://m.naturalnews.com/news/047495_sugar_saccharin_addiction.html We are all scr*w*d... pass the chocolate truffles please! On a serious note, I find that if I can start the day without sugar or refined carbs, I don't get on the blood sugar roller coaster and I don't crave the sweet stuff. I feel better but it's hard when you are hungry and typically what is within reach and easy (processed food in a box) is not the best choice.

(weird quote happening)

If I start the day with something sweet, I"m fucked for the rest of the day. I gave up pop for a while, but now I'm back on the crack. I do try for it not to happen until the evening though. But I'm failing this week.
  •  I am cutting out all breads etc. Mainly just eating protein and veggies.  I am slowly getting there. I decided not to go full steam right away.  I have cut out a lot of refined sugars - candy, pastries, sweets, breads etc already.  Slowly working my way to cutting out Greek yogurt and a few other things with sugar slowly. 

Just trying to find new ways to cook protein and veggies. The cravings are getting to be less, and when I caved and had some vanilla coffee cream for the first time again - it was super sweet and I did't like it. I have also lost a few lbs. so that is encouraging. I notice I WANT to eat better. I don't as good as I do when I am eating healthier. 

Baked Chicken with a double portion of roasted veggies or steamed veggies is an easy one. 
    Eggs for breakfast - scrambled, boiled what ever. 

Whole30 has some good recipes

View Full Size Image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"